Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    hello, i'm going to seattle soon and want to go to summit at snoqualmie and to crystal mountain. anyone out there from washington, or have the washington maps loaded, can you try and see if you can map this on your tomtom because i couldn't:

1001 State Route 906
    Snoqualmie Pass, WA 98068

33914 Crystal Mountain Blvd.
    Crystal Mountain, WA 98022

this sucks big time not being able to map those. is it because its in the mountains? i was able to do park city and the canyons on a recent trip to utah. i find that tomtom cannot map quite of few address, while mapopolis (when i had it) had no problems.
    I have always had trouble using addresses on highways with Tomtom. I never know how to enter them. Also, it appears that TomTom does not have 906 as a street option although it will show it as a I90 bypass thorough Snoqualmie Pass if you browse the washington map in that area. I was able to plan a trip from city center of Snoqualmie Pass to Crystal Mountain as a POI under Parks and Recreation Areas. Wants to take you down a series of NF routes. Don't know if that helps at all.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by jrfaris
    I have always had trouble using addresses on highways with Tomtom. I never know how to enter them. Also, it appears that TomTom does not have 906 as a street option although it will show it as a I90 bypass thorough Snoqualmie Pass if you browse the washington map in that area. I was able to plan a trip from city center of Snoqualmie Pass to Crystal Mountain as a POI under Parks and Recreation Areas. Wants to take you down a series of NF routes. Don't know if that helps at all.
    hmm ok i found something called snoqualmie national forest under parks and recreations. but not even sure if that will take me to the ski area. i did find something called crystal mountain in parks and recreation as well but how the heck would i know if thats the right place or not? doesn't give me an address, all it says is crystal mountain. i guessi should try a advanced planning and see a demo of the route.

my home area is issaquah. so i need to go from there to the summit at snoqualmie and issaquah to crystal mountain.
    <p> try using crosstreets. works for me when TT cannot find the location I want. </p>
    Quote Originally Posted by jjennings
    <p> try using crosstreets. works for me when TT cannot find the location I want. </p>
    OK. However, in this instance it does not seem to have Hwy 906 as an option for Snoqualmie Pass. And it seems you have to know what city the intersection is in. It's unusual because 906 is shown and labeled on the map.
    Quote Originally Posted by islandsnow
    hmm ok i found something called snoqualmie national forest under parks and recreations.
    I used center of town & snoqualmie pass. Alternatively, you could use point on map and just pick a spot on 906. It is show as a short loop of I90.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by jjennings
    but that means you have to know the area to know what the cross street is?
    Just curious, does it not show the address, or can it find it, but not a route?
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  9.    #9  
    I used center of town & snoqualmie pass. Alternatively, you could use point on map and just pick a spot on 906. It is show as a short loop of I90.
    how do you find the center of town? what town? seattle? or snoqualmie? i guess i could randomly point on the map until i kinda find the right spot but isn't that defeating the whole purpose of having a gps map? besides, if i am unfamiliar with the area, i'd just be pointing aimlessly at areas on the map. the software should be able to do it as long as i provide the address. unless its because these places are so far off the beaten path that no one cares to route to these places. i'm sure if you stick to the city areas, there is no problems.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Just curious, does it not show the address, or can it find it, but not a route?
    nope, it cannot find the address. i put in the city (snoqualmie), it finds snoqualmie wa, which is correct. next i type in the street, state route 906, or st, or rt, or any combination of abbreviations or fully spelled out and nothing comes close. cross street? who knows! places way out in the boonies might not even have a cross street for miles. so what good is that. if i knew the cross streets, maybe i wouldn't need a gps!
    I don't know the area, so I have no idea how developed it is. But sometimes, with an address like State Route 906, it could listed as anything. SR 906. Route 906, etc. But it seems you've tried all the combos.

Sorry, at a loss.

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  12.    #12  
    I don't know the area, so I have no idea how developed it is. But sometimes, with an address like State Route 906, it could listed as anything. SR 906. Route 906, etc. But it seems you've tried all the combos.

Sorry, at a loss.
    naw, don't be sorry... just one of those quirks i guess. but its frustrating looking for places. even in my area, in the middle of city, it wouldn't like certain street numbers. so i have to route to somewhere near, and then manually look on people's homes for the actual number i want to get to.

even the POIs are confusing. i can understand why the categorize it. but sometimes i don't know what category a particular POI falls under. do i have to go thru each one? ridiculous. i wish there was an advanced search feature that will search across all categories, although it might take time as i'm sure there are thousands of POIs.

does anyone have other experiences with other gps software maybe on the ppc side? TT when working, does eventually get me where i'm going. but sometimes its frustrating just making a route!
    how do you find the center of town? what town? seattle? or snoqualmie? i guess i could randomly point on the map until i kinda find the right spot but isn't that defeating the whole purpose of having a gps map? besides, if i am unfamiliar with the area, i'd just be pointing aimlessly at areas on the map. the software should be able to do it as long as i provide the address. unless its because these places are so far off the beaten path that no one cares to route to these places. i'm sure if you stick to the city areas, there is no problems.
    Center of Town is an option on the second page of icons when selecting a departure or destination location. Point on map is also there. With point on map, you can then use the magifying glass to find the town of snoqualime pass (not just snoqualime, that's a different town) and then just select a point. (Actually it finds snoqualime pass a little west of it's actual location so you have to drag the map east to see it). This is definitely an are where Tomtom data is not accurate.
    does anyone have other experiences with other gps software maybe on the ppc side? TT when working, does eventually get me where i'm going. but sometimes its frustrating just making a route!
    I have a PPC device and run Mapopolis. I've gone through all the MS Street & Trips, Delormes, Routis, and Destinators (but never TT.) Always come back to Mapopolis. But they all have pluses and minuses.

15.    #15  
    I have a PPC device and run Mapopolis. I've gone through all the MS Street & Trips, Delormes, Routis, and Destinators (but never TT.) Always come back to Mapopolis. But they all have pluses and minuses.
    yeah i used to have mapopolis on my ppc and it never had a problem when i routed to crystal mountain some 3 years ago. the map isn't as nice as TT but i didn't find myself looking down at the map too often and relied on the voice prompts. in TT, i find myself looking at the map half the time to make sure i am turning off on the right road.
  16.    #16  
    Center of Town is an option on the second page of icons when selecting a departure or destination location. Point on map is also there. With point on map, you can then use the magifying glass to find the town of snoqualime pass (not just snoqualime, that's a different town) and then just select a point. (Actually it finds snoqualime pass a little west of it's actual location so you have to drag the map east to see it). This is definitely an are where Tomtom data is not accurate.
    thanks, i guess i never ventured over to the second page of the navigate to page. most times if i have an actual address, i would expect the map would pick it up. i mean if i were to enter these addresses into google maps, or mapquest, it shows up. so why can't TT do the same instead of me pointing to the center of some city or aimlessly pointing around on the map.
  17.    #17  

by the way, i did a google map, and it shows center of town of snoqualmie WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY off from where i want to go. maybe 20 miles off! so center of town is definately unacceptable.
    thanks, i guess i never ventured over to the second page of the navigate to page. most times if i have an actual address, i would expect the map would pick it up. i mean if i were to enter these addresses into google maps, or mapquest, it shows up. so why can't TT do the same instead of me pointing to the center of some city or aimlessly pointing around on the map.
    Agree. It's frustrating that the route numbers are shown on the map but can't be identified as a street.
    by the way, i did a google map, and it shows center of town of snoqualmie WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY off from where i want to go. maybe 20 miles off! so center of town is definately unacceptable.
    Try Snoqualmie Pass. Snoqualmie is about 25 miles away from where you want to go....
    Last edited by jrfaris; 03/06/2006 at 11:30 PM.
    Just discovered something else. Using Streets & Trips, your address in Snoqualmie Pass returned a location in the town of Cle Elum. Cle Elum includes a street Hwy 906 but no house numbers. If you put in the town of Cle Elum and the street of Hwy 906 you can select an Exit or Cross street that puts you close. Sometimes resorts use more recognizable names for their location instead of the actual town name. I tried using the zip code from their web site but that also linked to the inacurate Snoqualmie Pass location.
    Last edited by jrfaris; 03/07/2006 at 12:27 AM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast