Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    My current SD card is full and I am have some problems backingup some of my programs using backupman. If I buy a 2GB Memory Card, how can I transfer all my data from the old SD Card to the new one? Thanks guys.
    Alfred
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    use card reader..
    copy all data off card onto desktop.
    format new card in treo (not required but I just believe they play nicer together)
    copy everything to new card
    Use Care Reader of Softick Card Export to copy files to desktop and then back. Use same SD card name if you want everything to work. You can rename old one afterwards to use both.
  4. Liv
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Thankfully SD cards don't have registries, so you will be able to copy the informtion from one to the other seamlessly your treo won't see a difference besides finding extra space
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Thank you guys for this information
    If you do not use the BackupBuddy desktop to back up your SD card on a hotsync -- I would suggest copying your SD card contents (with a Card Reader or other method) to an appropriately named folder on your PC as a backup strategy. A normal HotSync does not do this -- It will save you the time of "recreating" the contents of your SD should the need occur.

Cheers, Perry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    If you do not use the BackupBuddy desktop to back up your SD card on a hotsync -- I would suggest copying your SD card contents (with a Card Reader or other method) to an appropriately named folder on your PC as a backup strategy. A normal HotSync does not do this -- It will save you the time of "recreating" the contents of your SD should the need occur.

Cheers, Perry.
    In addition to what Perry said above, you will want to make a new folder in your My Documents folder and label it something like SD Card BU Mar052006 then simply drag and drop from your SD card and reader to the folder. You can store multiple files like this on the HD and I often will do a backup of my SD card to the HD after every major software update I do, particularly with volatile programs like PTunes. That way you will have a record and if your computer should ever go down, you can more easily recover from My Documents than from the Desktop. If you are into Custom ROMS, I also keep a backup of my most recent Custom ROM with the installer still on the card in my Treo does strange things I can make a new SD card and reflash the ROM.

Also, I noticed that my previous card was filling up quickly and found that I had inadvertently scheduled backups to occur to the card at a precise time each day (11:10PM) and after each hotsync. The backup was such that I had nearly 15 days of 7 meg back up files from the daily and many more from my hotsync operations. You would do well to explore, using the backup program of your choice just how many data sets you have backed up and get rid of them. Most backup sets over 2 weeks old are IMHO useless. A friend proved this well by upgrading to a 650 from a treo. He did his install correctly to the new Treo but had a reset while in the field. He used a backup set that had been for the 600 and I think you can imagine the rest when he restored.................

Bottom line is backup to your computer hard drive frequently. Do NOT depend on BackuBuddy to do a SD card backup for you. Secondly, review your data sets that you have backed up to the SD card often and discard. I keep no more than 2-3 backup sets at a time.

Regards,

Jim
    Last edited by DrCJ; 03/05/2006 at 12:24 PM.
    hi, it's possible to make a card backup with treo650 using bundled software?
    tnx
    Nope. You would have to copy the files to your computer manually using a card reader.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    Not sure if it was mentioned, but make sure to name your cards the same thing so that utils that move apps to the card will know where to look
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.