Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    I will try the second usb port. I do not have another sync cable. I'll let you know. Thanx.
    I see a lot of info about which ROMs work on which phones. I see things like that the FM Blazer won't work on Sprint.

People say that if you have Cingular or Sprint that you already have a small ROM.

I see things about GSM Unlocked or about Cingular.

What I see so very little of is about Verizon in particular.

I assume, therefore, that my best bet is to download my own ROM, and remove things from it to get to a larger DB Cache. I am not interested in replacing any built in apps other than going with fat32, and I am not interested in adding any additional apps to my ROM.

So with that in mind, if all I want to do is to get fat32 with the most usable DB Cache, is this something I need to do myself, or is there a pre-built ROM out there that does this and is usable with a Verizon phone?

Thanks,

-Verxion
  3.    #103  
    Quote Originally Posted by Verxion
    I see a lot of info about which ROMs work on which phones. I see things like that the FM Blazer won't work on Sprint.

People say that if you have Cingular or Sprint that you already have a small ROM.

I see things about GSM Unlocked or about Cingular.

What I see so very little of is about Verizon in particular.

I assume, therefore, that my best bet is to download my own ROM, and remove things from it to get to a larger DB Cache. I am not interested in replacing any built in apps other than going with fat32, and I am not interested in adding any additional apps to my ROM.

So with that in mind, if all I want to do is to get fat32 with the most usable DB Cache, is this something I need to do myself, or is there a pre-built ROM out there that does this and is usable with a Verizon phone?

Thanks,

-Verxion
    You are correct, there has not been as many custom verizon roms built.
    I don't even know where to find them. I'll go look.

But I would say, if you are comfortable with the RomTool, then that's the best route to go.

However; The benny of first going with an SD method is to get your Rom partition size down.
    verizon: 8.4
    sprint: 7.1
    Just call me Berd.
  4.    #104  
    I did find this:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...&postcount=323
    It's a do-it-yourself Rom Partition size change.

I will keep looking.
    Just call me Berd.
  5.    #105  
    In the above link I provided, james says toward the end: "In the Palm folder create Launcher dir. Copy the appropriate ROMUpdaterApp here."
    He may have intended to provide those ROMUpdaterApp.prc's needed.
    Either way, here is a link to those:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...82&postcount=1
    Just call me Berd.
    Thanks a ton berdinkerdickle, and nice name besides!

-Verxion
    Just make sure you trim your ROM image smaller than 7MB.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

I am stumped. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I am in the "Rainbow Bootloader". The red band reads "Boot load v 0.24"
    The green band reads "SD" and the blue band reads "usb".
    The ROM Tool has "found phone, waiting for bootloader", I get two green progress bars then.............nothing.

I've tried this several times. In different USB slots. I know my sync cable is good because I use it all the time.

Once, I quit the ROM Tool and relaunched with my phone still in "Rainbow Bootloader" mode. The device status reads: Error: Unable to open \\WCEUSBSH001. Is this the result of not starting the process over in the proper order or is it a clue to some other problem?

I was originally concerned that the Bootloader install wasn't good due to the "non-certified" or "unsigned" nature of the driver as I was informed by my computer. I have however discovered that the wceusbsh system file file was installed in the Drivers folder within the System32 folder, which I guess is the right place but within the System 32 folder there is also a "DRYSTORE" folder containing a Bootloader folder. Enclosed within are; the Setup Info, Plugandplay Security Catalog and wceusbsh System file. The Folder and all enclosing file names text color is blue.
    Does any of this mean anything to anyone?

I am trying to gain the ability to read a 4GB SD card by upgrading CNG to ENC (and maybe FBlazer if it is included in the ENC upgrade?). I am afraid my TomTom registration is somehow tied to the SD card and want to use my new 4GB which would be dedicated. I cannot move forward until I get this new ROM installed. I'd prefer not going out to buy a new 2GBSD when I have a perfectly good 4GB waiting here.....

At this point, any help, instruction or suggestion is greatly appreciated.

Treo 650 - Cingular GSM
    Hello,

I'm trying to run the RomTool Ver 1.0.0.0 but not getting very far. I get the rainbow screen but then the RomTool reports Upload Error - Security Password.

My phone does have a password set and I cannot delete it. The corporate Goodlink policies require it. Are there any workarounds? (short of deleting Goodlink)

Thanks!

Mike
    Thanks for all the work with this ROMTOOL program. I had absolutely no need to use it, but because "it's there" I did. Loaded everything I have into a stripped rom image (except VolumeCare which reboots device) and I have like 13megs free. Kept me off the streets and out of the bars for a few nights!

Thanks again for the hard work.
    And to help others please don't forget to list the stable third party software here:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=119565
    A quick question, I'm reading for a while now how to do an 'custom rom upgrade', and wanted to download the highly recommended rom file from Jamesgangut on rapidshare. However, I can't download it, rapidshare tells me it is unavailable.

Is there anyone who can help me with getting this rom-file, or maybe to another (newer, better?) rom file?

Thanks in advance!
    --- double post, sorry ---
    Last edited by astra; 07/17/2006 at 03:15 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by astra
    A quick question, I'm reading for a while now how to do an 'custom rom upgrade', and wanted to download the highly recommended rom file from Jamesgangut on rapidshare. However, I can't download it, rapidshare tells me it is unavailable.

Is there anyone who can help me with getting this rom-file, or maybe to another (newer, better?) rom file?

Thanks in advance!
    Which one? What exactly are you looking for?
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Quote Originally Posted by jamesgangut
    Which one? What exactly are you looking for?
    berdinkerdickle mentioned a custom rom file in the openings post in this topic, which you created. The openings post also included a link to a rapidshare download, however that didn't seem to work yesterday. A couple of moments ago I tried it again and now it works again So thanks for replying!

One more question though, does this custom rom include the newest Bluetooth files (from the 700p), or not? And if not, would it be wise to integrate them, ie will it make the bluetooth experience better? (my Treo is echoing on my carkit, very annoying)
    I can't speak for the previous poster, but I'm looking/hoping for a custom ROM for a Sprint 650 with FAT32, updated Versamail, updated Blazer (if appropriate), RealPlayer stripped out, and other cruft ("BC", tutorials, etc.) stripped out.

Using the ROMtool is pretty easy, but figuring out what to strip is harder and requires a lot of online reading. Also installing the updated Versamail looks challenging.
    Hello all! Thanks for the GREAT information here.

I've had an unlocked Cingular Treo 650 for quite a while. I've considered trying to do the updates to 1.20 ENA described here, but every time I saw the term "brick" I was done.

Well, I finally did it with the CNG_to_ENA file; it was as easy as can be. It got rid of all of the evil Cingular specific files and all was good.

I synced and didn't get half of my apps back (I didn't notice if the data was back). Then I restored the backup and all my apps and data returned...including my biggest pet pieve of the Cingular load: the Favorites on the phone app! It hardwires buttons to Cingular specific numbers such as Voice Dial, Bill Balance, Check Minutes, etc.

How can I get the standard Favorites page?

Thanks.
    John
    Ok, I thought I could find this, but I can't, so I'll ask.

I'm getting a new Treo, and, more than likely, going to have to give mine back to Sprint. Just so they don't get upset, how do I go back to the original ROM? I recently migrated to a new hard drive, and the original is somewhere on the old one. Do I need to get that out, or can I just download it from the Sprint website and use that, the most recent version?

Also, whenever I get my new one, do I need to update the boot something file? I saw on some thread that it's best to go and delete the programs you took out, just to make it boot smoother, but I can't find any other mention of it. I didn't add anything it, but it said to put those programs in also. I don't plan on adding, so, would this even be necessary?

Thanks!
    Ok, I've searched all over, but can't find any info on this.

I bought a Garmin GPS 10 with City Navigator maps, SO I need to upgrade to a 4 GB SD card, SO I need FAT32, SO I need to make a custom ROM (Verizon in my case), SO I decided I might as well do spring cleaning on the current ROM. I've read all the threads and know of apps that definitely can or can't be deleted from ROM. But here's a couple I THINK can be deleted, but I can't find any specific yea or nay on this or any other site:

* Boot_esES (Spanish-language boot loader?)
    * Card Info (seems totally unnecessary when you have FileZ)
    * Graffiti 2 (I never use it)

I'll probably try deleting these but I'd like to get a nice warm fuzzy feeling from the experts here before doing so.

Also, although there has been some discussion about these, there doesn't seem to be a definite answer about these giant files:

* NetFrontLib (needed by Blazer or not?)
    * Pixer4 (not needed if you don't do picture messaging?)
    * SyncClient (not needed if you don't do wireless over-the-air sync?)
    * SyncMail (not needed if you don't use Versamail?)

One could save over 3 MB by canning these. In all cases, I don't need the functionality the apps provide, but I worry about a domino effect.
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    You could just download the rom from the new phone as soon as u get it then upload it into the old phone.
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast