Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Chatter
    Are you sure? I'm not saying that you can do both, but that you can choose to answer a call, thereby disconnecting data.

Marc
    Yes, you can chose to accept the call but you can't do both at the same time unless you're doing voice and WiFi. I thought that was what you were referring to.
  2.    #42  
    But just choosing to accept is HUGE, IMO. One of the biggest complaints about data now on CDMA phones (1xRTT) is that those calls go directly to VM.

Marc
    I would put Resco Locker in the class of dangerous applications (I know of at least two users who got into serious reset hell with that); it's an attempt to fix applications that don't deal with memory properly, but it has the potential to do a lot of damage if used with applications that DO deal with it properly. It is a "hack", to say the least!

Marc
    Hmm, news to me.. I don't lock applications that lock themselves (Butler, Volume Care, and PTunes are the three that come to mind) but otherwise it makes things much more stable. The occational soft reset never rips up [un]saved preferences like it used to. In fact I used to have to restore prefs about once a week, now I haven't had to except for one oddball time.. Some program crashed, Treo reset twice in a row, came back with the prefs wacky. My guess is Resco wasn't loaded yet and something nailed the prefs with a reset.

My Treo is very stable now, has been for months. Quirks here and there sometimes when I install new software, but generally if I have problems with a program or version of a program, other people do to..
    But just choosing to accept is HUGE, IMO. One of the biggest complaints about data now on CDMA phones (1xRTT) is that those calls go directly to VM.

Marc
    Yes, but only when you're actively transferring data. You can still be using Blazer and have calls ring through as long as no data is being transmitted when the call comes in. True data and voice (EVDV) will be really nice.
  5.    #45  
    I'm in favor of that as well!

Marc
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man
    Nope. It's the same as 1xRTT which can also ring the phone while you're using Blazer. Neitehr 1xRTT or EVDO can ring the phone while the data connection is actively transferring.

We 6700 owners know that all too well. The only way to do voice and data at the same time is to use the WiFi.
    You guys are confusing things, let me set this straight:

1) If you have an active ev-do connection and a call comes in, your phone WILL ring and you can answer it. Your ev-do connection at the same time will suspend during the call and resume after.

2) You cannot, however, be on the phone and receive data on ev-do at the same time.

So, what this means is that yes, while you are receiving or sending email or IMing or whatever on evdo and a call comes in YOU WILL RECEIVE it unlike 1x where it gets sent to voicemail automatically but your download or whatever will PAUSE.

And yeah, I have a 6700 with ev-do too and others can back me up on this.

ps and yeah, everything here should be deleted except the original post. sorry for going OT.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 03/06/2006 at 08:44 PM.
    Thank you for summing up what we were trying to get at. Once we get EVDV, we'll be able to talk and surf at the same time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta
    You guys are confusing things, let me set this straight:

1) If you have an active ev-do connection and a call comes in, your phone WILL ring and you can answer it. Your ev-do connection at the same time will suspend during the call and resume after.

2) You cannot, however, be on the phone and receive data on ev-do at the same time.

So, what this means is that yes, while you are receiving or sending email or IMing or whatever on evdo and a call comes in YOU WILL RECEIVE it unlike 1x where it gets sent to voicemail automatically but your download or whatever will PAUSE.

And yeah, I have a 6700 with ev-do too and others can back me up on this.

ps and yeah, everything here should be deleted except the original post. sorry for going OT.
    The ultimate test... can you stream audio or video and receive a call?
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
    Quote Originally Posted by nonobeez
    The ultimate test... can you stream audio or video and receive a call?

The phone will ring, but if you answer streaming stops.
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingjunior
    Exactly.

I have to admit having that ability is quite nice. It's not perfect but a lot better than 1x where you just flat out miss the call.

And as 2000 Man says, when ev-dv (or even ev-do rev. a?) you'll be able to do both at the same time--although the idea of streaming music while on the phone does pose some interesting problem
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingjunior
    This is verified by? On what EV-DO device? I don't want a message relay but verified info. I thought EV-DO still did not accept voice calls even with an inactive data connection.

I did read somewhere else that Palm was going to do something (like send a special signal via SMS) so that one could accept a call while using a data connection. This is in addition to EV-DO.
    Um, even 1xRTT accepts calls during and inactive data connection.

The EV-DO device that we're using is obviously the 6700 since we're also talking about WiFi.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man
    Um, even 1xRTT accepts calls during and inactive data connection.

The EV-DO device that we're using is obviously the 6700 since we're also talking about WiFi.
    The 700w has WiFi option... I don't want to assume anything. Previous posts have stated that you CANNOT get an incoming call on a 1xRTT phone if you have a data connection, even if not actively transferring data.
  14.    #54  
    nonobeez - No, this is ABSOLUTELY WRONG. You can get calls on a 1xRTT phone unless the data connection is active; having a data connection has no effect whatever. I have a LOT of experience with this.

Marc
    The 700w has WiFi option... I don't want to assume anything. Previous posts have stated that you CANNOT get an incoming call on a 1xRTT phone if you have a data connection, even if not actively transferring data.
    Wrong.

Marc is correct.
    nonobeez - No, this is ABSOLUTELY WRONG. You can get calls on a 1xRTT phone unless the data connection is active; having a data connection has no effect whatever. I have a LOT of experience with this.

Marc

Thanks for the clarification... and you were dead on with your ***** comment!!!

Without getting off topic, I downloaded chatter and setup a AIM account, have all my yahoo and gmail accounts forwarded to it and am pushing mail to my 650 problem free!!!

Still using Snapper to respond to emails, but I will probably migrate over in the very near future. Keep up the good work!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by zelgo
    I suggest that the sticky be locked after the first post. Erase the rest.
    Yeah, ummm...no. I spent time out of my life posting those comments, and I'd rather they weren't deleted. Locking the thread however, is a whole other ball game. I for one am opposed to comment deletion and locking of threads, unless things start to REALLY get out of hand.
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    Still using Snapper to respond to emails, but I will probably migrate over in the very near future. Keep up the good work!!!
    So you're receiving your mail with Chatter AND Snapper, sending with Chatter, and replying with Snapper? Damn that must be confusing...
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    Quote Originally Posted by ShannonElements
    So you're receiving your mail with Chatter AND Snapper, sending with Chatter, and replying with Snapper? Damn that must be confusing...

receiving with Chatter. When I do need to respond via the Treo, I press "s" and it brings up Snapper (via butler).

Just a temporary solution for now. I have been using Snapper for awhile but looks like I might migrate to Chatter....

IMAP is definitly the way to go... AIM seems to work good but I might pay in the future once I am better informed about IMAP services.
    receiving with Chatter. When I do need to respond via the Treo, I press "s" and it brings up Snapper (via butler).

Just a temporary solution for now. I have been using Snapper for awhile but looks like I might migrate to Chatter....

IMAP is definitly the way to go... AIM seems to work good but I might pay in the future once I am better informed about IMAP services.
    I was one of the very first Gmail adopters, and have had my account for going on 2 years now, and I didn't want to lose it just because they don't(yet) support IMAP. So I opened up a free FastMail account to forward my Gmail too, and let me tell ya, FastMail's so great it's actually got me thinking of making the switch. Gmail's interface is still more intuitive than any email program I've used, though. I have't tried everyone.net.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast