Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 28 of 28
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by jrfaris
    Just discovered something else. Using Streets & Trips, your address in Snoqualmie Pass returned a location in the town of Cle Elum. Cle Elum includes a street Hwy 906 but no house numbers. If you put in the town of Cle Elum and the street of Hwy 906 you can select an Exit or Cross street that puts you close. Sometimes resorts use more recognizable names for their location instead of the actual town name. I tried using the zip code from their web site but that also linked to the inacurate Snoqualmie Pass location.
    did you try the crystal mountain address? i understand that these so called resorts are really small time compared to the likes of vail, aspen, keystone, breckenridge, park city, snowbird, etc etc etc... so maybe map data isn't as accurate for these guys.

    its a wonder though that google maps hit those two address right on the nose though and i wish TT could do the same. even with these obscure addresses.

    thanks for checking it out though. i almost bought street and trips too but didn't.
  2. #22  
    Actually I did and got this:
    33914 Crystal Mountain Blvd
    Enumclaw, WA 98022

    Didn't go back to TT to see if that worked though.....
  3. #23  
    Sorry for the late reply. I am from Seattle. Try White Pass for Crystal Mountain and Hyak Lodge for Snoqualmie Pass. In either case you should be able to browse the map and find what you are looking for.

    I am not sure what Tomtom version you have but Nav5 does a better job with general searches like that.
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottydon't
    Sorry for the late reply. I am from Seattle. Try White Pass for Crystal Mountain and Hyak Lodge for Snoqualmie Pass. In either case you should be able to browse the map and find what you are looking for.

    I am not sure what Tomtom version you have but Nav5 does a better job with general searches like that.
    hello, thanks for the reply. i guess you are from seattle so you know of these places (white pass, hyak lodge, etc). but for me or anyone thats unfamiliar with the area, we can't always come to the discussion board and ask people about these places that TT cannot find. i'm glad i came here ahead of time to post, but imagine me sitting somewhere in issaquah trying to get to crystal mountain without a clue where it is? its like me asking you to come to hawaii, and have you find your way to top of mauna kea mountain without any knowledge of any lodges near by or cross roads, etc.

    i ended up tapping all over the map until i found something that i think was close to the summit at snoqualmie with the help of google maps. if it wasn't for google maps, i would still be tapping away trying to find that ski area. is TT maps incomplete? i still keep wondering why places like google maps or mapquest can find these places but a gps software and its maps cannot. maybe its a space issue where if they included obscure places like these, it would make the maps several hundred gigabytes instead of megabytes, i don't know...

    i'm sure i am on TT nav5. it says my version is 5.1.20. wow if nav5 does a better job, i would hated to be on nav4
  5.    #25  
    just came back from washington. MORE FRUSTRATIONS!!!!!!!!!!! i can understand maybe TT won't have mountain side addresses, but right in seattle??? COME ON TOMTOM!

    i rented a car from dollar rent-a-car. the return address is 15858 independence blvd, seattle wa... i enter seattle, wa, thats fine. i enter independence blvd, thats fine. when i try to enter 15858 it tells me "please enter a value between 16000 and 21599"

    WHAT THE FAAAAAAAAAK?! this is right in seattle and TT cannot find that street number? am i entering it wrong or is TT that SHETY? i am beginning to hate TT. now don't tell me to tap all along the map on international blvd until i find something close to that number. thats unacceptable. and when i tried searching for dollar via the POI, it found couple of dollar rent-a-cars, but all it shows is the name dollar and how far it is from where i currently was in issaquah. why doesn't it show me the address of the POI?! what good is it if it routes me to the wrong dollar?!

    can someone try and see if they can map out that address i gave above without it telling you to enter a starting number of 16000! i know 16000 is close enough to 15858 but thats not the point! i thought this was supposed to have door-to-door directions, not door-to-somewhere near directions.
  6. #26  
    OK. I believe you meant to say International Blvd. This seems to be very similar to the problem you were having with the ski resorts. The problem is that SeaTac airport is not actually in Seattle proper. There is a separate listing for SeaTac, but it turns out that is not where the address is listed either. It will locate 16000 International in "SeaTac" but not 15858. That is actually located in Tukwilla according to Tomtom. Well, not quite, for some reason, Tomtom lists the street as Tukwilla International Blvd not simply International Blvd in Tukwilla. Whew! Gotta admit, this is really not a functional location search system. It relies too much on a high level category such a city (or POI category) to narrow the search. Actually in this case both SeaTac & Tukwilla are cross referenced to Seattle and it is appending Tukwilla in front of the street name that causes the street number search to fail. Anyway, I share your frustration because it appears that this Dollar lot is not in the Tomtom POI database. I've used them on several occasions but have to admit I got there using a AAA paper map....
    By the way, Streets and Trips finds the address as a Seattle address and shows a Dollar facility at that location.
    Last edited by jrfaris; 03/15/2006 at 10:49 AM.
  7.    #27  
    oops sorry, yes international blvd... anyway, it seems that i still need to keep around a paper map as well. when TT can find the address, its pretty good. but i'm finding a lot of times it cannot. and where would i even know about tukwilla!!! :P i bet you google maps wouldn't have a problem finding that dollar.

    at least you can confirm that the POI doesn't even show that dollar location. but just by searching the POI and returning results of several dollar locations, i can't tell where they are really located since there is no street address associated with the search results. just the distance in miles from where you currently are. am i searching the POI wrong or is that another quirk of TT?

    Quote Originally Posted by jrfaris
    OK. I believe you meant to say International Blvd. This seems to be very similar to the problem you were having with the ski resorts. The problem is that SeaTac airport is not actually in Seattle proper. There is a separate listing for SeaTac, but it turns out that is not where the address is listed either. It will locate 16000 International in "SeaTac" but not 15858. That is actually located in Tukwilla according to Tomtom. Well, not quite, for some reason, Tomtom lists the street as Tukwilla International Blvd not simply International Blvd in Tukwilla. Whew! Gotta admit, this is really not a functional location search system. It relies too much on a high level category such a city (or POI category) to narrow the search. Actually in this case both SeaTac & Tukwilla are cross referenced to Seattle and it is appending Tukwilla in front of the street name that causes the street number search to fail. Anyway, I share your frustration because it appears that this Dollar lot is not in the Tomtom POI database. I've used them on several occasions but have to admit I got there using a AAA paper map....
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by islandsnow
    at least you can confirm that the POI doesn't even show that dollar location. but just by searching the POI and returning results of several dollar locations, i can't tell where they are really located since there is no street address associated with the search results. just the distance in miles from where you currently are. am i searching the POI wrong or is that another quirk of TT?
    No, there are several posts about that problem. The only work around I've found is to browse the map to see where the facility is located. It's very cumbersome. POIs are Tomtom's greatest weakness. I find that using POI in a city instead of just POI sometimes helps but in this case, it may not. At least it usually helps to reference the distances to a known city rather than your current location.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions