Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1.    #1  
    Hello all,

    Great forum. I just got my Treo 650 less than a week ago. I still have a PalmV so while I'm a new Treo owner, I'm an old Palm fan. I'd also consider myself a "power user".

    I love this device... when it works properly. I've upgraded to the latest Sprint firmware, done some hard resets... I've had MANY resets, in everything from Calendar, Phone, VersaMail... to some third party apps including TCMP.

    I bought MissingSync for my Mac, and just got a 2GB card yesterday.

    Can anyone suggest what I should do to avoid the crashes? I am on limited time however, I only have 14 days to exchange the device "no questions asked" and I'm leaving the country in less than a week.

    I've read other posts and most people say if you are having crazy problems like this it's a hardware issue and get a new device... is that a common thing? Could I have a bad unit? Is it possible it's overheating or something?

    Thanks in advance!!

    ~Mike
  2. one918's Avatar
    Posts
    229 Posts
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    #2  
    You will find people who believe most crashes are related to third party apps. I have to agree. I have had issues with my Spint Treo Firmware 1.12a with as many resets as 2-3 times a day.

    You need to do a hard reset, name your backup folder backup.old, or whatever you desire. When you hotsync again with your username, you will have your preferences and contacts back, but none of your third party apps. It's a good idea to install only 1-2 apps at a time, and leave it on for 2-3 days to determine if they cause crashes. That way it's easier to narrow down the programs which cause crashes.

    I was having recent problems with crashes, I was beginning to think it was a hardware problem, but after I hard reset, I have been crash free for about a week now. I still need to start loading apps again, but I think I will start with Verichat and Butler, I think 1 of the 2 is the culprit.

    Your only problem to do it the way I suggested is that time is not on your side. I would just determine the apps that are most important to you, that you need. Start with those and if you don't have problems, then it is a toss up if you want to keep the Treo to slowly add more apps later...
  3. #3  
    Given your time crunch, and if they'll take it back no questions asked, just return it for a new one. Maybe it's not a hardware issue, but it sounds like you don't have the time to invest to find out.
  4. mgauss's Avatar
    Posts
    743 Posts
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    #4  
    Isn't about time Palm started shipping products with "tested software" in them? A group of good bundled software that just does not crash. Once you add to it OK all hell breaks loose, but at least one stable platform to build on.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by TUnit
    Given your time crunch, and if they'll take it back no questions asked, just return it for a new one. Maybe it's not a hardware issue, but it sounds like you don't have the time to invest to find out.
    I agree with TUnit. When you get a new one, follow WTF suggestion. Do a clean install as per PALM support website. I suspect you did a shortcut hotsync from your old Palm device straight to your Treo650 which would render it worthless with uncontrolled resets.

    Also download dbscan to check your Treo files. A corrupt file can also cause recurring resets. Read the "Sticky" Sections in this forum. They're great resource for getting your new Treo working the way it should (like mine, from day 1 a year ago.)

    I'd stay away from Butler for now until your Treo is working properly
    Ed
    Visor Deluxe, Prism, Visorphone, Treo 270, Treo 600, Treo 650, and am eagerly waiting for the next generation Treo...but wait...is that the iPhone????
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikepikefl
    Hello all,

    Great forum. I just got my Treo 650 less than a week ago. I still have a PalmV so while I'm a new Treo owner, I'm an old Palm fan. I'd also consider myself a "power user".

    I love this device... when it works properly. I've upgraded to the latest Sprint firmware, done some hard resets... I've had MANY resets, in everything from Calendar, Phone, VersaMail... to some third party apps including TCMP.

    I bought MissingSync for my Mac, and just got a 2GB card yesterday.

    Can anyone suggest what I should do to avoid the crashes? I am on limited time however, I only have 14 days to exchange the device "no questions asked" and I'm leaving the country in less than a week.

    I've read other posts and most people say if you are having crazy problems like this it's a hardware issue and get a new device... is that a common thing? Could I have a bad unit? Is it possible it's overheating or something?

    Thanks in advance!!

    ~Mike
    if you post all the 3rd party apps you are using someone here will know which ones cause resets. Most resets are caused by 3rd pary apps.
    _____________
    Visor -> Treo 650 Cingular UNLocked (Cing. Blue Phone on Orange Network) -> vzw 700p -> VZW Centro (much better)
  7.    #7  
    Thanks for the responses.

    So I just did a hard reset to start fresh even before restoring my data, and tried one of the things that crashes the phone pretty reliably- use Web to go to mail.yahoo.com. Used the 5way to navigate to "OK" on entering my password and BOOM.

    Should be a relatively mundane task no?

    So far I haven't gotten it to reset any other way yet. Should I dump VersaMail and Blazer for better clients?

    I called Sprint and I think I may exchange it just in case, like TUnit said... it probably can't hurt and no questions asked works for me. I even called to make sure it was ok since I removed the UPC to get the rebate!

    ~Mike

    EDIT:

    So I installed JUST TCPMP in order to test that out (I'd really like to watch some DivXs on my 8 hour plane ride across the big pond!), and while it played for half an episode of Family Guy... it soft rebooted on me.

    Again, this was after a hard reset, and I renamed my entire Palm directory so it was a fresh reset, and then I only installed TCPMP.
    Last edited by mikepikefl; 03/05/2006 at 08:45 PM.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo Rat
    I suspect you did a shortcut hotsync from your old Palm device straight to your Treo650
    Actually no! Since my PalmV battery died a while ago, and I don't have a proper serial-to-USB converter running for my Mac, I haven't used the PalmV in a long time.

    I've read most of the Sticky sections, mostly for info on my problem though, I'll rescan soon. I'll also check out dbscan... but never heard of Butler.

    I wasn't doing anything TOO crazy.

    Quote Originally Posted by bling300c
    if you post all the 3rd party apps you are using someone here will know which ones cause resets. Most resets are caused by 3rd pary apps.
    So since it's not that big, here is a complete list since I got my Treo less than a week ago and I have a 5 month old son so my time is not my own

    1. eReader for Palm (from CD)
    2. TCPMP (to play DIVxs from SD card)
    3. Toccer (for AIM)
    4. Verichat (AIM/MSN Trial)
    5. TuSSH
    6. ChatterEmail (after VersMail kept locking)
    7. MyssingSync 5 (for mounting SD card on Mac)
    8. Adobe Reader (from CD)
    9. DocsToGo (upgraded from website, original from CD)
    10. Solitare (from the CD)
    11. Tetris (from CD... trial only, to be deleted)


    Thanks for all the help, and the quick replies- once I get this all sorted out I anticipate to be an active member here.. .


    EDIT:

    So I talked to my wife's cousin, who has had his Sprint 650 since Christmas day. He has YET to have a SINGLE crash! While I wouldn't call him a power user, he at least uses the browser a lot- something I simply cannot do. So I do feel better- and I'm going on my lunch break today to exchange my phone.
    Last edited by mikepikefl; 03/06/2006 at 09:07 PM.
  9.    #9  
    Ok, so I exchanged my device.

    Got set up with Sprint Vision. I opened "Web" and navigated to mail.yahoo.com.

    I surprisingly logged in successfully, and got to the point where I could read my email... AND BOOM, it reset. "Fatal Exception".

    Does anyone else have a Yahoo account they could try with?

    This is really getting ridiculous.
  10. #10  
    Yahoo works, no question.

    You have a decent amount of 3rd party apps. You might want to try installing them one at a time over a week or two period. Once you get a crash, you will know what is causing the conflict.

    Also, after a crash it is always a good idea to type ##377# into the dial pad. It will tell you what caused the crash. (Not always the clear answer to the issue though as some other program could be conflicting with an otherwise stable one)

    Good luck
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by robber
    Yahoo works, no question.

    You have a decent amount of 3rd party apps. You might want to try installing them one at a time over a week or two period. Once you get a crash, you will know what is causing the conflict.

    Also, after a crash it is always a good idea to type ##377# into the dial pad. It will tell you what caused the crash. (Not always the clear answer to the issue though as some other program could be conflicting with an otherwise stable one)

    Good luck
    Thanks for the advice. I don't want to jynx myself, but after I did the latest Sprint update, totally trashed all my backups (including contacts, yech) and basically started from scratch with the new unit, I'm doing much better.



    I wish there was more info available using ##377, or even a detailed history/log of more than just the LAST crash. Sometimes it even shows up as a crash in "unknown", which is *AWESOME* (sarcasm).

    EDIT:

    While I've had better luck, I've had a few panic attacks- waiting for the page to download for example, didn't click anything... screen goes black. LONG string of explitives... but no reset. "Oh, it went to sleep".
    Last edited by mikepikefl; 03/07/2006 at 12:09 PM.
  12. one918's Avatar
    Posts
    229 Posts
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    #12  
    Could be Vericrash...Took me while before I finally found a stable version (2.89b). But usually it will say when Verichat causes the crash. I love the "unknown"...

Posting Permissions