1.    #1  
    I searched but couldn't find anything on this.

I just contacted Palm support about the Mac 1.20 unlocked GSM install- which still does not exist- and below the sig of the email was this:

"No written advice or information sent to you by Palm may be resent, distributed or posted on any media accessible to the public (including, but not limited to, any Internet site or bulletin board) without Palm's prior written consent."

I haven't had to contact the oh so helpful folks at Palm in quite a while and was surprised to see such wording. I was going to give my Mac / GSM homies a look at Palm's response to my inquiry- until I read the above.

Why wouldn't Palm want their advice to be shared, especially if it helps others?
    You just violated it by posting the above quote !
    Quote Originally Posted by winebrat
    I searched but couldn't find anything on this.

I just contacted Palm support about the Mac 1.20 unlocked GSM install- which still does not exist- and below the sig of the email was this:

"No written advice or information sent to you by Palm may be resent, distributed or posted on any media accessible to the public (including, but not limited to, any Internet site or bulletin board) without Palm's prior written consent."

I haven't had to contact the oh so helpful folks at Palm in quite a while and was surprised to see such wording. I was going to give my Mac / GSM homies a look at Palm's response to my inquiry- until I read the above.

Why wouldn't Palm want their advice to be shared, especially if it helps others?
    What looks like the right solution -- will be provided to another -- in a wrong situation and cause a worse problem that the person then blames on Palm?

Or just a corporate attempt to maintain control over intellectual property?
    They probably don't want it posted publicly because it is usely not helpful. JackNaylorPE is right. They're coming to get you. Lock your door and hide in the basement with a gun.

I am no legal expert but I would guess that unless they advised you of such and got your agreement before sending you the email I doubt they can enforce it. Think about it. If a company says nothing about non-disclosure then gives you proprietary information then after that gives you a non-disclosure agreement and you don't sign it, are you obligated in any way? I think not.

They probably just hope their bluff works.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by jgm
    They probably don't want it posted publicly because it is usely not helpful.
    I liked your first point.