Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Chatter
    I stand by my original reply. [...] what a ***** you are ...
    Keep building up that impressive portfolio of "attacking your audience", it works so well.

No need to thank me for the three people who bought Chatter based on *my* suggestion back before I had my first big problem with Chatter (likely around b23 if you know when that was, based on a post I found).

They still like it, so good for everyone. Two are ex-blackberry users, the third is just an email junkie. All three run very little except a few small programs and at least two of them use VolumeCare (also on my suggestion). They don't read forums, so they occationally come to me asking my suggestion on a software solution.

I swear though, if you call me a ***** once more I'll have to change my avatar to your face with a "you're a *****!" talk bubble in the mouth. (Had to edit that line a bit, it sounded a wee crude at first)
    Global Posts
    860 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus
    Keep building up that impressive portfolio of "attacking your audience", it works so well.
    I'm enjoying it.
    Not the issue.. I had long ago done that. Yes, the first time was partially my mistake, but why did it loop forever the way it did? Something along the lines of a mailbox being missing, then it'd reset.

This more recent time it simply crashed while retrieving mail the first time (perhaps doing a mail sending test.... I can't remember) and looped from there until I did a hard reset.
    Hmmm, well if it mentioned something about a missing mailbox then that's definitely a result of having moved Chatter to your card I don't know why it looped forever. If I could tell you why the Treo does some of the things it does then I'd be a very rich person I once had my Treo go into an infinite loop for seamingly no reason at all. The only reason I could think why that happened was because of the low amount of RAM I was working with. Do you use IMAP or POP? POP seems to be much more problematic. I know a lot of people seem to run into problems when they try and sync their entire mailbox. I can't help but to think your problem isn't with Chatter. Chatter has never crashed my Treo. It's one of the most stable apps that I own, and even now, I'm using a beta.
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    Quote Originally Posted by ShannonElements
    Do you use IMAP or POP? POP seems to be much more problematic. I know a lot of people seem to run into problems when they try and sync their entire mailbox. I can't help but to think your problem isn't with Chatter. Chatter has never crashed my Treo. It's one of the most stable apps that I own, and even now, I'm using a beta.
    I switched (after talking about it for two years..) to imap about a year ago. Nice having the same exact email, draft, sent, folders, etc, no matter what client I use.. Webmail(s), local console email (pine), Thunderbird, Palm client, whatever..

I've tried pop too, since I have that available here, and was actually using it for simplicity on an email that was *highly* filtered that I would retrieve with the Treo, vs the email that's just filtered for spam/etc. I get a lot of mail that's informative but I don't care to read on the go.. Anyway, that's way off point.
  5.    #25  
    khaytus - If you've had a problem, the right thing to do is bring it to my attention and work toward a solution. Whatever you might think, I wrote up this thread as a public service; attacking me here is offensive, IMO.

Marc
  6.    #26  
    everyone.net has excellent hosting plans and an excellent IMAP service w/ spam protection and filtering.

Marc
    WARNING!!! Using Fastmail IMAP Chatter was killing my Treo's battery and causing me to miss tons of calls, so I had to delete my IMAP account. Thus right now I'm strictly using POP for all my email and have not missed any more calls...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Let me jump in here and give my two cents.

Disclaimer/Notice: I'm a webhost that uses Chatteremail. I don't know Marc and other than using Chatteremail I have no connection to him.

This thread outlines the obvious (to us that know the protocols) benefits of IMAP over protocols such as POP3 and I believe this information should be spread around as much as possible. For those of you who might not have figured it out POP3 is horribly inefficient in more ways than just bandwidth. POP3 daemons that you download your email from require more server resources (on average) than IMAP when dealing with large amounts of email stored on the server. In more basic terms it slows the server you are downloading your email from down.

With all that said I will also give my two cents about the idea of this topic being spam. How is this topic spam in any way? Does Marc have a link in the post to anything to do with Chatteremail? Though entitled to it does he have a signature linking to Chatteremail in the post? I don't see any so I'll just say no.

I see that khaytsus does have links in his signature that point to his websites or websites he likes. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this and it should be allowed but, it also brings up the question of is his post spam? Answer: No.

khaytsus -

Maybe because you're a ***** and you deserve it?

Marc
    Ouch! That is a bit harsh don't you think? I know from first hand experience that users/clients will push every button you've got in every combination. You may just get finished helping five well meaning but, less than Treo literate users only to come see another bad mouthing you. I just ignore comments if they have no legitimacy and go on about my business.
    Zach Roberts
    Director - Lifeless People Networks Ltd.
    http://www.lifelesspeople.com/ - Pay by Post™ Webhosting
    khaytsus -

Maybe because you're a ***** and you deserve it?

Marc
    LOL. funny.

anyway, i can vouch for Chatter. I love this program so much, now all my friends/ family members grown to love it too.

It is SOLELY because of chatter that I am not able to switch to a WM 5.0 device ....-yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by trim81
    LOL. funny.

anyway, i can vouch for Chatter. I love this program so much, now all my friends/ family members grown to love it too.

It is SOLELY because of chatter that I am not able to switch to a WM 5.0 device ....-yet.
    As much as I hate Windows I have to add the following.

Me too.
    Zach Roberts
    Director - Lifeless People Networks Ltd.
    http://www.lifelesspeople.com/ - Pay by Post™ Webhosting
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    WARNING!!! Using Fastmail IMAP Chatter was killing my Treo's battery and causing me to miss tons of calls, so I had to delete my IMAP account. Thus right now I'm strictly using POP for all my email and have not missed any more calls...
    Not so sure about battery life, but with EVDO this will no longer be a problem.
    I think (!) that gfunk was kidding...

But I am curious, EVDO has separate data streams for voice and data, finally allowing both to occur at the same time without interrupting each other? Or just enough bandwidth to do both at once, perhaps. That'll be nice. I hope UTMS will be the same, you know, for that next-after-next Treo model most likely.
    I have been running Chatter for quite a while (since it was an IM-only program). My 270/600/650 is always full of many programs, and often these are beta programs. I have occasionally had troubles with beta versions of Chatter, but never had it put my treo(s) into hard reset loops. (AIM is a whole other story.)

khaytsus:

Do you have a full backup of your treo? If you do, it would be interesting for you to remove all SD cards, do a zero-out reset of your treo, add back in only Chatter, and see if it crashes (or goes into a loop).

If it does reset, you either have:

1. a bad treo, or
    2. a corrupt download of chatter

If it doesn't reset, then you should gradually add back in applications until the behavior is manifested.

Have you tried these steps?
    I haven't, but I possibly would have if I had been asked to do some debugging and investigation on the matter.

Pretty sure my Treo is good, it never crashes unless something simply goes wrong (AvantGo wireless sometimes.... Last night I had a bad entry in DateBk crashing hotsync that was fixed with dbScan, otherwise very few resets). It's possible it's another third-party program interacting, but really I don't run anything bizarre, Volume Care, Butler, Fonts4OS5, Resco Locker, etc.. Pretty common stuff around here.
  15.    #35  
    I would put Resco Locker in the class of dangerous applications (I know of at least two users who got into serious reset hell with that); it's an attempt to fix applications that don't deal with memory properly, but it has the potential to do a lot of damage if used with applications that DO deal with it properly. It is a "hack", to say the least!

Marc
    I think (!) that gfunk was kidding...

But I am curious, EVDO has separate data streams for voice and data, finally allowing both to occur at the same time without interrupting each other? Or just enough bandwidth to do both at once, perhaps. That'll be nice. I hope UTMS will be the same, you know, for that next-after-next Treo model most likely.
    No, EVDO cannot do voice and data at the same time. EVDV is the one that can and it's many years away.
  17.    #37  
    Yes, but EVDO can ring the phone while data is in use and give you the option of answering (rather than automatically going to VM); at least that's my understanding.

Marc
    Yes, but EVDO can ring the phone while data is in use and give you the option of answering (rather than automatically going to VM); at least that's my understanding.

Marc

That is my understanding also......Which if you take the call while viewing a chatter message will it go back to the message after you hang up?

Marc
    Nope. It's the same as 1xRTT which can also ring the phone while you're using Blazer. Neitehr 1xRTT or EVDO can ring the phone while the data connection is actively transferring.

We 6700 owners know that all too well. The only way to do voice and data at the same time is to use the WiFi.
  20.    #40  
    Are you sure? I'm not saying that you can do both, but that you can choose to answer a call, thereby disconnecting data.

Marc
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast