1.    #1  
    Please help me diagnose--is it possible that this is a software problem?

I have a sprint treo 650. A friend gave it to me, after she tried to get it going but failed. It was brand new to her, and I attributed her failure to standard new user ignorance, etc., but maybe there's something wrong with the unit.

Anyway, after soft reset and hard reset, the "Use stylus to tap center of target" message" comes on, but when I tap the treo does not seem to notice.

Is it broken or is there a possible software fix? Also, it's probably out of warranty (and in any case, my friend doesn't have the necessary info--she's wealthy and doesn't save warranty stuff or return on time). If I can't get it going, is there anything better to do with it than throw it away?

Thanks.
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    Does it have a screen protector on it? If so, part of the protector could be wedged between the edge of the screen and the case. This causes the screen to "lock up." Try removing the screen protector.

If no protector, you could still have the same problem from a bit of dirt or whatever wedged in there. Take a piece of paper, stick one corner between the screen and case, and gently slide it around all 4 edges of the screen to dig out any foreign objects.

If that doesn't do it, it's probably hosed, in which case you could probably get a few bucks selling it for parts.
    ... Als sie mich holten, gab es keinen mehr, der protestieren konnte.
    ... Then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak out.
    -- Rev. Martin Niemöller

Clie T615C + Nokia 6360 (SunCom) --> Treo 650 (Sprint) --> Treo 755p (Sprint) + BlackBerry 7130e (VZW)
    Palm (aka Plantronics) Ultralight Wireless headset
    Helix Holster
    is there a screen protector on it? Have heard that it can cause it to think there is a stylus pushing on a spot...and it can only detect a press in 1 spot, no 2 at a time...so your presses or ignored

of course the touch area could be toast also
    could the screen be replaced in this instance?? or is there a deeper issue.
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cheetahjeremy
    could the screen be replaced in this instance?? or is there a deeper issue.
    Which instance? Several possibilities have been discussed. But yeah, if the screen is defective, it can be replaced.

Jmbailey, any progress on this problem?
    -- Rev. Martin Niemöller

Clie T615C + Nokia 6360 (SunCom) --> Treo 650 (Sprint) --> Treo 755p (Sprint) + BlackBerry 7130e (VZW)
    Helix Holster
    sorry, i have this problem that i think a million different things in one line of text. I assume that my questions are clear, when in fact they aren't.... what i meant to say was... in the case where there are no other obvious influences such as the dirt around the edges or the screen protector, no other debris.... would the problem MOST LIKELY be solved with a different screen. this guy has a 650 that powers up apparently fine until the touchscreen calibration step in setup. It seems that the screen is the only problem and that simply replacing the screen would solve the problem since there are no other indications of reasons for the screen not working.
    If you are using a screen protector you might inspect it carefully. Possibly a bent corner or wrinkle that may be out of normal sight. This has happened to me before and is very agravating to day the least. Something to look for if you are using one...
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cheetahjeremy
    sorry, i have this problem that i think a million different things in one line of text...
    Believe me, I can relate. I forgot that the OP asked about alternatives to throwing it away. Sure, you can buy a screen (think I've heard of them going for $150 or so), which beats tossing the device. That would probably fix the problem if no simpler solutions work. I noticed the OP has a different post asking about using parts from an Earthlink 650 in a Sprint 650, so methinks he's found a donor...
    -- Rev. Martin Niemöller

Helix Holster
    For what it's worth. I had the same problem and solved it by opening the unit up and checking the cable tightness. Did the trick. Not for everyone, mind you, but not a big deal if you get the right tools and are reasonably careful.