Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi all.

This is a very late post (since my wedding was actually September 28, 2005) however, I just wanted to post up a quick note to let everyone know that I successfully used my Treo 650 as my wedding reception DJ!

My wife and I had very little money to spend on our wedding, so one way we saved was by not hiring a professional DJ. Instead, we opted to jump on our home PC and put together a folder of all the MP3s we would want to hear at our reception. We then transfered all 200+ songs over to an SD card, then created 3 RealPlayer playlists: Dinner background music; Party PARTY! Dance music; and Slow dance romance music (with the first song in the slow dance playlist set up as "the first dance" for us).

It worked out VERY well! The PA system in the reception hall was about 10 feet away from the head table my wife and I sat at. I had a long cable (RCA to 3.5mm) that I used to plug into the PA, then I used a Radio Shack 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter to plug into the headset jack on my T650. It worked perfectly! I just had to make sure to keep the dinner and dance playlists on shuffle, then turn off shuffle when my brother in-law made a speach and introduced us for the first dance.... using of course our "Slow dance romance music" playlist!

I also made sure I turned OFF the phone to avoid having a loud ring come over the PA speakers if I received a call!! heh!

My wife and her friends just laughed at me a lot whenever the topic of using my PDA as a DJ came up... they kept commenting on how much of a geek I am. But hey, we saved a bundle of money we would have had to pay a pro DJ, plus we didn't have to do the damn chicken dance, hokey pokey or electric slide!!! heh!

By the way.... I added a pic I took of my wife and I shortly after our wedding ceremony. I took the picture myself with my T650! It turned out great.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "they kept commenting on how much of a geek you are"
    Treoing & Loving it
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by gt5l
    heh! yeah... but they did it lovingly.
    Congratulations and may all your ups and downs be kept inside the sheets.
    That's great,,,your a role model to PDA junkies everywhere!

I'd have to say I prefer my PDA to a dj any day.

I 100% in love with internet radio on my PPC. It was good on the Treo too
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyD
    heh! yeah... but they did it lovingly.
    I am doing it out of love too
    Treoing & Loving it
  7.    #7  
    I am doing it out of love too
    as the kids like to say.... "It's all good"
    sometimes you just need to spend some money. If you can afford a 650 I sure hope you could afford something better than that for your wedding.
    Factory unlocked/unbranded GSM 650 - Tmobile; FW: 1.71; SW: 1.20-ENA; Carrier DB: 255; HW: A

If I'm repeating what someone has already said look at how long the thread is and ask yourself if you really expect me to read the whole thing.
    that is a great idea really. I would just be afraid of all the random resets. My phone resets on random a few times a day. But I suppose if I turn off the phone (chattermail & verichat seem to be the culprit mostly), then that would be safer. The Treo has many uses!
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by rbenjami
    sometimes you just need to spend some money. If you can afford a 650 I sure hope you could afford something better than that for your wedding.
    AGREED! However, truth be told... 3 major factors were involved with our decision to do this....

1) We honestly couldn't afford to hire a DJ.

2) I used to actually be a resident DJ at (the now defunct) Club Reality on Randolph St in Chicago for 2 years. I also used to be part of a rave crew who threw many (legal and illegal) partys about 10 years ago in Chicago. Both my wife and I KNOW that I would have been EXTREMELY distracted and critical of ANY hired DJ (other than myself) even if it were at our own wedding!!!! heh!!! (I probably would have been hovering at the DJ booth the whole time versus enjoying my own wedding.... At my sisters wedding reception... I hovered and criticized! heh!)

3) We honestly couldn't afford to hire a DJ.
    Congrats, JimmyD!

That's awesome. It would be so symbolic for me to use my Treo at my wedding (were I to have one, someday), I'm practically married to it!
    My Freebie Java Widgets (Compatible with 650, 680, 700p & 755p)
    HourlyXCast - Hourly & 7 Day Forecasts! Weather Graphics, Radar Images & Alerts. "When 'PM Showers' just doesn't cut it"
    - RottenTomatoMeter - Movie Ratings, Reviews, Showtimes for New Movies & DVDs
    - TV2Nite - Calendar Events for your Favorite TV Shows!
    I just want to know one thing: How did you end up with such a hot woman?????

NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    you got a good woman (especially when its time to upgrade)
    My wife wooda shot me for even suggesting such a thing. And shes a treo user too
  14. Liv
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    That is so awesome that you guys were able to use your treo. I do know I am using my ipod when I get married for my dj, it is just SO much cheaper, and I already know how to set it all up. Very excited about that. Just missing a groom. Wait...I think that part is important....

I never thought about using the treo though, I think I would use it if I didn't already have an ipod.
    It's funny how many people thought that, but you get to the end and thought, "I probably would do that too!" http://discussion.treocentral.com/im...ilies/wink.gif
    Quote Originally Posted by pump142
    you got a good woman (especially when its time to upgrade)
    My wife wooda shot me for even suggesting such a thing. And shes a treo user too
    We're only Treo users to women when they want something installed or something upgraded on it
    Congratulatons JimmyD and your lovely Bride!

Twenty years from now, your kids will see this setup and they will be very impressed (or entertained?)!

You should send this to Palm for their Treo Newsletter story.
    Ed
    Visor Deluxe, Prism, Visorphone, Treo 270, Treo 600, Treo 650, and am eagerly waiting for the next generation Treo...but wait...is that the iPhone????
    Quote Originally Posted by Liv
    That is so awesome that you guys were able to use your treo. I do know I am using my ipod when I get married for my dj, it is just SO much cheaper, and I already know how to set it all up. Very excited about that. Just missing a groom. Wait...I think that part is important....

I never thought about using the treo though, I think I would use it if I didn't already have an ipod.
    Just PM your phone number to me, and we'll fix that husband thing!!!!

Actually I'm kidding, cause I'm happily married, but I know you don't have any trouble finding men!
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Congrats JimmyD,

DJ's... Grrrrrrrr. Our DJ did not have ONE of our requested songs at our wedding reception but unshamefully requested payment as if he had did a flawless job.

Everytime I hear "Unchained Melody" I get a flashback and remember how pissed I was. -LOL

You guys rock!
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
  20. Liv
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller
    Just PM your phone number to me, and we'll fix that husband thing!!!!

Actually I'm kidding, cause I'm happily married, but I know you don't have any trouble finding men!

Ha ha! Talk about a great pickup line

And that is wonderful that you are married And yes, I do have troubles. I am one of those "one of the guys" girls.

But it is okay, God has one for me...just have to hunt him down like a lion on a gazelle. Okay, maybe not HUNT him down.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast