1.    #1  
    I just ordered a Cingular branded/locked 650 off ebay.

I know of unlockcellular.com but is there any better/cheaper sites that will provide the (oddly complicated from what I've read) unlocking process/codes for me?

I'm going to be using this with Tmobile.

Thanks for the help.
    i hope you ordered one which is not hardlocked...i dont mean to scare you but sometimes they put in too many incorrect unlock codes..and the phone becomes hardlocked..meaning it could NEVER be unlocked..happened to me..ended up sellin it back on ebay and buying another one..

i tried to unlock it by using the unlocked services they have on ebay..costed about 20 bucks..it was easy to do and everything..too bad my phone had already been hardlocked

good luck..hope it helps
    Running an Unlocked Cingular Palm Treo 650 with an AT&T Sim
    *1GB SanDisk SD Card

Just tell them you need to travel for work, and that your company is giving you a prepaid SIM card. But you will be back shortly, and back on Cingular. It took me about 5 minutes. And FREE
    I suggest Cingular. I asked and about 24 hours later tehys ent e-mail message telling me to:

Unlock Instructions:

1. Turn Device On
    2. Turn Phone On
    3. Hit Green Phone Button
    4. Type the following code on keypad

* # * # A B C D E F G H # with A-> H representing digits for your IMEI number
    (each IMEI number will generate a specific code so the code (A->H) you get from Cingular must be the one generated from your specific IMEI number (see phone info screen)

5. Hit Dial
    6. You should get message saying that Phone / SIM is now unlocked.

If you do it and fail 5 times, phone is permanently locked.

IIRC, you account must be in good standing for 3 months before they will do this.

In actuality, I never received message so I caleld back and she looked and saw message was sent day after request so we just did it over phone. No fee involved.
    Last edited by JackNaylorPE; 03/03/2006 at 10:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    4. Type the following code on keypad

* # * # A B C D E F G H # with A-> H representing digits for your IMEI number
    Blacknoi,

DON'T DO THIS...

- mvk
    Quote Originally Posted by blacknoi
    I just ordered a Cingular branded/locked 650 off ebay.

I know of unlockcellular.com but is there any better/cheaper sites that will provide the (oddly complicated from what I've read) unlocking process/codes for me?

I'm going to be using this with Tmobile.

Thanks for the help.
    If you use the promo code treocentral you get $5 off of the price. There is no place cheaper or easier to unlock your phone. I unlocked mine there and it was quite easy. The instructions you get when you buy the unlock service are a little clearer. If you follow them step for step hyou will be unlocked in 5 minutes.

I have unlocked a couple of my 650"s using the site. Is there a specific part of the instructions that are confusing? Maybe I can help.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex
    Blacknoi,

DON'T DO THIS...

- mvk
    Why shoud he use a costly somewhat suspect legally service instead of doing it legitimately thru Cingular ? I did it 20 minutes ago. It would actually be easier to have the seller do this before he terminates service, in fact, since he plans to go on T-Mobile, I would have insisted upon it pre-sale.

I'm not sure how Cingular would respond if someone called and said that they bought a used phone before leaving the states for military duty and didn't realize phoen wa slocked and that they needed to have phone unlocked so i can be used in germany or whatever. As long as it not lost or stolen, I think they would comply. Seems worth a try before spending $20.

I would think tho that the phone would have to be actively on the Cingular network to do this at the time so maybe a borrowed SIM card woud work.

I'd only resort to one of these unlock companies if I had exhausted all other options....kinda like buying car parts that "fell off a truck".
    Last edited by JackNaylorPE; 03/03/2006 at 10:15 PM.
    If you are Cingular orange and the phone you bought is on the orange network then Cingular will unlock it for you usually after 90 days of service. If it is aCingular Blue phone they will "NOT" unlock it.
    Yes that's true....I wonder tho if anyone has ever gotten an explanation for their reasonong there. Now do the phones differ physically tho ? Or is it just a matter of changing the SIM and the ROM ?
    Why shoud he use a costly somewhat suspect legally service instead of doing it legitimately thru Cingular ? I did it 20 minutes ago.
    Jack & Blacknoi,

I suppose one should contact Cingular and get the code. But my caution
    was not for that, It was for only trying out different combinations of IMEI
    numbers on the phone. The warning that the phone may be permanently
    locked by entering invalid unlock codes may be true, we don't have definite
    proof of that.
    As we all know SIMs are designed to become unusable
    when invalid SIM PUK1 and PUK2 codes are entered several times.

Jack may have got a match between his IMEI and Subsidy Unlock Code
    (SUC), but this may not always be the case. The SUC is only based on
    the IMEI and may not be a match (first eight digits, last eight digits, first
    four and last four etc...)

- mvk
    Game over!
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex
    The warning that the phone may be permanently
    locked by entering invalid unlock codes may be true, we don't have definite
    proof of that.
    Heres how the Tech and CSR at Cingular explained the process to me. Like software reistration codes, and MS Authentication, they take a hardware specific hash code (in this case your IMEI number) and plug into an algorythim that generates a secure registration or unlock code. Every generated code is unique to that device. So if my IMEI code is 123456789876543 than this code will generate a specific 8 digit unlock code unique to the subject device. My unlock code will not work on any other device because each device has a specific IMEI number upon which the code is based.

Now, the CSR repeated to me three times to be VERY CAREFUL when entering the code because if I made any errors inputting the code EXACTLY as given, the phone would be placed into a state where entering the correct code would no longer have any effect and **I** could not unlock he phone.....I took that to mean they still could.

Jack may have got a match between his IMEI and Subsidy Unlock Code (SUC), but this may not always be the case. The SUC is only based on
    the IMEI and may not be a match (first eight digits, last eight digits, first
    four and last four etc...)
    This wasn't a stroke of luck. I am not saying to pick some random digits A thru H from those in your IMEI. I am saying there is a specific and unique 8 digit unlock code for any given unique 15 digit INEI code

I contacted Cingular, they called me back saying they need my IMEI number to generate an unlock code specifc for my device. I gave them my 15 digit IMEI code, they ran the algorithym and produced the single, unique 8 digit unlock code that will work with my phone. They e-mailed me the code and when the e-maiil was apparently sent to the wrong address (they used a dash instead of an underscore in my e-mail address), they gave me the code over the phone.

It is an absolute certainty that if you:

1 Call cingular, give them your IMEI number from Phone Info screen
    2. They run their algorithym
    3. They give you a code via e-mail or phone based upon your specific IMEI
    4. Enter the # * # * [your device specific 8 digit code] # and then hit Dial
    5. You made no mistakes in entering the code
    6. Your phone is unlocked.
    Last edited by JackNaylorPE; 03/04/2006 at 12:54 AM.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Call Cingular, I have received 5 unlock codes so far....

Seems like they have their act together, because if you do not get the amil and have to call back, they will give you the code over the phone.
    Yes that's true....I wonder tho if anyone has ever gotten an explanation for their reasonong there. Now do the phones differ physically tho ? Or is it just a matter of changing the SIM and the ROM ?
    The phones are physicallu identical. the software on a Blue phone is CNB and an Orange is CNG. Other then that no difference. I actually flashed my Blue phone with the CNG ROM update. ( the one before 1.17 ) and had not problem but it was still locked. The IMEI shows up as a Blue phone and that being the case they will not unlock it because they say AT&T had a policy to not unlock. If they wanted to they could put the IMEI code into their systemm and generate a code but they will not. I spent days talking to many Cingular reps and none of them would do it even though I was a customer of over a year and my account showed numerous international travel. If you have a Blue phone go to unlockcellular.com
    If they pulled that crap, then I too would be going the "shady" route and I'd tell them too.
  15.    #15  
    Thanks for the replies guys.

I should have said I'm a Tmobile customer and do not have any accounts on Cingular.

The phone is a used phone (according to the auction) on Cingular Orange. The guy didn't give a reason as to why he was selling it...but looking at his recent feedback for other auctions, he bought a sonyericsson s710a so that seems to be the reason for him parting with his treo..

I'm taking it that if I called Cingular Customer care that they would blow me off..... correct?

Or if I try as Jules3 and pabo suggested, and call *611 from the phone (or landline, would I need a cingular sim card for calling from the phone to work? ...I have one, not activated, but I have one) and start to ask w/o any account info... would that work?

Its not that I'm daunted by the process, its just more complicated than most phones I've unlocked.
    Last edited by blacknoi; 03/04/2006 at 09:25 AM.
    Re: the question of the physical diffs between Cingular Orange and Cingular Blue phones, and why Cingular won't unlock Blue phones but will Orange, it's not a matter of CAN'T. I bought my cingular blue phone unlocked for use with TMobile. Dealer set it up free.
    Quote Originally Posted by blacknoi
    TI'm taking it that if I called Cingular Customer care that they would blow me off..... correct?
    Well if the seller terminated the servcie, and removed the SIM, the phone won't have any service.

1. At this point 20/20 hindsight but it woulda been better to make this part of the sale deal....have seller do it.

2. If you still can contact the seller, perhaps have him call 1-866-cingular and say that he gave his phone to his cousin who is going overseas for military duty and he needs to unlock it. And then ask for insructions on hoiw to do so. Maybe he even did this already.

3. Walk into an "all carriers store" and say I wanna sign up for T-mobile and you can get the credit if you help me unlcok it. Maybe they know something we don't.

4. I wonder perhaps if just throwing in a borrowed CNG based SIM and doing it on any account in good standing for 3 months will work. Again phone must be "on the network" when you perform the procedure.....well at least that's what Cingular told me.

5. Go the internet service route.

6. My guess is that there's more than one way of doing this.....what would Cingular do if a legit customer's phone was hardlocked ? It would seem that if inetrnet servcies work they'd have to be able to do without being on a CNG network.

I think personallyu, I would puruse 1 and 2....maybe 3 & 4 if it was convenient. If it take smuch moire effort than taht, the $20 doesn't seem like a bad deal, assuming of course it works. From what I have read her eon the boards, most peeps have been successful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Almstead
    Re: the question of the physical diffs between Cingular Orange and Cingular Blue phones, and why Cingular won't unlock Blue phones but will Orange, it's not a matter of CAN'T. I bought my cingular blue phone unlocked for use with TMobile. Dealer set it up free.
    I have sold an unlocked Cingular Blue Phone but "I" unlocked it using the web site. I am sure the guy who sold it to you used a service like unlockcellular. There is no way Cingular is going to unlock that phone for you to use on another service. Save your time and just spend the $20 to unlock it yourself and use your T-Mobile SIM card. You can be using your Treo on T-Mobile in 5 to 10 minutes.