Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    What is the easiest way to zero-out my Treo 650?

I know the way found at http://mytreo.net/treofaq/Treo650Resetting

but was wondering if there was an easier way.
    It's actually supposed to be difficult, but for the life of me I couldn't get my Treo to do a zero-our reset. I tried for an hour. All I could get was regular hard resets with an occasional bootloader screen. *sigh*
    I found for me the way for me to do this is.

First get some clay or slly putty, make a ball stick it to table or desk. Insert stylus tip up.

Second plugin hotsync cable to treo.

with right hand hold power and up keys, left hold hotsync button. While holding all these lower treo on reset button. Just keep at it until it powes off. then let it all go. Mine takes about 45 seconds then it is back.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Quote Originally Posted by treonu-b
    What is the easiest way to zero-out my Treo 650?

I know the way found at http://mytreo.net/treofaq/Treo650Resetting

but was wondering if there was an easier way.
    Why? You don't need to Zero Out unless you have some reason to write 0's to the entire ram.. If you want to simply hard reset your palm, hold the Power button while pressing the reset button. Hold it until the Palm screen is there for a few seconds, let go, then press Up to say Yes to erasing all data.

There's not many needs to zero-out reset.
  5. Liv
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    I did a zero out just now with my little sister, and it worked like a charm. She was the one who held the hotsync button and pushed the reset button in for me.

So far so good.

I did this because the person who I bought the treo from left ALL their information in it
  6.    #6  
    i figured out a pretty easy way.........for me at least...........

(sit down to do this obviously) what u do is take out the battery so there is no power supply......put the battery on something and align it with the back of the phone so the battery would be able to fall in place (i just used my stomach.....haha but it worked)

then hold down all the buttons u need to (use one hand for hotsync and one for the other two buttons)

then just let the battery fall back into place.......

done.....easy as pie......well kinda...........
    Pardon me asking this question so late in the day.

But what is it that Zero-out does (to a end user) that a warm reset doesn't.

I gather that it writes zeros and all that, but what's the point? The firmware
    and other software are still there, right?

- mvk
    Game over!
    When you delete something in your Treo, or your computer for that matter, it is not actually deleted. The record in the file allocation table (FAT) is changed so that it appears to not be there. Once other information overwrites that area of memory then the information is lost but until that happens it is possible to recover the deleted information. The purpose of the the zero out reset is to actually fill the entire RAM with zeros so that there is no information at all left there. You may want to do this if you are selling or giving away your Treo and there is important or private data that you don't want anyone else to have. Some people also like to be very thorough when installing a new ROM or even just reinstalling all their third parrty apps. They want a completely clean memory to begin the process.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Interesting,

My Treo just went into a Reset Loop for no reason and a Hard Reset won't work, It keeps reseting. Is this my next step before going to the store...

Any ideas!
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by BenJoeM
    Interesting,

My Treo just went into a Reset Loop for no reason and a Hard Reset won't work, It keeps reseting. Is this my next step before going to the store...

Any ideas!
    no clue but hey.......its worth a shot..........

or go here:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=107091
    Quote Originally Posted by BenJoeM
    Interesting,

Any ideas!
    Go here: http://grack.com/romtool and download the tool. You can also get more information here: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=107543.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jgm
    Go here: http://grack.com/romtool and download the tool. You can also get more information here: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=107543.

Thanks for the replies, but the problem that I am having is that the phone is in a constant reset loop, and a soft, warm and hard reset is not working. It just goes back to reseting. For example, I hard reset, it says Push up to erase all data, and I push up and then it resets and goes back into a reset loop. I have tried leaving the battery out for about 4 hours and I am still in a reset loop. So these tools would only be if I could get the phone working. right..?
    try the bootloader benjoem.

this zero out is a cool new thing to do for the fun of it!
    Treo 650
    Sony UX-50
    Tungsten T5 (other half's)
    I wish however palm would kinda tell us the truth; in fact, when some of you've done a zero reset, how long has your treo "dead" for. Mine at most 20 seconds.
    BenJoeM -
    If you can get to the bootloader (reset while hotsync cable is plugged in & hotsync button held down) "rainbow" screen. Then there is a good chance the RomTool may be able to help. It only needs the bootloader to be able to work. From there you can try to reupload the correct ROM. If you can get it to that point then the next step is to get a good image to upload. What type Treo 650 is it?
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesgangut
    BenJoeM -
    If you can get to the bootloader (reset while hotsync cable is plugged in & hotsync button held down) "rainbow" screen. Then there is a good chance the RomTool may be able to help. It only needs the bootloader to be able to work. From there you can try to reupload the correct ROM. If you can get it to that point then the next step is to get a good image to upload. What type Treo 650 is it?

I have a Treo 650 Sprint CDMA.

This sucks, I am out of town on business and didn't bring a sync cable. I am going to go to a sprint store tomorrow and get one and try this, unless I can find one at the mall or walmart. But any more info you can give me will be great.

Thanks
    If you can get a sync cable. Then next get the RomTool (you will also need .net runtime) loaded on your system. get treo in bootloader mode and see if you can see phone info. if so we can get a fresh Sprint ROM and upload it to the phone.

Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesgangut
    If you can get a sync cable. Then next get the RomTool (you will also need .net runtime) loaded on your system. get treo in bootloader mode and see if you can see phone info. if so we can get a fresh Sprint ROM and upload it to the phone.
    I will try it,

This is so weird, it just started reseting yesterday and is stuck in this loop, As soon as I can get one I will try it. RIght now I can get it to the second logo screen but then it resets every time as soon as it hits that screen, even with a hard reset.

I called Sprint and they want me to take the phone in to be looked at.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Ok Help!

I am to the rainbow bootloader screen, and I have run RomTool but I am getting an error becuase I do have a password on my phone. But I can't get in to take it off because my phone is stuck in a reset.

Any Ideas,

I am also still trying to Zero-Out but I cant get it to work.
    Have you done a hard reset? After hard reset there should be no password to worry about.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast