1.    #1  
    Okay, figuring that this question has been addressed - if not resolved - many times I did a search on both Google ("Nub on 5 Key Treo 650") and through the forum here, but could not find a definitive explaination as to why there is a little nub on the five key. I surmise that it has something to do with aiding the visually impaired...
    I think the nub is there so you can find the numeric keypad and dial a number without looking (e.g., while driving).
    Palm user since 1999-04-16: III > IIIx > Vx > Sony N610c > SJ33 > Treo 650 GSM > Centro CDMA
    Quote Originally Posted by Keefer Lucas
    Okay, figuring that this question has been addressed - if not resolved - many times I did a search on both Google ("Nub on 5 Key Treo 650") and through the forum here, but could not find a definitive explaination as to why there is a little nub on the five key. I surmise that it has something to do with aiding the visually impaired...
    You're correct (I think I answered this here before)

All modern phones have this, either on, or surrounding the 5 button. (So do remote controls and elevators)
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Not just the visually impared...for example, many calculators have the same feature....so you can sort of touch type...take care, jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    All computer keyboards have nubs on the F and J keys. As ilovedessert said, it is so you can find your position on the keyboard without looking. The Treo keypad and numeric keypads such as a calculator or phone are small enough that a single key nub is sufficient.

Next time you are going to use the keypad on your Treo try looking at the screen, not the keypad, finding your position by the nub then typing without ever looking at the keypad. With a little practice you can become quite good at it. Takes a little more time to learn well than on a keyboard though.
    It's there for her added pleasure.
    at&t Treo 680, SW 2.11-ATT
    Cingular Treo 650 Unlocked, SW 1.17-CNG/FW 1.51
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    Wow, I just checked my remote too, it has a little nub also. Pretty cool.
    Palm IIIe -> Visor Deluxe -> Palm 505 -> Clie tj37 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700P
    Quote Originally Posted by jgm
    All computer keyboards have nubs on the F and J keys. As ilovedessert said, it is so you can find your position on the keyboard without looking. The Treo keypad and numeric keypads such as a calculator or phone are small enough that a single key nub is sufficient.

Next time you are going to use the keypad on your Treo try looking at the screen, not the keypad, finding your position by the nub then typing without ever looking at the keypad. With a little practice you can become quite good at it. Takes a little more time to learn well than on a keyboard though.
    I think the keyboard is strictly for orientation, and touch typing

The phone has to so with the ADA and a Telecommunicatons act passed about ten years ago.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    I think the keyboard is strictly for orientation, and touch typing

The phone has to so with the ADA and a Telecommunicatons act passed about ten years ago.
    You mean there's nub police!
  10.    #10  
    I am a fairly speedy touch typer and I have to say that the nub on any of my devices has ever been that "handy" for me.
    (Jeez...I can't believe this is a valid thread topic)

For the visually impaired? If that were the case, they probably would've made it so that the keyboard could be read in braille.
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    Quote Originally Posted by ShannonElements
    (Jeez...I can't believe this is a valid thread topic)
    Since we thrashed the 700P thread to death its been pretty boring, we'll talk about anything now.