Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast
    Did you make sure to "refresh" the image after you removed realplayer from your custom rom folder?

If I recall, there is about 10 files that belong to realplayer. basically anything with "real" in its name.
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Ok. Now it's working. I have 530k free on my 7.1MB ROM by removing RealPlayer.

What else can you remove to free up space? I don't want to remove VersaMail, cause I use it as my email client. Is it possible to run it from my SD card?
    I've never owned a "regular" phone, and never will.

Handspring Visorphone, Handspring Treo 180, Handspring Treo 600, PalmOne Treo 650....
    Quote Originally Posted by Luna View Post
    Ok. Now it's working. I have 530k free on my 7.1MB ROM by removing RealPlayer.

What else can you remove to free up space? I don't want to remove VersaMail, cause I use it as my email client. Is it possible to run it from my SD card?
    As far as I have heard, removing apps fromthe ROM does not free up any usable space. You have to replace the program in the custom ROM to make use of the space. Is this correct?
    Quote Originally Posted by Musicman247 View Post
    As far as I have heard, removing apps fromthe ROM does not free up any usable space. You have to replace the program in the custom ROM to make use of the space. Is this correct?
    That's correct...you free RAM by putting apps that would normally be in RAM in the ROM. Your usable space doesn't change just by removing apps from ROM.

You can remove:
    RealPlayer
    Tips
    Welcome
    Good Mail
    Xpress Mail
    Language Files

This is a good thread for what can go into or be taken out of ROM, with the appropriate file names:

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=110386
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Well, I don't know if Real Player copies itself from ROM to RAM when you boot your Treo, but I checked my free RAM before and after modifying my ROM and I have 500k or so of more free RAM after I removed Real Player.

I have the 1.20-ENA ROM on a Cingular 650 Treo. I don't know why else I would have that extra free RAM on my Treo. I only removed the Tips, and Real Player.
    I've never owned a "regular" phone, and never will.

Handspring Visorphone, Handspring Treo 180, Handspring Treo 600, PalmOne Treo 650....
    Your DBcache empties at times that's the Ram space the fluxuates the most as you run apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Giangi View Post
    Try starting first RomTool...

make sure you installed the required .NET or you will see a .net error and possible memory allocation errors
    On the Verizon Treo 650's Newest Rom Build (1.05A) There is an Application called "Wireless Sync." I am not sure if it is free to use or if you have to pay a fee. I do know you have to sign up at Intellpoint, which I guess is the website that handles the syncing. Does anyone know what the name of the file(s) is for this application ?
    Also, I read somewhere that they removed BT ver 1.2 from the treo 650 and added BT ver 1.3. Can anyone tell me if this will work, and where I can get ver 1.3 of BT ?
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Okay, Here's my Step-by-Step.

First Read up on Using the RomTool. and how to get it to Communicate
    with your Treo. (Bootloader/Rainbow Screen, etc.)

1. Start the ROM tool program and let it talk with your treo.
    2. Once that is done, Create a Folder on your PC's Desktop called "MYROM".
    3. Go to the "Download Rom" tab and where it asks: "Select the format to download the phones current ROM image as:" choose "Directory"
    (this downloads all the files, unzipped.)
    4. choose "Browse"
    5. Browse to the "MYROM" folder you created, and click "OK".
    6. Click "Download" it should start dowloading your ROM into your "MYROM" folder.
    7. When it is done, copy your "MYROM" folder to your "My Documents" folder, and rename: "MYROM ORIG". (this is your Backup of your unaltered ROM)
    8. Go back to your "MYROM" folder you created on your Desktop, and delete the Fatfs file.
    9. Copy the Fat32 file I've attached below, into your "MYROM" folder.
    10. Go to the "Upload Rom" tab and where it asks "ROM Source" click "Select"
    11. Choose "ROM Directory"
    12. Click "Browse" browse to your "MYROM" folder and then click "Ok"
    13. Then Click "Select"

The RomTool should now be uploading your modified ROM.
    And you will see a progress bar. (see attached)

When the upload is complete, that progress bar will go away, and all you will see is something similar to the "upload complete" pic I attached below.
    Even though as the "upload complete" pic I attached below shows a progress bar just short of complete, you can now close the RomTool and Soft Reset your treo.

Done!

This is how I modify my ROM. I can add or delete things just as if I was working with any folder on my Desktop.
    I tried doing this, but it says my ROM is too big?

edit... forget it, i see the other post.
    Last edited by peter_x; 02/23/2007 at 12:47 PM.
    i just want to know, i have put some application to the rom like volumecare.. but i cant access it.. may i know the solution... thanks in advance..
    Anyone have any luck in being able to copy copy-protected apps, like Blazer, back to RAM after removing them from the ROM?
    Is it possible to lose your ability to hotsync by using the bootloader? I can still get the bootloader to recognize my phone, can modify and replace my ROM image, but I can no longer hotsync my phone to my PC.

I've reinstalled the sync software (and all startup Palm software), but still get a message saying the my computer has detected a new device and where would I like to install the driver from.

I'm sure this is an easy fix, I just can't figure it out...
    I've heard that polar bear steaks are tough, but maybe if you marinated them in beer they'd turn out all right.
    Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    I'm getting the same error. I did the FAT32 upgrade on my original 650, and now I have a refurbed 650 from an exchange. Now I go to the bootloader screen fine, but I get the 'failed to initialize' error when I start romtool. HELP! I need my 4gb card back!

Thanks,
    Darrell
    Quote Originally Posted by manilenio View Post
    I'm currently having a problem with the ROM tool. After I installed the bootloader files, and my 650 goes into the "rainbow" mode, when I try to run the rom tool, it gives me an error "The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000135). Click on OK to terminate the application." I downloaded the file again to make sure I don't have a corrupt file, even tried it on another computer, but I got the same error. Can anyone tell me what this error is about? I've made sure that I installed the bootloader files properly, after going into the rainbow mode and it asked for the driver, I pointed it to the inf file and everything goes well up to that point. It's the RomTool.exe that won't run! Can anyone help please?
    Quote Originally Posted by tayl428 View Post
    I'm getting the same error. I did the FAT32 upgrade on my original 650, and now I have a refurbed 650 from an exchange. Now I go to the bootloader screen fine, but I get the 'failed to initialize' error when I start romtool. HELP! I need my 4gb card back!

Thanks,
    Darrell
    Install the appropriate .net file after re-installing the rom tool. Make sure you exit hotsync before starting the rom tool.
    Last edited by afaebe; 04/05/2007 at 08:18 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by frankthetoad View Post
    Is it possible to lose your ability to hotsync by using the bootloader? I can still get the bootloader to recognize my phone, can modify and replace my ROM image, but I can no longer hotsync my phone to my PC.

I've reinstalled the sync software (and all startup Palm software), but still get a message saying the my computer has detected a new device and where would I like to install the driver from.

I'm sure this is an easy fix, I just can't figure it out...
    Yes. Go to Pref>Connection, (It would probably be empty after customizing the rom using rom tool) tap on "New", on the "Edit Connection" screen, name=type desktop or your any name, connect to=type PC, via=select cradle/cable, tap OK, then done. Hotsync again.
    Ok, I have been doing my reading and today I managed to get the RomTool installed and to my amazement I download the ROM once for the back like the documentation stated and then to a ROM folder to do the adding/stripping.

So far I'm OK.

Next to see what to delete, I am printing out the shadowmite.pdf, which I vaguely remember using with his tool.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Yes one question before I actually do this. Was I supposed to delete all my applications that I had installed before downloading the rom. From what I can see in the Rom folder, I only see the files that are in the Rom nothing I had installed.

So when I do an upload should I delete my applications first. I mean should I do a phone wipe first?

Thanks
    Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

No. Thats the cool thing about using the RomTool You don't have to wipe. Meaning that all installed apps are untouched. The rom slips in behind them nice and tidy
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg View Post
    No. Thats the cool thing about using the RomTool You don't have to wipe. Meaning that all installed apps are untouched. The rom slips in behind them nice and tidy
    Ok, thanks that's all I needed to know.

I just finished wiping the junk (I following the list) and then put about 5 small things in there one being the FAT32. The ones I put in I had used before in my old custom rom stuff when doing it the Shadow Mite way, which I stopped.

So here we go.

Thanks again

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast