Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast
    Ok everything is going fine, I've built the custom ROM I want. (Basicly removed all listed items from http://www.shadowmite.com/filelist.pdf and added LauncherX as my default (yes I used just the .PRC file). I've gone to the "upload ROM" tab and selected my folder. Starts to compress, then says "ROM to big"??? Then I try to upload my oringinal ROM and it says the samething??

Under Current ROM size:
    Largest ROM Size -229,803,823,176
    Current ROM Size 6,962,061
    Wasted Space n/a

I'm sure I'm missing a simple step, I've read Step by Step ROMtool PDF file over and over and just don't see the step I'm missing.

Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by leardvr; 08/01/2006 at 08:39 AM. Reason: added title
    Nik<hr>M100 --->M125 --->M500 --->Treo300 --->Sprint-Treo600 --->Sprint-Treo650
    <hr>
    Rom 8:31 <'><
    <marquee bgcolor=red width=150 height=5>
    1 in 150 babies born today will have some form of Autism
    </marquee>
    Unlocking Autism Mission Trips to Honduras My Space
    I got it. I downloaded and coverted the custom ROM. Then plu6ed in my USB cable with my phone already on Bootlog screen. First custom ROM is working. And it was easy.
    Nik<hr>M100 --->M125 --->M500 --->Treo300 --->Sprint-Treo600 --->Sprint-Treo650
    <hr>
    Rom 8:31 <'><
    <marquee bgcolor=red width=150 height=5>
    1 in 150 babies born today will have some form of Autism
    </marquee>
    Unlocking Autism Mission Trips to Honduras My Space
    Hi everybody,

I recently purchased a 4 gig SD card for my treo650. I have cingular which I had unlocked previously. After doing search on this site , I found a way to unbrand the phone and later installed the custom rom from this link

Cust 2- Stripped of Tutorial, Real +++Fat32 added+++

http://rapidshare.de/files/12813463...t2_f32.zip.html

Everything went smoothly. Treo is recognizing the SD card now and I belive it shows it as 3.75 GB . I am able to copy programs from phone to card but not able to sync with my desktop. I get "memory card is full " error.

can someone help please.

thanks
  4.    #124  
    Updated Post #1
    ADDED - 09/05/06:
    Here's a Simple Step-by-Step provided by BGH:
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showp...&postcount=810
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jae_63 View Post
    I can't speak for the previous poster, but I'm looking/hoping for a custom ROM for a Sprint 650 with FAT32, updated Versamail, updated Blazer (if appropriate), RealPlayer stripped out, and other cruft ("BC", tutorials, etc.) stripped out.

Using the ROMtool is pretty easy, but figuring out what to strip is harder and requires a lot of online reading. Also installing the updated Versamail looks challenging.
    I will second this request some kind poster had this on a file site for a while, but it unfortunatly is gone. Much thanks to whom ever takes the time to upload one for us!
    I have completed the SD card method and successfully updated my ROM-LAP but have some issues.

1. Treo intermittently does not turn off and (Red Phone Button does not turn off phone)

More importantly ---->

2. I cant read from the card. I can see media files through the media proggy on the palm but no other files - OK no Probs I have filez and I can see the files but when I use Palm Applications to navigate to the card nothing shows up.

Any ideas??
  7.    #127  
    Okay, Here's my Step-by-Step.

First Read up on Using the RomTool. and how to get it to Communicate
    with your Treo. (Bootloader/Rainbow Screen, etc.)

1. Start the ROM tool program and let it talk with your treo.
    2. Once that is done, Create a Folder on your PC's Desktop called "MYROM".
    3. Go to the "Download Rom" tab and where it asks: "Select the format to download the phones current ROM image as:" choose "Directory"
    (this downloads all the files, unzipped.)
    4. choose "Browse"
    5. Browse to the "MYROM" folder you created, and click "OK".
    6. Click "Download" it should start dowloading your ROM into your "MYROM" folder.
    7. When it is done, copy your "MYROM" folder to your "My Documents" folder, and rename: "MYROM ORIG". (this is your Backup of your unaltered ROM)
    8. Go back to your "MYROM" folder you created on your Desktop, and delete the Fatfs file.
    9. Copy the Fat32 file I've attached below, into your "MYROM" folder.
    10. Go to the "Upload Rom" tab and where it asks "ROM Source" click "Select"
    11. Choose "ROM Directory"
    12. Click "Browse" browse to your "MYROM" folder and then click "Ok"
    13. Then Click "Select"

The RomTool should now be uploading your modified ROM.
    And you will see a progress bar. (see attached)

When the upload is complete, that progress bar will go away, and all you will see is something similar to the "upload complete" pic I attached below.
    Even though as the "upload complete" pic I attached below shows a progress bar just short of complete, you can now close the RomTool and Soft Reset your treo.

Done!

This is how I modify my ROM. I can add or delete things just as if I was working with any folder on my Desktop.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 09/11/2006 at 01:06 PM.
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Updated: 03/28/06

(Cingular 1.17 & ENA 1.20 xls Attached)

I am going to try and get all files defined.
    And I would appreciate any help.
    If you know what one does, tell me, and I will update the list.
    There are a set of MMS files which Allow for Picture Messges (MMS)
    Simbook is to access the address book on GSM sims....which can store names and numbers. Similarly sim services allow you to do such things as calling customer support or automatically checking you balance etc which is provided by the different carriers
    Quote Originally Posted by bobodobo View Post
    Also, although there has been some discussion about these, there doesn't seem to be a definite answer about these giant files:

* NetFrontLib (needed by Blazer or not?)
    * Pixer4 (not needed if you don't do picture messaging?)
    * SyncClient (not needed if you don't do wireless over-the-air sync?)
    * SyncMail (not needed if you don't use Versamail?)

One could save over 3 MB by canning these. In all cases, I don't need the functionality the apps provide, but I worry about a domino effect.
    Hey, bobo,

ever get an answer for NetFrontLib? I removed Blazer from my custom rom and I'm wondering if I can now remove netfront lib...
    Treo 650 Verizon
    Quote Originally Posted by abe frohman View Post
    Hey, bobo,

ever get an answer for NetFrontLib? I removed Blazer from my custom rom and I'm wondering if I can now remove netfront lib...
    Well...I took a deep breath and removed NetFrontLib_Device.prc from my ROM. So far everything seems to work. I tested apps that connect to the network such as SnapperMail, Xiino, FlightStatus, Directory Assistant...they all seem to work fine and I freed up 1.3Mb of ROM space...

I'll post back if I find some problems...
    Treo 650 Verizon
    Hi Abe,

In answer to your question, no I didn't try removing NetFrontLib since I'm still using Blazer (I tried Xiino a few times but it never worked well for me.)

I hadn't looked at the custom ROM threads for a long time, but by coincidence I was re-reading them today in preparation for doing the SDHC card customization (gotta have 8 GB, you know, 4 GB is SO last week...)

While it's always dangerous to do 2 changes at the same time, I was particularly interested in getting rid of (in the unzipped ROM file list) all of the files apparently related to Pixer4, which I think is only used for picture messages, which I never do:

Pixer4.bprc
    Pixer4_enUS.oprc
    P4TemplateFixup_enUS.oprc
    P4TemplateFixup.bprc
    P4Templates.pdb

Have you tried removing those? (It appears that this would clear about 900 kb of ROM even after the compression) Any problems?
    Hi Abe,

In answer to your question, no I didn't try removing NetFrontLib since I'm still using Blazer (I tried Xiino a few times but it never worked well for me.)

I hadn't looked at the custom ROM threads for a long time, but by coincidence I was re-reading them today in preparation for doing the SDHC card customization (gotta have 8 GB, you know, 4 GB is SO last week...)

While it's always dangerous to do 2 changes at the same time, I was particularly interested in getting rid of (in the unzipped ROM file list) all of the files apparently related to Pixer4, which I think is only used for picture messages, which I never do:

Pixer4.bprc
    Pixer4_enUS.oprc
    P4TemplateFixup.bprc
    P4Templates.pdb

Have you tried removing those? (It appears that this would clear about 900 kb of ROM even after the compression) Any problems?

