1. Liv
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Hello All,

I just ordered the Magnesium case last night and was hoping to get some updated information on it.

This is the link to the case:

http://store.treocentral.com/content.../4-23--243.htm

I got the one with the SD card slots in the back, because I know I will most likely have a few cards to use later on.

As an afterthought today, I am thinking I should have gotten the one with no SD card slots because who knows how long it will be before I buy other SD cards.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had had updated information on this case, I saw a few threads on it but they are a couple of months old.

Does this case show any signs of scratching on the treo?

I know the hinge does not fold back completely because of the SD bulge, but besides that, any other important complaints?

Are ya'll happy with it?

Thanks!
    The case is built like a brick...unfortunately it is also shaped like one so you'll need to get new trousers with extra large pockets. Seriously though, it is a good case, extremely solid and well built if a little bulky.
  3. Liv
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    That is cool, see the nice thing about being a girl is you don't really worry about bulk, it is just going in your purse anyway. I could never use a belt clip. Not sure exactly how to wear it on myself. I usually stick it in my back jeans pocket if I am running around without a purse, or just clip it to my purse, stick it in my purse. All depending on which purse I am carrying around of course
    I used to use it and it was a good case. I did drop it once, I think (while asleep and trying to turn off the alarm). The case cracked at that little piece right above the volume buttons. Also, the black finish does scratch off, revealing silver underneatch. A Sharpie or black magic marker will cover it fine, but it's pretty tough. I carried it in my pocket with my keys and only had one small scratch. Also, the SD card slots are going to be a bit tight, at least they were with mine. I read they loosen after time. What I did was, I pulled them out from the inside, filed them down just a tad, and super gluede them back in.

And no, it never scratched my Treo. It was perfect, until I dropped it in a parking lot. The case hit the ground, opened (I think it bent just a bit), and landed, open, face down, with my SD card about 6" away. Everything's fine, just a few scratches on the Treo.
    I just returned mine. I liked it for the protection, but it was just a little too bulky. But the real reason I returned it was because I felt it hindered my reception. I was always getting the "searching for network" tone. I have since went back to the original Verizon case and I have been happier with the reception. But I still am looking for a sleeker case. Perhaps the Sena flip cover, or eNOVO.

Any suggestions welcome.
    I've been using my Magnesium case sporadically for a couple of months. I mainly purchased it for use when travelling by air. I like the extra protection the case provides during the airport security screening process (you know, dump everything into an open bin on the xray belt and then have someone's fully loaded 22" rolling suitcase crash land on top of your stuff). I also liked having the 2 SD card holders so that I can tote along some extra movies/tunes. Unfortunately, the SD card retainer (the plastic piece inside) broke off very early on. I superglued it back on, but it soon broke off again. The good news is that when it breaks off, the cards don't fall out of the case. They, along with the retainer piece, just rattle around inside. If I had to do it all over again, I'd still buy the case but I'd go with the non-SD card version to reduce bulk and skip the hassle of it possibly breaking off again.
    Quote Originally Posted by helicop1
    But the real reason I returned it was because I felt it hindered my reception. I was always getting the "searching for network" tone.
    The entire time I had the case, I never had any problems with reception. I remember seeing a poll around here a while back asking about reception issues and hard cases. The aluminium ones had the worst while the magnesiums had I believe 0.
  8. Liv
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Hmmm.

I see everyones issues with it

Just from what I am hearing, be careful with the Sena cases, if they have not changed it recently, it has the reputation of rubbing off the paint all over the treo, being the treo already has a cruddy paint job, it makes it SO much worse.
    i have been using the magnesium case since they first came out, and have been very happy with it. the added distance from the ear piece makes is a little hard to hear while on a call with the case closed, but since i use a bluetooth headset, it doesn't really matter to me. i like how well the treo is protected whilst in the case, and still easy to access all the buttons (except for keyboard and screen). the extra sd card holders where awesome when i only had a 512 and 128 card, but now that i have a 2 gig, i have stopped carrying the others. overall, it's a well made case.
    it's not a crack house, it's a crack home.
    I do like the magnesium case a lot. I need the protection, bad! I have dropped the Treo a few times with and without the case, I think the case is a big plus in keeping it from being damaged! I do, however, notice issues with reception. I often take it out of the case in week signal areas so I do not lose the connection! I have the one with the SD card holders although I have not used the space for them yet. I'll have to put some content on the second card that I just bought!
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Do any of you who have the Magnesium case also have the Seidio INNOdock cradle? The INNOpocket aluminum case fits in the INNOdock cradle perfectly. I've used it for many months. I'm curious if the Magnesium case (with or without the SD card holders).. will also fit on this cradle, and lean back properly against the cradle's 45 degree backrest or not..

Thanks,

Harv
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
    When I was testing the case, I noticed that it *might* affect reception, but what I considered 1/2 a bars worth. An odd approximation that didn't make it into the review. In my real world use, it didn't make a difference. In thin coverage areas it might.

I mention in my review that the SD card slots are too tight, but when I did a little jiggling and such, loosened them up and now they are a solid fit and I have never had an indication that the whole mechanism would come loose.

In my review of the slotless case, I discovered that I much prefer the version with slots. This is the case I use every day. It is wonderful. I always fear dropping my Treo and in fact, it has taken some minor tumbles. Even with the slotted version, the case door does lie nearly flush with the back while open. If I''m not using a headset, I'll usually open it up to use it.

I was not completely pleased with the Sena cases I tried. You may want to prowl through a bunch of the case reviews before plunking down your cash. Thirty or forty bucks seems reasonable for a case. But if you get a caseyou don't like, then you're into 60-80 for a case by the time you've got a second one. Research here in the forums and in the reviews is time well spent.
    Quote Originally Posted by hrlaser
    Do any of you who have the Magnesium case also have the Seidio INNOdock cradle? The INNOpocket aluminum case fits in the INNOdock cradle perfectly. I've used it for many months. I'm curious if the Magnesium case (with or without the SD card holders).. will also fit on this cradle, and lean back properly against the cradle's 45 degree backrest or not..

Thanks,

Harv
    Yes, the Magnesium case works with the Seidio InnoDock. The only caveat is that it sits straight up in the dock. It doesn't lean back at all, so this angle makes it a little harder to read the screen while I am sitting at my desk.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by usskaos1
    Yes, the Magnesium case works with the Seidio InnoDock. The only caveat is that it sits straight up in the dock. It doesn't lean back at all, so this angle makes it a little harder to read the screen while I am sitting at my desk.
    That's too bad. I like the slick black look, but I won't get one if it won't dock properly with the cradle and lean back, like the aluminum one does. Too bad they don't offer the aluminum one in black. I suppose it could be painted, but that's not a project I'd want to tackle.

I have yet to find the perfect case. There probably isn't a perfect case. The aluminum case is very protective but it's cold, slippery, and it slides right off a car seat. The sillycone skins are grippy and warm, and they stay put on a car seat, but they're a pain to wrestle on and off, and despite one mfr telling me his skin case could stretch to 10x its shape, always snap back to its like-new form, and would not tear under normal usage, after a few ons and offs (to get at the battery door, or put it in my Seidio GPS car cradle which requires the Treo be absolutely naked).. it eventually got looser, the strip that covers the control buttons started to sag down, and then tore in one place that had a very thin strip of material in a corner.

The Vaja T-66 i-Volution would be close to perfect if the front cover flipped up and over, instead of hanging down. Then it would work with Seidio's new, revised cradle built to hold Vaja cases. It's one of the sexiest products I've ever reviewed, but again, not the perfect case.

Thanks for letting me know about the magnesium case and the crade.

Harv
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
    the magnesium case is the only way to go. If you want to protect your Treo it's real simple-get the magnesium case. I have dropped my phone more than once with no ill effects. As for the angle while charging-put something under the front of the unit such as a mouse pad.
    Does the magnesium case without the SD cards fold back flat? I heard one complaint about the one with the SD cards was it was too thick and the door wouldn't fold back completely.

Also, does the belt clip really rub the window? If so, meh.. I guess it would have to, that or the Treo hang upside down...

I'm pondering replacing my Innopocket aluminum with something I can access the keyboard more with, and was considering a thin skin plus a side loading case, but I really like the protection of the aluminum case.

Anyone have more pictures of the mag case without SD cards in use? Like folded back laying on a table or something, I'm curious how well that would work.. Does it bug you holding with the door flipped back and typing?

Thanks ;-)
    If you are not using the belt clip (and screw that goes on the back of the case) it folds back completely flat. If not, it bumps up against the screw. Please check out my review at http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/722-1.htm

Love this case and use it every day.
    Yep, I read the review, but wasn't quite sure about the folding flat with the screw or not part.. Although I guess the mention of the screw possibly rubbing the window should be enough indication.

So does it bug you to open it up all the way with the screw in and type? That's my biggest reason for updating from the aluminum; hard to type in the case.