Page 1 of 12 12345611 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Updated Post: 09/11/06

I guess I should have named this Thread - "Custom Rom - The Only Way." Not because it's the Only Way, but because one should Only Do It With the RomTool:
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=107543
    Not Shadowmites T650Tool

Note:
    I have recently noticed that some still try to incorporate ‘old methods’ with the new RomTool. (‘Old Methods’ involving T3, rev cvt2, or SD install method are not used with the RomTool)
    It is a simple process of using the RomTool for downloading your current Rom files to a folder you create, making your changes as easy as deleting or adding things to a folder like your ‘My Documents’ folder, and then uploading the files back onto your Treo. (Read James' Instructions)

Grabbed this from Poor Tony’s Thread
    Quote Originally Posted by mmastrac
    ...clip...
    Unfortunately for Palm's updater method, any glitch during partition reformat, IPL or SPL writes will brick the phone beyond any repair means. You might get lucky if it glitches during the TPL or HTC bootloader updates (maybe brick, maybe not). Thankfully there's no way to permanently destory a phone with a glitch in the ROM update phase (again that's why I hate Palm's update method ).

....clip...

Here's my suggested tips for everyone to keep the permabrick potential low:

- Use Palm's updater sparingly - ie: only if there are problems with the other update methods.

- You can run the phone firmware updates without running Palm's updater (on both GSM and CDMA phones). They are not tied to PalmOS ROM versions, so find the ones you like and stick with them. They don't seem to be too bad for failing during updates (but I have seen 2 or 3 phones with dead radios from this).

- If you use the SD card method, make sure you always use the same ace-ipl-cvt2, ace-spl, ace-tpl, ace-htc-tpl, etc.. Basically all the other SD update files besides ace-palmos.zip. (IPL, SPL, TPL, HTC TPL) and RomUpdaterApp files *every time*. Your chances of permabricking your phone will be much lower if these items do not need to be updated.

- Make sure your phone is plugged in and has a full battery. Just common sense here .

...clip...
    This Thread is in its infant stage.

I posted it because I wanted to start by simplifying the Search issues many have
    finding info, or FAQ’s, on Creating a Custom Rom.
    There are a lot of threads out there on this topic, and many people could easily get going the wrong direction. Understanding and Methods have changed. And so I hope we can keep the Clarifications and New Methods Located right here.
    If nothing else, I will try and provide the Links to the Methods, Answers and Solutions.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesgangut
    While we are all trying to make CustomRoms more safe, and reduce some confusion. We need to remember this is not for everyone. I have dealt with many people who have started this process and are not ready for it. Yes we could list detailed do this do that, without knowing what they are doing. With all the tools avaliable today it is possible to recover most phones if the process is done badly, but not all. I don't mean to sound rude by saying this but if you don't know what you are doing you shouldn't do it. Yes the posts are long, but you really need to figure out what it is you want out of a custom rom, why you need it and then what it takes. ...clip...
    Okay, mmastrac’s New RomTool (Not Shadowmites T650 Tool) but mmastrac’s New RomTool has really aroused the interest of many.
    It seems that more and more are looking into doing a Custom Rom.

And many still need assistance, and have many questions.
    Let’s use this thread to try and keep it in one friendly, easy location.
    And I gave this thread a Title that will hopefully be easy to find and remember.

One thing for all to keep in mind is this new RomTool has changed in a Big Way, the process of making a Custom Rom. Not so much the taking out and putting back in, but the way it is done. (Totally Simplified)

Maybe we’re familiar w/ Shadowmite, Tem, and others who have gave us insight into making Custom Roms. Although what we learned from them and others is still of great value, some of the methods are no longer needed. So all who are thinking of making a Custom Rom, mmastrac’s New RomTool is by far the easiest way to go.

First off,
    1. I will keep all the Links right here at Post #1
    2. All updates, and clarifications, will be here at Post #1

I would also like to mention that if you are already using a Cingular or Sprint Rom, and you’re happy, then you’re already a jump ahead of the game.
    Why? Because, you already have the smallest Rom Partition available. But let’s not get sidetracked. We will talk about that later.

I would suggest that you read the referenced Link below, and don’t worry about all the talk about: Fat32 vs. FatFs, Rom Partition size, FastMode Blazer or any thing else. Don’t even concern yourself w/ what, if anything to put in your Custom Rom. For now let’s assume we are all enrolled in ‘Custom Roms 101. And these other options will be discussed next term.

Here is your first Link: (New RomTool)
    Go there, Read Post #1, and all referenced links
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=107543

In fact, you might want to read at least thru Post #5

Then come back and ask your questions.
    If your question or problem is specifically regarding the New RomTool then by all means ask it over there. In fact, all questions particular to the Thread of discussion, ask there.

Now at this point, if you have read the referenced link, and you think you are ready, then maybe it would be good for you to start with something simple.
    Like removing the Fatfs file and replace it with the Fat32 file.
    (Fat32, among other things, allows the use of SD cards larger than 2GB)
    Using the RomTool, following James’ instructions, do just that.
    Download your current Rom on your Treo to your Computer.
    Make a Copy, or Backup of Your Original, Unchanged Rom.
    In the folder that you named in accord with james’ instructions, that contains the Rom files that you plan on Uploading back on to your Treo, do two simple things:
    Delete the Fatfs file and replace it with the Fat32 file.
    That’s it. Now Upload according to James’ instructions.
    That Simple!

ADDED - 09/11/06:
    Here's my Simple Step-by-Step:
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showp...&postcount=127

ADDED - 09/05/06:
    Here's another Simple Step-by-Step provided by BGH:
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showp...&postcount=810

Just different ways of doing the same thing.

Link to James' Thread Titled:
    Custom Rom - Tips & Tricks
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=110386

If you just want a pre-built Custom that you can leave as is or to modify, then here are some good links:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...&postcount=567

(Install w/ SD method)
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showp...&postcount=564

And some more customs w/ FastMode Blazer:
    (Install w/ SD method)
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showp...72&postcount=2
    (There are some issues w/ downloading)

But again, if you’re w/ Cing or Sprint, You may just want to use the RomTool to Customize the Rom you are using at present.

Below is some links to frequent questions or Topics.
    I will Title them later:
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=107091
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=107666

ADDED - 06/29/06:
    I have directed many to the Rom that James provides in his Thread entitled "Custom ROM Tips and Tricks" that I have included below:
    Due to a few that have had trouble, I am posting a link to the exact SD updater I use to convert our inhouse Cingular branded Treo's into ENA versions with the 7.1MB ROM partition. This will update all tokens and firmware. From here you can modify using the ROM Tool to your hearts content.

Link:
    http://rapidshare.de/files/20125886/CNG_to_ENA.zip.html

This is for "unbranding" not "unlocking". Unbranding allows you to use the generic version of a Treo ROM. For instance you have a Cingular Treo and you want to run the latest 1.20 ENA version. ...clip...
    I highly Recommend the above Rom to all Treo 650 GSM users.
    I'm not sure if it includes Fat32, but that's an easy swap once you get the above Rom up and running.

Here is the requested Link to Shadowmites Filelist:
    http://www.shadowmite.com/filelist.pdf
    It lists the files and what they do. It is specifically for Sprint, but it still is very useful for GSM Users
    To quote Scottymomo “They're not all common (files on Sprint Common to Gsm) but many are. There are some that will have SPCS in the filename where the equivalent files will have CNG. (for cingular roms) When I did my CNB custom ROM I used the file list as a starting point to figure out which files were safe to delete... sticking with the ones in the list highlighted in Green and adding more language files if necessary that were not on the Sprint list.”

For Example:
    Sprint - TutorialApp_Device_SPCS_enUS.lprc
    Cingular - TutorialApp_Device_CNGW_enUS.lprc
    Row or ENA - TutorialApp_Device_CROW_enUS.lprc

Also an extraction from another Post, Thanks cesium1024
    In a Cingular ROM, the files that can be removed, to remove "Quick Tour" "Xpress Mail" "GetGood" and "Welcome" from your Treo:
    GetGood.PRC - "GetGood"
    GetMail.PRC - "Xpress Mail"
    TutorialApp_Device.PRC, TutorialApp_Device_CNGW.cprc, TutorialApp_Device_CNGW_enUS.lprc, TutorialRsc_Tips.prc, TutorialRsc_Tips_CNGW.cprc, TutorialRsc_Tips_CNGW_enus.lprc - "Quick Tour"

I think a better approach maybe just putting lists together that are more finite than the master what can be removed. IE to remove VersaMail remove these files etc. And for any newby I think you need to start with the new RomTool. It is the easiest & safest way. With that tool and lists (having this be the repository) it should mesh very well.
    And also, another thing to remember, is that all time and energy spent by A.K.A. James, Cranium, matt, tem, shadowmite, all who share suggestions and advice, including myself, do everything for no personal benefit or gain. I believe everyone here are volunteers.
    Even though I have found myself frustrated wanting answers. It’s important to remember:
    No One Owes Us Anything.

So like I said; this thread is in the infant stage. It will grow and improve w/ time, and may even die, do to revised understanding.

*If you know of a Post or Thread that you think would help, please post.

Thanks,
    And Hope this Helps.

Link to Cingular 1.17 & ENA 1.20 Master File List.xls:
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showp...5&postcount=40
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 09/11/2006 at 12:55 PM.
    Just call me Berd.
    New Rom Tool and Shadowmite's T650 tool: what's the difference?
    Different methods or better safe?

Thanks berdinkerdickle.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by operators
    New Rom Tool and Shadowmite's T650 tool: what's the difference?
    Different methods or better safe?

Thanks berdinkerdickle.
    Read the Link to new Romtool and links within.

Safer and Easier,
    That's the major difference.
    Just call me Berd.
    I think it would be helpful to separate out the two things; 1) Uploading and
    downloading ROMs (including restoration in case something goes wrong) and
    2) The customization itself.

It may be obvious to someone who is been with the forum threads from the
    begining, but a newbie searching for and looking for guidance is bound to be
    completely baffled. (I'm referring to the merely interested, not the intelligent
    who are gifted enough to grasp the concepts quickly.)

To me (new to all this stuff) all this is terribly confusing that both operations
    (1 and 2 above) are spoken of in the same breath.

The unfortunate naming of the various tools are not helping either.

- mvk
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for the feedback.
    I will try and incorporate your ideas this eve. when I get back behind my desktop.
    Just call me Berd.
    In agree, jumping all around to find the latest and greatest info, with all the sidetracks has become quite a chore. Personally, I am waiting for the suppossed big ROM release that was supposed to come out in February. So as to avoid the trouble of doing it now and doing again in 2 weeks, I gonna hold out a little longer.

I was hoping that by the time I come back, there would be a "one stop shopping" , step by step such as:

1. Install latest ROM by normal means.
    2. Install ROM tool including this that and the other thing that it needs.
    3. Pick Master ROM file from Below:
    ----A. CNG 1.25 / 1.75 - Using this file as is will leave you right back where you were with step 1. To remove various items, open this, go here and remove these files:

Get Good - Dump:
    -abcdefg.xyz
    -etcetc.xyz

Welcome - Dump

Well you get the idea.

While all involved have done an enormous job it is disconcerting going back and forth to old threads as some of the info therein contradicts new stuff and / or is outdated.

Perhaps a PDF file or series of files which could be placed in the thread itself which can be updated as needed.
  7.    #7  
    Thanks, that is the goal, to make it one easy location.
    New threads will always start.
    The Links though tiresome still get people going the right direction. But hey this thread was just started. Up to this point. we have had nothing but scattered threads. This is to try and give ones a kind of homebase. rather than starting a search on Custom and ending up at a thread that no longer applies. People still ask me questions like 'do I need to create 2 folders on my SD then rev cvt2.
    I diffinetly will try to hone this post w/ time.
    Just call me Berd.
    I Searched- Can I ask this??

On my Verizon 650 I get as far as launching the Rom tool, but wait forever for the Grack image on the Treo screen and it never comes. Rom Program says it should take 3 seconds, but it never happens. I can get out of it without bricking the phone, but can't get any farther.

Only thing that changes on the rainbow bootloader screen on the Treo is the term USB pops up, no Grack image.
    All I want to do at this point is Download my Phone rom to a folder, for perhaps later customizing it. I am interested in deleting the tutorial, & all non-English languages.
    Maybe later I'll be brave enough to try Fat 32 and FastMode Blazer. It's moot if I can't get my current Rom into the PC.

Just a thought, can I do this with the Seidio InnoDock- Or do I need an actual Palm cable? Maybe Seidio doesn't pass thru all the needed connections??

Thanks muchly for all your hard work!
    duane
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    I have used innodock since first release it is fine.
    Do you have a password set on the treo? I am guessing so. Try removing it and trying again.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

You should really link to the master file list that Shadowmite has on his site. It lists the files and what they do.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man
    You should really link to the master file list that Shadowmite has on his site. It lists the files and what they do.
    That's an easy fix. Thanks
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    Does anybody out there charge to do all this stuff?
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex
    I think it would be helpful to separate out the two things; 1) Uploading and
    downloading ROMs (including restoration in case something goes wrong) and
    2) The customization itself.

It may be obvious to someone who is been with the forum threads from the
    begining, but a newbie searching for and looking for guidance is bound to be
    completely baffled. (I'm referring to the merely interested, not the intelligent
    who are gifted enough to grasp the concepts quickly.)

To me (new to all this stuff) all this is terribly confusing that both operations
    (1 and 2 above) are spoken of in the same breath.

The unfortunate naming of the various tools are not helping either.

- mvk
    When you say "both operations
    (1 and 2 above) are spoken of in the same breath."
    are you refering to James's instructions? or something in my Post?
    Sorry, if I'm missing something obvious
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle
    When you say "both operations
    (1 and 2 above) are spoken of in the same breath."
    are you refering to James's instructions? or something in my Post?
    Sorry, if I'm missing something obvious
    No... I was just referring to the rather confusing string of posts
    on these forums. Like I mentioned, all this may be very obvious
    and clear to people who have had the benefit of slowly taking
    in the information since the begining.

As somebody once mentioned to me, it is like seeing a fully completed
    building instead of seeing it being built brick-by-brick. One tends
    to lose out on the nuances and fails to recognise what is important
    and what isn't.

With regards,

- mvk
    Last edited by GreenHex; 03/03/2006 at 01:47 AM.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex
    No... I was just referring to the rather confusing string of posts
    on these forums. Like I mentioned, all this may be very obvious
    and clear to people who have had the benefit of slowly taking
    in the information since the begining.

As somebody once mentioned to me, it is like seeing a fully completed
    building instead of seeing it being built brick-by-brick. One tends
    to lose out on the nuances and fail to recognise what is important
    and what isn't.

With regards,

- mvk
    Oh yea, I just saw your New Thread
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=108619
    Good questions. I will go back and look.
    Just call me Berd.
    Thanks James!

Password was the problem, deleted it and now I can download my ROM to the PC using the zip method, but the Rom tool has a problem using the directory method. I unzipped the zipped file, copied it to another folder, then deleted the languages I don't need, but the Rom tool hangs again when trying to upload the new rom. Something about it doesn't like up or downloading to or from the treo 650 (except for Downloading to a zip file). May try again in a few days. But the Innodock works fine since I deleted the Password. Thanks again- all!
    "Everybody Palm!"

While we are all trying to make CustomRoms more safe, and reduce some confusion. We need to remember this is not for everyone. I have dealt with many people who have started this process and are not ready for it. Yes we could list detailed do this do that, without knowing what they are doing. With all the tools avaliable today it is possible to recover most phones if the process is done badly, but not all. I don't mean to sound rude by saying this but if you don't know what you are doing you shouldn't do it. Yes the posts are long, but you really need to figure out what it is you want out of a custom rom, why you need it and then what it takes.

I think a better approach maybe just putting lists together that are more finite than the master what can be removed. IE to remove VersaMail remove these files etc. And for any newby I think you need to start with the new RomTool. It is the easiest & safest way. With that tool and lists (having this be the repository) it should mesh very well.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

I agree that this is new territory here. I have been following the threads on custom Roms for a while, and this tool was the first time i had the nerve to consider it. I understand the need to move slow. I certainly would feel more confident if I can get the tool to download (directory mode) the existing ROM from my phone without hanging. Then at least I'd have a restore point (other than the zipped version). But if it can't DL or UL- and something goes wrong- I may not be able to restore. Since my phone is not bricked at this point, I hesitate to go farther unless and until I can get the Rom Tool to Download the currently working ROm (to a directory). I do not want to committ treocide.
    "Everybody Palm!"

Quote Originally Posted by mgauss
    Sure, you can pay me. What exactly do you want?
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by mgauss
    No, But some like mmastrac & Shadowmite accept voluntary donations.
    But by no means are they recieving payment for services.
    Just call me Berd.
Page 1 of 12 12345611 ... LastLast