1.    #1  
    What is the Best Encyclopaedia for a Palm Treo?
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    My solution: If you are willing to pay for Tomeraider3, then you can download for free the PDA file version of Wikipedia. It's listed at the Tomeraider site.
    http://www.tomeraider.com/index2.html
    The file is getting close to 1GB (size depends on whether you choose to have some or no images), and the valiant guy who transforms the database updates it every six months or so (last update: Jan 2006). I find it an unbelievable resource, esp since I travel a lot, and just checking out info on whether the medicines on offer are what I want has been of great value.

Tomeraider is a slightly clutzy Doc reader for general docs, but its great for these "list style" books and it has a large range of free stuff, including:

* the still unbeatable (IMHO) full version of Rogets thesaurus
    * The Internet Movie Database
    * CIA World Fact File
    * Incredibly comprehensive Word Net Dictionary.

I do a lot of writing and despite TR3 having a very basic interface, the reference texts you can access with it are the ones I use the most. So its not a bad investment in any case. (word of warning though- accessing TR files that pre-date the TR3 change in format is a hassle, but possible; and dont ever even dream of getting any feedback from the developer).

There are other ways to view Wikipedia on a Palm, esp if you have a Net connection, listed here

http://palmtops.about.com/od/palmtop...ipedia_pda.htm

Ive tried out a few Palm versions of the big commercial encyclopedias and they pale into the palest insignificance in comparison to Wiki.

Cheers

geoff
    Last edited by TRgEOff; 03/07/2006 at 05:04 AM.
    Howmuch of Tomeraider + data files can be run from the SD card? How much RAM (if any) does it need?
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    Howmuch of Tomeraider + data files can be run from the SD card? How much RAM (if any) does it need?
    All.
    None.
    Why install a giant file on your card when you can just go here on your Treo?

http://pda.en.wapedia.org/
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    how else are you going to fill the card??

and, believe it or not, many places in the world do not yet
    have net coverage!

cheers

geoff
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by TRgEOff
    and, believe it or not, many places in the world do not yet have net coverage!
    How Could That Be So?
    Just call me Berd.
    Then what are you doing with a Treo?
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kirvin
    Then what are you doing with a Treo?
    maybe you should be wondering what a goat is doing with a computer
    This is good too: Wikipedia (http://www.3g.co.nz/wiki/).

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY
    This is good too: Wikipedia (http://www.3g.co.nz/wiki/).
    Nice. I've been using wapedia but I think I'll change over to this site. It seems to load more quickly.

The tomeraider files takes about ~500MB using some of the latest data files, although I think it would be slightly bigger if you compiled them today...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    A lot tof the TomeRaider files I want are in the ver 2 format. Will I have to buy and install the Windows version of TR3 to be able to re-compile those to TR3 format?

Is there a Text-to-Speech utility that could "read" these books to me? Reading long novels on the tiny screen loses it's thrill after a while.

I tried Audible but am looking for free stuff. The free material compiled (TR2 format, unfortunately) is great if I could re-compile those to TR3 and have Text-to-speech.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    to read tr2 Files with tr3 you do need to convert them with the windows tr3. the good news is that the unregd version of the windows tr3 will do it fine. reg'n is only necessary to get the windows vn to read files properly on the pc itself - unregd prog skips certain parts text eg every 5th entry in list-based texts
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
    I use Answers.com mobile version for most my look-ups. Just type in what your looking for (i.e. Africa) you are then taken to your choice of

Dictionary
    Encyclopedia
    Geography
    WordNet
    Wikipedia
    Translations
    Best of Web
    Mentioned In

http://mobile.answers.com/

Wisdom sheds light on the knowledge you have accumulated

Palm Pre (Sprint)
    Quote Originally Posted by TRgEOff
    to read tr2 Files with tr3 you do need to convert them with the windows tr3. the good news is that the unregd version of the windows tr3 will do it fine. reg'n is only necessary to get the windows vn to read files properly on the pc itself - unregd prog skips certain parts text eg every 5th entry in list-based texts
    I installed windows version of TR3 and converted a few .tr files. Those went pretty well.

I tried a few SiteRaider script files as well. Those could not download/include any graphics into the TR3 files. I had Include Graphics selected.

This was an interesting exrercise. Any idea how to get the graphics in the Siteraider files? Some site content like BBC HEalth and How Stuff Works would benefit from graphics.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kirvin
    Why install a giant file on your card when you can just go here on your Treo?

http://pda.en.wapedia.org/
    Thats what I do!
    What can I say? A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do!
    Nokia 3360 -> Sony Ericsson t226 -> Sony Ericsson z500 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 680 -> AT&T Centro
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    I installed windows version of TR3 and converted a few .tr files. Those went pretty well.

I tried a few SiteRaider script files as well. Those could not download/include any graphics into the TR3 files. I had Include Graphics selected.

This was an interesting exrercise. Any idea how to get the graphics in the Siteraider files? Some site content like BBC HEalth and How Stuff Works would benefit from graphics.
    I havent used Siteraider. If its what I imagine, ie a prog to convert an HTML site to an eBook, I found Isilo very good for this, and its currently being discussed within:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=109837