Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by swilcox
    As reported by the phone crash log? That's not a very reliable way of determining who caused the crash.

My experience: NO fatal exceptions by Chatter (or anything else on my Treo, for that matter, although I did have a rash of them several months ago caused by Butler, and the phone crash log reported that Chatter was running when the crash happend. True enough, but I'm 100% certain that it was Butler that caused the crashes, and an updated Butler fixed them too.)
    Two ways: first checking the crash log. Second, when I press the button to enter Chatter, I get a crash ~10% of the time. It also happens about once a day when getting email. Not a huge deal. I can handle it. But Chatter (for me) is not the rock solid app many make it out to be.
    I will publicly thank these guys since the bug they fixed was largly a bug affecting me and my Domino server. For those of us who enjoy Domino, there is finally a real problem solver for messaging other than RIM.

Thanks Snapper!

Derek
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    Two ways: first checking the crash log. Second, when I press the button to enter Chatter, I get a crash ~10% of the time. It also happens about once a day when getting email. Not a huge deal. I can handle it. But Chatter (for me) is not the rock solid app many make it out to be.
    Well, I still think something else is wrong. I must press the email button to enter Chatter 100 times a day, and I NEVER (no, never) get a crash. And it NEVER crashes when getting mail. That's with many months of very heavy daily use.

Chatter is rock solid for me. It's obviously not for you. Logic tells me the problem is not solely Chatter (maybe some interaction?). Have you worked with Marc to try to isolate the problem with Chatter logs?
    Quote Originally Posted by swilcox
    Well, I still think something else is wrong. I must press the email button to enter Chatter 100 times a day, and I NEVER (no, never) get a crash. And it NEVER crashes when getting mail. That's with many months of very heavy daily use.

Chatter is rock solid for me. It's obviously not for you. Logic tells me the problem is not solely Chatter (maybe some interaction?). Have you worked with Marc to try to isolate the problem with Chatter logs?
    I know there's something wrong. That's why it crashes. :-) I don't think the problem is solely with Chatter, but since I use other things on my Treo as well, that isn't really the issue. I haven't tried to isolate the issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    I know there's something wrong. That's why it crashes. :-) I don't think the problem is solely with Chatter, but since I use other things on my Treo as well, that isn't really the issue. I haven't tried to isolate the issue.
    Well, you can't complain about a problem if you aren't gonna try to solve it:P

Are you running Verichat by any chance?
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    Chatter has been very stable for me, as was Snapper when I used that. I've stuck with Chatter for a variety of reasons, but the ability to work in the background, extremely fast manual mail fetching, and using push on an as-needed option have been great for me. Attachment handling is also outstanding...
    Psion 3a > Palm Vx w/ Omnisky > Blackberry 850 > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700P > Apple iPhone
    Quote Originally Posted by ShannonElements
    Well, you can't complain about a problem if you aren't gonna try to solve it:P

Are you running Verichat by any chance?
    Yes, but it never crashes. Granted, something funky could be going on in the background, but every single crash in the last 3 months or so has been either checking mail, opening an email or clicking on a link in an email.
    As I said, I'll deal with it. And complain about it. :-)
    SnapperMail has been updated to Version 2.3.4.01
    Version 2.3.4
    2006.03.28 PUBLIC RELEASE

• FIXED
      • * IMAP: Uploading Message to various IMAP servers works correctly.
      • * IMAP: Uploading Messages with binary attachments to IMAP servers works correctly.

BTW Snappermail did never ever crashed on me!
    I have licenses for both Snappermail and Chatter and have used both extensively. I find both applications to be very stable and have recommended Snappermail to several friends at times. I personally find Snappermail to be much slower getting email. It also will not fetch in the background, which Chatter will. Does Snapper support multiple IMAP folders (and levels of folders) yet? That is also a necessary component of my IMAP accounts.

They are both good email programs - get the one that you feel most comfortable with.
    The deal-killer with snapper is lack of background check.
    I know Chattermail v. Snappermail has been discussed many times, but the most recent thread the search turns up is over a year old.

I've never been particularly unhappy with Versamail -- figured its shortcomings belong to the Treo more than the application. and I have no particular need for push or pseudo-push, and once I finally got Versamail working with Gmail, I figured was pretty well set.

my biggest beef is Versamail seems rather clunky in its fetching -- frequently stumbles as it initiates the connection, starts PCS Vision, connects to mail server, bla bla bla -- and consequently fetching mail seems to be about a 50-50 proposition. & when it fails, there's a bit too much drama -- all those wretched little suicide notes (Unable to Establish PPP Connection) -- more importantly, they render the Treo unusable for anywhere from 1-5 minutes. the worst is when it seems to hang right when it's fetching and the progress bar freezes, and i don't even have the option of cancelling.

if these characteristics of Versamail are absent from Chattermail or Snappermail, I'll try'em out -- but if that's just how Treo e-mail tends to work, I'll save my money.
    Don't know about SnapperMail, but I can tell you about my experience with ChatterEmail: I don't fetch. I don't ever notice that my Treo is getting email. It's just there. (But that's because of push, so if your beef is with clunky fetching, maybe you ought to reconsider whether you could use push.)

I hear people say they don't "need" push. Fine. But does having your email there, when you want it, without it hanging your Treo doing fetches, what's the problem? Just because a bunch of email is sitting on your Treo, without you fetching it, doesn't mean you have to read it.

No drama, no error messages, no rendering the Treo unusable. Just mail when I want it.

And if you want it to fetch, then set it up to do that. You still won't notice it's doing it.
    i have and love snappermail, but i wont be upgrading to this "update".......i dont really care about push email, but i wish they would fix the dissapearing emails/sd card(or ram) problem though.
    !! uNo.....DoS.....tReO!!

http://www.myspace.com/ljj8503
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12