Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    Harv, there is a feature in BackupBuddy to delete the backup set (pres menu-D). Delete your backup and then make a new (full) backup and post how big a herd of elephants that one took.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by u_m_rasmussen
    Harv, there is a feature in BackupBuddy to delete the backup set (pres menu-D). Delete your backup and then make a new (full) backup and post how big a herd of elephants that one took.
    I just did that. (Is that your colorful Gypsy wagon parked outside?)..
    BackupBuddyVFS took 26 seconds to delete its backup, 189 files off my Plus USB card. I then told it to backup my 650 from scratch. 124 elephants.. err.. seconds from tap to done. Five meg free on my 650. Mapopolis and a huge map and pspeak voice files, SnapperMail with a couple hundred emails, a phone log that goes back nearly a year, camera pictures, a ton of SMS messages, God knows what else.

Yes, BBVFS makes incremental backups, so once you've done the first one, subsequent backups take mere seconds.

I have a bunch of other SD cards laying around here. I'll see if I can find one with enough space on it to use BBVFS to backup to and let you know how long it takes.

I still think this is splitting hairs through a microscope. A few seconds or a 100th of a second or whatever the Hell the difference is might be important in a drag race, but personally, I don't think a minute's difference is important when making a backup. I think the quality of the backup software is more important (I trust BB more than anything else I've tried) and the folding feature of the Plus USB card, again, in my opinion, FAR outweighs any slight speed disadvantage it might have (in a Treo), and, as others have stated, it is measureably faster when plugged into a computer's USB 2.0 port, (don't ask me why, I couldn't tell you..) .. and to me, and the ease with which it plugs in, the fact that you don't have to carry a card reader around with you (just something else to lose or misplace) are what puts it above standard cards. That's just my opinion. We can agree to disagree.

I also used it plugged into an iKey (http://www.ikey-audio.com - review coming soon) which rips line input audio from ANY source into mp3 and spits it out in real time to whatever USB device you have plugged into its other side, and I use the folding card for that - I can rip from vinyl, cassettes, or DVDs playing on my laptop, and then yank the card out of the iKey, shove it in the laptop and copy the files off the card onto the hard drive effortlessly, or shove it into the Treo and play the mp3s the iKey makes. I've never had a single glitch in an mp3 because the SanDisk card couldn't keep up with the data the iKey was sending to it. The iKey buffers a huge mouthful of mp3 audio and sends it out to the card while it's still taking line input, and you have to watch the tiny blue light on the SanDisk card which blinks so quickly as its being written to that if YOU blinked, you'd miss it.

Like I said, I'm not a PRPRPR $flack$ $for$ $SanDisk$. $I$'$m$ $not$ $a$ $stockholder$. $No$ $one$'$s$ $holding$ $a$ $gun$ $to$ $anyone$'$s$ $head$ $forcing$ $them$ $to$ $buy$ $this$ $or$ $that$ $card$. $Use$ $what$ $you$ $like$, $enjoy$ $it$. $I$'$m$ $happy$ $with$ $the$ $folding$ $cards$ $and$ $I$ $recommend$ $them$ $and$ $I$ $should$ $know$ $better$ $by$ $now$ $than$ $to$ $get$ $involved$ $in$ $benchmark$ $debates$, $I$ $went$ $through$ $it$ $for$ $years$ $with$ $Amiga$ $people$ (&$quot$;$my$ $060$ $is$ $fasterthan$ $your$ $060$&$quot$;..) .. $so$ $I$'$m$ $done$ $with$ $this$ $one$.

Harv
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12