Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I ditched snappermail... I respond via chattermail with the correct SMTP profile of one of my various accounts.

I also get filtered emails (by google gmail) pushed to me of the local classified. Pretty cool for bargain hunting. Would have came in real handy for the old goldwing that was given away last week when I was recovering from St. Pattys day.
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chatter
    nonobeez - No, this is ABSOLUTELY WRONG. You can get calls on a 1xRTT phone unless the data connection is active; having a data connection has no effect whatever. I have a LOT of experience with this.

Marc
    Hey Marc, I've been using chattermail's trial on my 700p for the past couple days and I love it. What I was wondering though is if it's only possible to buy chatteremail through your site, or if it's possible to buy it somewhere else for a little cheaper. I'm just looking for the best deal and thought I'd ask.
  3.    #63  
    It's already pretty cheap, I think (compare to Snapper with far fewer features at $59.95). The reason it's cheaper is that I DON'T sell at other sites (except mytreo.net at the moment).

Marc
    Disclaimer: feel free to tell me if this is not the right place for a question like this.

I'm looking toward to getting a 700p and I would like to move from the POP world into the IMAP world. One question I have though is there a way to "populate" a new IMAP server with all the emails that I have stored on my laptop over the last 6 years (3-4 thousand)? Maybe a better word would be transfer, or migrate?
    Thanks for any help.
    3x5cards, 2cans, string->Pilot->Palm V-> Palm Vx-> Sony SJ30(a weak moment on ebay)->TungstenT-> Treo600-> Treo650-> Treo700p-> Treo755p
    Is Mac mail an IMAP.?

I have an account with Mac.com
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by markatdvcrc
    Disclaimer: feel free to tell me if this is not the right place for a question like this.

I'm looking toward to getting a 700p and I would like to move from the POP world into the IMAP world. One question I have though is there a way to "populate" a new IMAP server with all the emails that I have stored on my laptop over the last 6 years (3-4 thousand)? Maybe a better word would be transfer, or migrate?
    Thanks for any help.

If you haven't yet you may want to install Mozilla Thunderbird on your desktop. Once it's done you want to install the Mail Redirect extension. Once you have set up your 'old' POP (or any mail) account and if your existing emails are no longer in your pop server, you can choose "Tools|Import" to import emails from your desktop's Outlook (or Outlook Express). Afterwards you can highlight the messages you want to 'migrate' to your new IMAP (or any mail) account and choose "Message|Redirect". Enter your new account's email address in the "Resent-To" box and all the messages will be redirected/migrated to your new account.

I believe there are other ways to accomplish this. But at least I believe this way works. (Well, I haven't really tried the Outlook import but I believe it *should* work.)
    T R E O s t i l l R O C K S - to a certain extent
    Current: AT&T Tilt/HTC 8925/Kaiser
    Retired: AT&T Treo 750, VZW Treo 650, 700p, *700w, *700wx (* = loaner phone from Palm)
    Tried: AT&T Samsung Blackjack i607
    It looks like both my web host and ISP support IMAP, but I'm lost on how to configure my mail clients to enable IMAP, and also whether or not I need to anything on the server side.

My web host has autoconfiguration tools for Outlook and Outlook express, but I use Thunderbird and Snappermail for clients. I'm more interested in IMAP for folder synchronization than push capabilities, and I'm fine with SMTP for outgoing mail.

Is enabling IMAP just a simple matter of changing the Incoming Server on a mail client to imap.domain.com instead of pop.domain.com, or do I have to contact my host? TIA.
    OK, I answered my own question by setting Incoming Server to mail.domain.com. So now I can get my incoming SprintPCS and Gmail message through my ISP's domain, while using Gmail as my exclusive From/Reply To address. So far, very cool.

Now, in spite of what I said in the last post, I'm becoming more curious about configuring for push capability. Does Chatter have some secret recipe for this, or can I configure Snappermail or Versamail to accomplish the same task?
  9.    #69  
    Push is possible directly with compatible IMAP servers and Exchange server that provide OWA access. POP3 mail can be forwarded to a compatible IMAP server for the push experience, or SMS triggers can be configured (assuming the POP3 server allows forwarding, which Yahoo and Gmail do).

Marc
    Thanks Marc. Right now I'm forwarding my POP3 message through my ISP's IMAP server. I hesitate to implement SMS triggers, despite them working for me in the past, since I've read a few recent posts about Sprint now possibly charging for incoming SMS. I have a 100 message monthly allotment, and while I use fewer than 20 text messages a month, email would totally push me over the limit if inbound SMS really does count.

In the meantime, I'm downloading a trail version of Chatter now.
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    The first post of this thread was extremely educational. It's unfortunate that there is a lot of garbage after that. Some of the questions and comments did explore additional nuts and bolts issues...again, very enlightening. Thanks to Marc and others for their time and expertise.

I have wanted to move from POP to IMAP but haven't taken the plunge. I understand the benefits. My main issue has to do with the ultimate location of emails received. Eventually, server space gets used up, otherwise keeping mail on a server rather than locally is appealing.

Does anyone have any strategies for using IMAP and periodically archiving emails from the IMAP server? Is there any benefit of setting up one's own mail server on a machine so that the mail is "local" but accessible via the net, rather than using a host?

I would like to have about 7000 emails from the last 5-6 years consolidated in one place and managed via IMAP. I have a project to bring together emails currently stored on an OS9 iMac (OE) and a Windows XP box (OE) and a Windows laptop (OE), especially the Sent Items in each of these, since that is where they differ the most.

Thoughts?
    Palm III > Treo 600 > Treo 650 (Sprint) > Treo 700p (Sprint)
    Macbook C2D 2.0GHz
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    A follow-up to my previous post:

It occurred to me that one could use IMAP as the default way to manage an email account on an on-going basis, but one could also do a POP retrieval on the same account every once in a while to remove older email from the server permanently. This would enable one to "archive" older emails but still use IMAP for active/current emails. Eventually, emails would end up on the local hard drive for backup, and the IMAP server space would not get maxed out.

Does anyone use this type of set-up? Is it viable?Any pitfalls?
    Palm III > Treo 600 > Treo 650 (Sprint) > Treo 700p (Sprint)
    Macbook C2D 2.0GHz
    That is essentially what I do except I don't use POP, I just copy the e-mail I want to archive to an Outlook PST file on my hard drive.
    What are the names of the incoming, and outgoing servers for fastmail?
    Matty
    Try, mail.messagingengine.com, for the IMAP server and, smtps.proxy.fastmail.fm (if you want to use SSL), for the SMTP server. You can find more information here (http://www.fastmail.fm/docs/faqparts/FMFAQ.htm).
    Global Posts
    860 Global Posts
    mail.messagingengine.com for both, I believe.
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Edge (Upgraded for $100.00 just by giving them the Serial # of my Visor Deluxe plus I got to keep the Deluxe. Those were the days!)-> Palm M-505->M-515->Tungsten T->Zire 72->Treo 650->->Treo 700P->Treo 755P. Plus various replacements. 8130 Pearl....Sorry
    Thanks, I'll give it a shot tomorrow.
    Matty
    I plan to forward filtered E-mail from my office to a unique address that I will use exclusively with my Treo 680.
    This should be a small number of E-mails from selected clients.

In this scenario, is there any advantage to using IMAP vs POP3?
    Regards,

Allan C.
    If the mail host you are forwarding to supports IMAP and your Treo E-mail program does too, you'll get those messages faster then if you use POP and the Treo has to poll at pre-configured intervals. All of the other pros/cons of IMAP vs. POP still apply. I guess the main question is, how fast do you need to receive those messages on your Treo?
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY View Post
    If the mail host you are forwarding to supports IMAP and your Treo E-mail program does too, you'll get those messages faster then if you use POP and the Treo has to poll at pre-configured intervals. All of the other pros/cons of IMAP vs. POP still apply. I guess the main question is, how fast do you need to receive those messages on your Treo?
    I am using Rogers as ISP for voice and data here in Canada.
    We have our own domain (not with Rogers) and they support both POP and IMAP. In addition, we are using OutLook 2007.
    I have never used an IMAP account and do not know very much about it.
    Is IMAP a 'push' type E-mail? If not, then how would I receive my E-mails quicker.
    In other thread, I asked how many bytes are used for a polling that does not send or receive any E-mails but I never received an answer.
    Regards,

Allan C.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast