Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    i have a brand new treo that is supposively reported lost/ stolen, however it is brand new everything in the bags. no i don't have the reciept. i got the phone from a classified add. when i went to activate the phone the guy said it was reported lost/ stolen. so what do i do?!?

it would be used on the sprint network. is there anyway for sprint people to clear that-they said yes but they need authorization from whoever reported it lost or stolen.. so is there anyway to contact the person that reported lost or stolen? . or is there anyway help anyone can give me.

and if there is nothing i can do, can i send it back to palm one or something??

all help greatly appreciated!!!
    Sounds like you should report the person you bought it from as they sold you some stolen property. . .
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    I'm sorry to say your only recourse is to get your money back from the seller.

New box does not matter -- a shipment could have been stolen. If the property is stolen -- you have no right to it, even if you gave someone money for it.

Did you pay with a credit card? Have the payment removed from you account or stop payment on the check. . . .

Sorry.
    Quote Originally Posted by skee2much

I assume you mean as the manufacturer, but not the vendor- You didn't get a stolen unit from Palm, did you? (now that would be news-lol)
    From the Desk Of....
    MindFull
    SF Bay~
    The Treo 650: Crisp & Clean, but the RAM is lean!
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    you either responded to an ad that was "too good to be true", only tofind out it wasn't true, or got screwed in a real transaction. You should be able to contact the individual for a refund, or if they refuse, dispute the cc transaction, or if you paid cash, call the police.

I sold a 650 on ebay that was incorrectly flagged as stolen by Sprint. As the seller, it was really my responsibility to correct the situation.

the point is, allow for the fact that this is an error, and if you get no response from the seller, fry 'em.
    actually, when I went to buy my phone from CompUSA, the first (and only) phone they had there I paid for and everything and when they went to activate it, it was registered as stolen with Sprint, guy tried to do everything to get it fixed but apparently even though it was NEW, never opened from original box (I broke the seal) and still in the store, they were gunna have to send it back to Sprint. So I got to wait a week for another one to get sent to me.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by pabo
    you either responded to an ad that was "too good to be true", only tofind out it wasn't true, or got screwed in a real transaction. You should be able to contact the individual for a refund, or if they refuse, dispute the cc transaction, or if you paid cash, call the police.

I sold a 650 on ebay that was incorrectly flagged as stolen by Sprint. As the seller, it was really my responsibility to correct the situation.

the point is, allow for the fact that this is an error, and if you get no response from the seller, fry 'em.

so should i get the police involved? just go in and talk to the police? i did get the guys license plate but what if his name is not really what he told me?
    Plate should track him....unless plates or car was stolen......how dd you contact him in the ad ? Call him back and tell him he has 12 hours to make things right before you call police.
    i have a brand new treo that is supposively reported lost/ stolen, however it is brand new everything in the bags. no i don't have the reciept. i got the phone from a classified add. when i went to activate the phone the guy said it was reported lost/ stolen. so what do i do?!?

it would be used on the sprint network. is there anyway for sprint people to clear that-they said yes but they need authorization from whoever reported it lost or stolen.. so is there anyway to contact the person that reported lost or stolen? . or is there anyway help anyone can give me.

call again and get somebody else!!!! sometimes people change the esn to something bogus, which is no big deal until the wrong esn gets picked to mess with
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by broberob
    call again and get somebody else!!!! sometimes people change the esn to something bogus, which is no big deal until the wrong esn gets picked to mess with

not too sure i understand what your saying??

yea it looks like i am going to have to track him by plates, anyone know they best way to do this?
    not too sure i understand what your saying??

yea it looks like i am going to have to track him by plates, anyone know they best way to do this?

call sprint again, press the option for sales and if they say no call back in again, somebody will probably do it
    Well with Barney having past away this week and Columbo uavailable , I'd just pop into my local police station. Bring copy of ad you answered.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Once the police are involved, they can get the info from the paper that ran the ad, or the plates, or whatever.

Buyer Beware.

Don't feel too bad, two guys here in Philly went to buy a high-end used car based on an ad they read in the paper (honest, this is true). AT THE DEALERSHIP, the sales person showed the car and negotiated the deal on the lot. The guys gave him a several thousand dollar deposit so he could go and write up the transaction inside. He walked out the other side of the dealership, got in a car and drove off. He planted the ad and never actually worked at the dealership.
    Well skee2much....

If what you say is truthfull, it sounds to me like you purchased stolen property from a slimeball who sells stolen property from the trunk of his stolen car.

You may have been looking for deal on a phone that was to good to be true.

If you want a legit phone, purchase one from a legit source.

Chalk it up to lesson learned and move on.

Chuck
    Not sure I agree with you, Chuck. Yes, it is best to purchase from legit source (though again, from the other stories on this thread, even that has it's problems). But I would not just "chalk it up to lesson learned and move on." If Skee2Much is being honest (why not?), then he got screwed and I would encourage him to pursue the legal options available to set things straight. Just walking away reinforces the "bad guys" and teaches them you can screw people and they'll just walk away with a lesson and they walk away with cash and desire to do it again. Sorry Skee2Much, this sucks. Hope you pursue it fully, if only to feel like you did what you could for yourself.

Dana
    Dana A. Max, Psy.D.
    Licensed Psychologist
    Palm III, Palm IIIc, Palm m515, Treo 650, Centro
    Hi Dana!

I think Chuck agrees with you, he had just already jumped to "the money is gone and will probably not be found", police or no police.

Cheers, Perry
    Hey, Perry... my error, I read it a bit differently. That is, unfortunately, probably true...sounds like the money is gone. Thanks for clarifying the issue.

Dana
    Dana A. Max, Psy.D.
    Licensed Psychologist
    Palm III, Palm IIIc, Palm m515, Treo 650, Centro
  18.    #18  
    yea it sucks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    Hi Dana!

I think Chuck agrees with you, he had just already jumped to "the money is gone and will probably not be found", police or no police.

Cheers, Perry
    Hey Perry

Spot on with your assessment of my reply. I don't know what skee2much paid for the "stolen" phone, the dollar amount is probably trivial compared to the valuable lesson he may learn from this.

Then the idea of tracking the license plate of this fine upstanding member of society who sold the phone is, well...........

I guess skee2much will have to become a bloodhound.

Chuck
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by chckhbrt
    Hey Perry

Spot on with your assessment of my reply. I don't know what skee2much paid for the "stolen" phone, the dollar amount is probably trivial compared to the valuable lesson he may learn from this.

Then the idea of tracking the license plate of this fine upstanding member of society who sold the phone is, well...........

I guess skee2much will have to become a bloodhound.

Chuck

i am on the verge of becoming one "bloodhound". but i am thinking if i want to or not. But i am also thinking the best way about getting the plates tracked.

like someone else said the police probably won't be too helpful. any suggestions?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast