1.    #1  
    If you pair the BT420EX with the Treo 650 by the usual method, the headset functionality will be limited. It will not ring in the headset. The transfer of calls to the headset and the hanging-up of the calls will not be reliable.

This pairing (and adding the headset ot the Trusted device list is to be done just once.

Here is what you need to do after each soft reset:
    Make sure BT is on, headset os on. Call the Treo. Answer the call on the Treo. Press the big button on the headset for 5 seconds to set the headset into the "discover" mode. The LED on the headset will flash orange. Press the button on the headset again a few times. The call will transfer to the headset, the BT icon on the Treo will turn into a headset.

That's it. From now on (until the next soft reset), the headset will ring, answer calls, hang up correctly. It will also transfer calls to the headset on outgoing calls.

Hope this helps the few who might have bought the BT420EX....
    Last edited by aprasad; 03/05/2006 at 08:57 PM. Reason: correction
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    What do you mean by "Press the big button on the treo" What is the big button? I think you mean the big button on the headset?
  3.    #3  
    Of course. Edited.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    can these same instrctions be implemented for the bt450rx aprasad?
    i have the headphones but there in the 10 hour charge
  5.    #5  
    You may not need to. I am assuming that the 420EX was an early release product with glitches. I hope the 450RX will work as designed.

The Compatibility page of 420RX has all kinds of information specific to phone models. Treo is not listed there as a compatible phone. The Compatibility page for 450RX has no such limitations listed ...

http://www.bluetake.com/products/BT4...420EX_subC.htm
    http://www.bluetake.com/products/BT4...450Rx_subC.htm

I'm going by the adage: Newer = better :-)
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    I try this, it does discover the headset (ask for the security code). Then I get a popup windo saying connection in progress. It does that for a while and finally the message dissapears. But I can not seem to connect the call to the headset When I try again I get same message, but no connection. After I hang up, the 420EX is in the trusted devices. Suggestions?
    Well, I tried something a little different.

Before I had taken the headset out of the trusted devices. I left it in the trusted deviced and redid your process. Now it seems to work.

So now I can answer and hang up via headset. Also, when connected to the dongle and listening to music from the computer, when the call comes in, the music stops, I get a coll on my headset, answer and when done connects back to the dongle. Now I just need to play with ptunes and SAG.
  8.    #8  
    You did it right the 2nd time.

Do not remove the headset from the trusted devicle list. As I said in my original post: That process is required just once. Leave the Palm Bluetooth application alone after you have added the device to the Trusted list.

The other brief re-pairing is needed after each soft reset. This is when you set up a call and while in the call (on the Treo), put the headset into discoverable mode. Then when you press the headset button, it will transfer the call to itself and behave properly from then on.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM