Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Came across Call Log+ by Chapura. It apparently download the call log into the Microsoft journal (maybe I can finally use this program) and allow you to attach notes. Since I bill my time this might be a good way to capture these calls. Anybody using this?
    ...can prevent unnecessary threads.
    Global Posts
    860 Global Posts
    I've been using it for a while. It works just like the built in call log with the benefit of adding notes and page scrolling. I highly recommend it.
  3. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    I use it as well. Very good for keeping track of people who bill for time.

Twitch is your Call Log+ sync rather slow? Mine is, and all be damned if I can't figure it out.
    Global Posts
    860 Global Posts
    The first sync I did on my old PC was. I just upgraded PC's today and the sync was smokin. I'm not sure what the difference is.
    You might also wanna look at the Natara DayNotz / Comet Combo
  6. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    You might also wanna look at the Natara DayNotz / Comet Combo
    Does this combo integrate with Outlook?
    I have no idea. The fact that I have it in my "stuff to look at someday" folder would lean toward a "no" tho....as if it had any required Outlook functionality, I would have passed it by. That doesn't mena it doesn't just that it isn't req'd. Daytnotez has a separate Windows desktop component tho.

http://www.natara.com/DayNotez/index.cfm
    http://www.natara.com/Comet/index.cfm
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    Does this combo integrate with Outlook?
    Sorry, don't mean to "toot" my own horn, but I guess I've got answers to questions about Comet. Thank for bringing up the fact that Comet is a good alternative to the newly released Call Log+ in many ways.

No, integration or exporting to Outlook isn't something currently supported. I am considering export of data to Outlook as a future feature if we get enough demand, but currently it's not a "near term" item. That way we could satisfy both Outlook and non-Outlook users in some way.

If you are a big Outlook user you will however find that Comet has some strong resemblances in it's powerful grid layout. Like in Outlook, you have the ability to sort, group, and filter your data in a variety of ways. You can group simply by dragging colum headers to the group box. Typically, you would group and sort by year and month. You can group or sort by almost all of it's columns ( Year, month, day, date, duration of call in minutes, seconds, roaming, name, number, peak hour, incoming, outgoing, missed, etc.) You can also apply quick "excel like" column filters or more elaborate logical (and/or/not...) filters to your data. Groups can be tallied by the duration columns, or other columns counted, etc. Its great for figuring out how much time you spent talking to a client, when the last time was you called your mom (or when the last time was your daughter called you). You can get approximations on how many minutes you've spent on your calling plan (given your calling plan is not elaborate and mainly based on minutes and possible peak times).

When you need to get the information "out" of Comet, you have the option to export it to excel format, XML, CSV, HTML, or text.

It's also great at archiving those growing call logs OFF your Treo. You can set an auto archive based on history count (Leave X number on the device), age (older than..), none, or all entries at each sync. Given I've had the product installed longer than anyone else, it's probably no surprise I've got phone records I can go through that go back to 2003 when I used it with my Treo 300. I've never had to worry about losing any call history in that time except for any records that never made it through a hotsync before a crash.

And, yes, I'll be the first to point out that A) Comet does NOT integrate or exchange any type of data with Outlook at present. I don't think we will ever make it sync directly with Outlook, but as I mentioned the hope there is that it will someday have a feature to post call records into Outlook for those that desire that type of thing. B) Comet currently does not support the taking of notes in the same manner that CL+ does. Currently the option in Comet (on the device) is to create a DayNotez (Natara's journaling software for Palm) entry with some of the call information of the last call in the history database and let you add your notes from there. Are there plans to enhance the note taking capability? Yes. When...well, I can't say right now... but CL+ certainly has lit a fire in regards to more feature enhancements for Comet.

Comet is free to try for 30 days. I recommend you give it a try. I do not, however, recommend you enable any of the archiving features (they are off by default) unless you plan to stick with Comet or don't care about archived entries making it over to another similar product such as CL+ (once archived, entries can not be returned to the device). Archiving is a great feature of Comet. I use it heavily. I just don't want anyone upset because they tried the product and archived half their entries off the device and then decided they needed those entries over on some other product or back on the device.

Yes, you can have Comet and CL+ installed at the same time, but you may get "holes" in your call history on one side or the other if either side has archiving turned on.

Give both products a try. If you live in Outlook or absolutely need the ability to take notes while on a call, then CL+ is currently the way to go. If you want a non-Outlook solutions with a powerful data viewer and a great price, then you may find Comet more to your liking. To be honest, I've only spent a small amount of time looking at CL+. I think I personally had way to many things "going on" with Outlook because it tended to slow down my sync time. It was probably just my system. Comet can get bogged down also, but mainly if you have a large number of items in your call history database (until they get archived).

Please feel free to ask other questions you may have about Comet or email me directly. I am glad to try and answer them. Links were already posted above so I won't bother to do it again. I've probably already abused the "no sales pitches" so I'll end here. I'm think you should go with the product that best suites your needs, even if that is the competition.

Regards,
    Bryan Nystrom
    Natara Software, Inc.
    Nice summary Bryan .... at least now I know you are not Bobby

Are there any "combo deals" available...for example like Nothglide combines several of their programs into a "NeatFreakpak"....do you guys do anything like this ?
    The other thing I would like to mention is that tho I love the idea of a prgram like DatePak, not evryone has a palm or Pocket PC device....what about BB's and desktop programs liek Outlook , Lotus Notes and Lotus Organizer.
    (hmmm, not sure about the "Bobby" reference?)

No, we don't have any bundle deals right now.
    If you check over at PalmAddicts (Sammy's site) we do have a discount coupon running over there for PalmAddict visitors which you may find handy.

DatePak is foremost an app to produce handheld calendar packs. We really were not targetting desktop, but the thought has crossed our mind to support something like iCal (not iCal in the Mac sense but the standard). The data format that the desktop tool produces is XML, so I suppose a crafty person could use XSL to message it into another format useable by some of the other systems. I don't want to sidetrack this thread though, so feel free to write us or go to our user forums and make suggestions there.
    Bryan Nystrom
    Natara Software, Inc.
    Bobby Nystrom - http://www.nshl.com/teams/nystrom.html

Note my location Bobby scored the goal thta gave the Islanders their 1st Stanley Cup.

Yes I saw the coupon....posted a link here too.

It's just that I keep in contact with a lot of Professional Engineers and after spending all day designing skyscrapers, bridges and the like, seems they can't handle anything as complicated as a smartphone . A solution that reaches 8 outta the 10 peeps you gotta reach isn't a solution