1.    #1  
    Hi, I'm new to the forum and hope someone can help me out. I'm living in Beijing and want to buy a Treo 650. According to the Hong Kong palm site the Chinese version of the Treo 650 only supports windows.

system requirements
    Windows
    •Windows 2000 or XP (later versions may also be supported) with USB port (USB HotSync® cable included)
    • CD-ROM drive

• Treo 650 Limited Edition Smartphone supports Windows only.

Does anyone have any experience buying a Treo 650 in China? Is there any way I can use this smartphone with my Mac??
    [QUOTE]Hi, I'm new to the forum and hope someone can help me out. I'm living in Beijing and want to buy a Treo 650. According to the Hong Kong palm site the Chinese version of the Treo 650 only supports windows.

system requirements
    Windows
    •Windows 2000 or XP (later versions may also be supported) with USB port (USB HotSync® cable included)
    • CD-ROM drive

• Treo 650 Limited Edition Smartphone supports Windows only.

Does anyone have any experience buying a Treo 650 in China? Is there any way I can use this smartphone with my Mac??
    BTW, I am from beijing also.lol
    what do you mean by "only support windows"? you mean PC OS?? as far as I know palm OS works fine on both Mac and Windows.
    what's Limited Ed?
    Why can't you buy it in China??
  3.    #3  
    According to both the Hong Kong palm sites and the China websites, system requirements are Windows 2000 or XP. I quoted the information from the Hong Kong site. I'm not sure why they are calling it limited edition. The Treo 650 available in China is branded CECT, not PalmOne. And as I said, the Chinese site also mentions that the Smartphone only supports windows.
    if you don't need chinese language support, I think you can just buy a regular unlocked gsm treo. Even if you need chinese language support, you can always buy a chinese overlay later. Treo 650 will support both windows and mac pcs.
  5.    #5  
    The problem is, I'm in Beijing and I don't think I'll be able to find a regular unlocked gsm treo. The Treos available in China are the Chinese version, and as I said earlier according to the Chinese website they only support windows.

Will third party software such as 'The Missing Sync' solve my problems?
    Last edited by Xiao Bei; 03/02/2006 at 08:39 PM.
    The grey market Treo from Hong Kong that is available from some stores in Beijing is a regular unlocked gsm version. When you are in the store get them to put a battery and SIM card and start it up. Press the green phone button to take you to the dial pad unless you are already there. Press the menu key and near the bottom of the menu. If the software is listed as ROW it is an multi-European language version with CJKOS and PenPower on a CD. If is LAP it is a later asian version sold everywhere from Hong Kong to Australia for English language users. I believe this one also has CJKOS and PenPower on a CD but I don't know for sure. Maybe someone else can confirm this. If it says APR it is a multi-language English, Traditional Chinese and Simplified Chinese version with CJKOS and PenPower in ROM. They are all unlocked GSM phones.
    I am also in Beijing =)

Thanks for the information about the various software versions on the Treo, jgm. What's the version sold in the U.S.? Is one preferable to another?

Debating whether to buy one here in Beijing or wait till next week when I return for a trip back to the U.S. However, it would be nice to have the Chinese support pre-installed.

Xiao Bei, what sort of pricing have you seen in Beijing for an unlocked 650? And where to buy? I assume they are available in Zongguancun, but it's kind of a hike. The only pricing I saw online in China was well above U.S. pricing (almost 5500 RMB).
    Quote Originally Posted by pangloss
    I am also in Beijing =)

Thanks for the information about the various software versions on the Treo, jgm. What's the version sold in the U.S.? Is one preferable to another?

Debating whether to buy one here in Beijing or wait till next week when I return for a trip back to the U.S. However, it would be nice to have the Chinese support pre-installed.

Xiao Bei, what sort of pricing have you seen in Beijing for an unlocked 650? And where to buy? I assume they are available in Zongguancun, but it's kind of a hike. The only pricing I saw online in China was well above U.S. pricing (almost 5500 RMB).
    The U.S. version is ENA. The advantages or disadvantages differ on who you are and how you use. It also matters if you plan to get adventurous and install a custom ROM.

You can install CJKOS and PenPower on any version but it is included with the APR version or on CD with the early ROW version sold in Hong Kong. Not sure if the LAP version includes CJKOS or not. So if you get a phone in the U.S. you will need to buy CJKOs.

The online price of 5500 is for the CECT branded phone. They are the official distributor in mainland China for Treos. This is the APR version with CJKOS in ROM. Not sure how much bargaining room there is in the market on this version.

I have heard from a fairly reliable source that at least one Hong Kong grey market phone was sold in Zhong Guan Cun for about 4400 a few months ago, before the CECT version came out. The Hong Kong grey market version is most likely a ROW version with CJKOS on the CD.

There is an electronics market on Chao Yang Men Wai but I don't know what prices are like there or what is available. I forget the exact name of the market but I believe Xiao Bei knows the name.

If you want to get adventurous you can install any version on any GSM phone. You can build custom ROMS with your choice of apps included or excluded. You can even play around with ROM partition size to gain more RAM and dbcache which can help make the Treo more stable although the latest ROM updates are quite stable.
  9.    #9  
    Pangloss et al,

The electronics market on Chao Yang Men Wai Da Jie is called Bai Nao Hui. There is a vendor there selling the 650 for 4950 RMB. They have a web portal at www.palmpark.com.cn (they have a price quote for 4950 there as well) They are on the first floor of Bai Nao Hui, as you enter the main doors their store/stall is directly to your right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Bei
    Pangloss et al,

The electronics market on Chao Yang Men Wai Da Jie is called Bai Nao Hui. There is a vendor there selling the 650 for 4950 RMB. They have a web portal at www.palmpark.com.cn (they have a price quote for 4950 there as well) They are on the first floor of Bai Nao Hui, as you enter the main doors their store/stall is directly to your right.
    The picture is not very clear but by the size and shape of the lettering that appears to be a CECT phone. That is a pretty good discount this early although I guess they might need to drop the price to get people interested in Palm which is not well known here at all. I have seen an covering the entire side of bus so I guess they are making a serious effort to market them.