Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Yes, IMAP will 'push' your E-mail, so as long as your client supports IMAP, you will basically have instant E-mail. POP, as you know, will only check at intervals from your client. I don't know the answer but I suspect less data is used with IMAP because the client is waiting for data to be sent to it from the host. The only time data is used is when there is data to be sent/received. With POP, the client is sending data just to check with the host. POP is much less efficient in that regard.

Where you pay with IMAP is in battery life. The more IMAP folders you keep online, the bigger the drain. To counter-act that, in my case I just keep my Inbox online and sync the other boxes at intervals since information contained within those boxes is less time-sensitive. I am able to access all the mail in the other boxes at anytime and changes are updated during the sync.

The other big advantage, IMO, with IMAP is that your mail remains synchronized on all the devices you use to access the account(s). That's a big plus if you access your E-mail via the web, handheld and/or Outlook depending on where you are.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY View Post
    Yes, IMAP will 'push' your E-mail, so as long as your client supports IMAP, you will basically have instant E-mail.
    Thank you for the explanation.
    Regards,

Allan C.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345