I haven't tried removing the pixer files...I should though, I never use it. Maybe I'll try. If I do I'll post back.
    Treo 650 Verizon
    Hi Abe,

Pixer4.bprc
    Pixer4_enUS.oprc
    P4TemplateFixup.bprc
    P4Templates.pdb

Hey, bobo,

Which carrier are you on? I may do this...but, I don't see these files on shadowmites list. I see 6 files in ROM with the creator id EPp4. I may try to remove them all. They are:

Pixer4.bprc
    Pixer4_enUS.oprc
    P4TemplateFixup.bprc
    P4Templates.pdb
    MMS_VRZW
    Treo 650 Verizon
    Hi Abe,

Pixer4.bprc
    Pixer4_enUS.oprc
    P4TemplateFixup.bprc
    P4Templates.pdb

OK...I removed all of the above files. I left MMS_VRZW...its tiny anyway. The MMS icon is now gone and so far everything is running fine. Regular SMS is working.
    Treo 650 Verizon
    You beat me to it. I just did the SDHC upgrade + removed all the pixer files, and all is well (no MMS but SMS is ok). My SD card works fine too, but i need to try an SDHC card also before I declare total victory. I forgot to remove the small MMS*.* files, about 15k total; next time I do a custom ROM I'll remove them too.

One other thing - the other large file that seems to be delete-able is Graffiti2Library_enUS (file type: overlay) which is almost 200k. Since the Treo doesn't do Graffiti, is this necessary? Or is the name a misnomer and it actually has useful functions?
    You beat me to it. I just did the SDHC upgrade + removed all the pixer files, and all is well (no MMS but SMS is ok). My SD card works fine too, but i need to try an SDHC card also before I declare total victory. I forgot to remove the small MMS*.* files, about 15k total; next time I do a custom ROM I'll remove them too.

One other thing - the other large file that seems to be delete-able is Graffiti2Library_enUS (file type: overlay) which is almost 200k. Since the Treo doesn't do Graffiti, is this necessary? Or is the name a misnomer and it actually has useful functions?
    Some MMS* files belonged to MultiMail and are safe to delete. I remember deleting one of the wrong MMS* files and SMS would crash. So, I have 3 MMS* files of a total ~10k...they are:

MMSApp_VRZW.cprc
    MMSLib.bprc
    MMSLib_enUS.oprc

As for the Graffiti files...shadowmites list says to keep them...so I kept them. If you have success, let me know. You go first this time...
    Treo 650 Verizon
    I just finished with my basic custom ROM the other day. It was VERY EASY!!! I've been using Palm since the Palm Pro and have had the 650 since December 04, so I don't know why I waited so long. I guess I didn't want to screw anything up.

If you've been lurking around this forum for a while, go ahead and give it a try. Make sure you read everything carefully before you do it. Don't blame someone else if you try to do something you're not sure about.

All I did was remove QuickTour (I hated having that), RealPlayer, and upgraded to FAT32. Nice work everyone!
    Last edited by mavsman78; 01/25/2007 at 02:21 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mavsman78 View Post
    All I did was remove QuickTour (I hated having that), RealPlayer, and upgraded to FAT32. Nice work everyone!
    mavsman78,
    The 3 things you changed with your custom ROM are exactly the things I want to change as well! (Dump QuickTour, RealPlayer and switch for FAT32) How much space did you free up by doing this?

..Handspring...\..........Palm.........\.........Palm........\.........Palm......\.....Motorola.....
    .VisorDeluxe.../............Vx.........../........M-100......./......Treo650.../.......Droid........
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyD View Post
    The 3 things you changed with your custom ROM are exactly the things I want to change as well! (Dump QuickTour, RealPlayer and switch for FAT32) How much space did you free up by doing this?
    Deleting things out of ROM don't free up any space in the RAM. The ROM is set to a particular size (7.1 MB for Sprint, I believe). Think of it as a separate partition on your hard drive. So, if you're hoping to have more room for apps, you're better off to get an SD card...maybe a 4GB one, now that you'll be able so use it.

That said, it deleted about 600kb of unzipped space out of ROM, which would probably be about 300kb or so zipped space.
    PalmPilot Professional -> Handspring Visor Deluxe (Blue) -> Samsung SPH-I300 -> Sony Clie PEG-SJ30 -> Sony Clie PEG-SJ33 -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Palm Pre

Hey, bobodobo,

Did you try removing those graffiti files?
    Treo 650 Verizon