Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am sorry if this has been covered before, but I just called VZW and asked if Palm is coming out with a 700 series phone that supports Palm OS, NOT Windows. The guy told me the 700W is Palm OS, I know he is completely wrong and it is Windows based, so is VZW coming out with a Palm OS based 700 series? Thanks!
    Current Theory:

Verizon got 700W first
    Sprint gets 700P first (Sometime between April and July depending on whose talking.)
    Both get the other version later in 2006.

Stay tuned!

Cheers, Perry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    Current Theory:

Verizon got 700W first
    Sprint gets 700P first (Sometime between April and July depending on whose talking.)
    Both get the other version later in 2006.

Stay tuned!

Cheers, Perry.
    Perry, I love your eternal optimism, but you should tell Buldawg that truthfully, no one knows for sure who's getting what and when. Verizon has the 700w now, and it seems likely that Sprint will get the 700p within the next 6 months. Other than that, everything is conjecture at best.
    I'm back!
    THERE WILL BE A 700P! and i am going to take as many applications as i can out of rom to improve the 650

lol
  5.    #5  
    Sorry to sound dumb, but is the 700P suppose to be Palm OS 700 series, or is that the 700W name for Sprint?
    Quote Originally Posted by Buldawg
    Sorry to sound dumb, but is the 700P suppose to be Palm OS 700 series, or is that the 700W name for Sprint?
    Neither. It will (most likely) be the next Palm-powered Treo.
    I'm back!
    700P = palmOS
  8.    #8  
    So 700P is Palm based, well isnt that the same as a 650? So Sprint isnt coming out with a 700 Windows based? I thought the 700P was Speint's Windows based Palm phone.
    So 700P is Palm based, well isnt that the same as a 650? So Sprint isnt coming out with a 700 Windows based? I thought the 700P was Speint's Windows based Palm phone.
    You're confusing model numbers, carriers, and operating systems. Rumor has it that there will be two versions of the Treo 700 (700 is the model number, nothing more): A 'W' version, denoting it's Windows Mobile 5 powered, and a 'P' version, denoting it is PalmOS 5.4 powered. Verizon currently carries the 700W, meaning that's the newest Treo and it is powered by WM5. As of right now, there has been no announcement about Verizon carrying the mythical 700P. Verizon has a 6 month exclusive contract to offer the 700W, and when that's up, supposedly Sprint will be offering the 700W. In the meantime, rumor is that Sprint will be offering a 700P version, which is PalmOS 5.4 powered.

So to recap:
    Carriers - Sprint, Verizon
    Model Number - 700 (meaning only that it's the latest and greatest Treo)
    OS Designator - W (Windows), P(Palm)
    I'm back!
  10.    #10  
    Thank you so much JMILL72X, I assumed that Sprint would come out with the Windows verision first that is why I thought 700 "P" was Spirnt Windows version. You know what happns when you assume (*** u me) Thanks. Now can you please go to my other post about Deleting since I am stupid and cant figure it out.
    I am sorry if this has been covered before, but I just called VZW and asked if Palm is coming out with a 700 series phone that supports Palm OS, NOT Windows. The guy told me the 700W is Palm OS, I know he is completely wrong and it is Windows based, so is VZW coming out with a Palm OS based 700 series? Thanks!
    The 700w is, by definition, windows...that's what the "w" stands for. As for your wquestion use the search button at the top of the page and type in "700p". You will see at least 25 threads on the subject each containing useful information but mostly conjecture. In short, I expect Verizon will be the LAST carrier to get a 700p.....and I'd not expect that anytime soon if ever.

Sprint will have the 1st 700p and that's all anyone knows for sure at this point. Perhaps you can buy one of those and "Verizonize" it just like many did with their 650's. Do a search on "Verizonize" for more info.
    Thank you so much JMILL72X, I assumed that Sprint would come out with the Windows verision first that is why I thought 700 "P" was Spirnt Windows version. You know what happns when you assume (*** u me) Thanks. Now can you please go to my other post about Deleting since I am stupid and cant figure it out.
    Sprint normally gets the newest Treo first because they helped Handspring with a lot of the R&D in the early Treo models. Apparently Verizon was able to strike a deal with Palm and Microsoft to get the first Windows-powered Treo. But most likely, Sprint will be first to market with the newest Palm-powered Treo, keeping that part of their tradition alive.

If all goes as rumored, look for Verizon to get the 700p in Q3-Q4, and Sprint to get the 700w in Q2-Q3

And I'll go look for that 'delete' thread.
    I'm back!
    i believe palm actually has a deal with the palmOS. i remember hearing something about a commitment to palmOS waaaaay back in the day when i had my Kyocera 6035.
    Quote Originally Posted by lovedatreo
    i believe palm actually has a deal with the palmOS. i remember hearing something about a commitment to palmOS waaaaay back in the day when i had my Kyocera 6035.
    Back then Palm and PalmSource (I assume you meant them when you said PalmOS) were the same company.

Now PalmSource is Access, and there's no more deal.
    I'm back!
    LOL

Hi jmill72x!

You ended up saying what I said !!

I also started with 'CURRENT THEORY' which denotes that it was speculation.

Cheers, Perry
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    LOL

Hi jmill72x!

You ended up saying what I said !!

I also started with 'CURRENT THEORY' which denotes that it was speculation.

Cheers, Perry
    I know, I realized that after my last couple of posts. I spread the same rumors as everyone else.

I just wanted him to know that outside of Verizon currently offering the 700w, everything else was just speculation.

So embarrassing.....
    I'm back!
    Hear Ya.

Silly Season has been sooooo long.

Cheers, Perry
    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    Back then Palm and PalmSource (I assume you meant them when you said PalmOS) were the same company.

Now PalmSource is Access, and there's no more deal.
    that doesn't mean sprint doesnt have a vested interest in the os as they have helped palm in the past with their R&D dollars. regardless of who owns the os. they helped kyocera, they helped samsung, they helped handspring, and now they help palm. in exchange, palm gives them exclusives on new PalmOS pda phones.

edit: check this google search for information about the alliance made in 2001 between palm and sprint http://www.google.com/search?q=palm+...-US:unofficial
    or this on palm.com http://www.palm.com/us/company/pr/2001/041101.html
    Quote Originally Posted by lovedatreo
    that doesn't mean sprint doesnt have a vested interest in the os as they have helped palm in the past with their R&D dollars. regardless of who owns the os. they helped kyocera, they helped samsung, they helped handspring, and now they help palm. in exchange, palm gives them exclusives on new PalmOS pda phones.

edit: check this google search for information about the alliance made in 2001 between palm and sprint http://www.google.com/search?q=palm+...-US:unofficial
    or this on palm.com http://www.palm.com/us/company/pr/2001/041101.html
    Yes, but in 2001, Palm was Palm hardware and the OS. That doesn't quite fit anymore, does it? PalmSource is now Access, and neither Palm nor Sprint were mentioned in Access' recent press release announcing the new AccessLinux OS.

I think it's safe to assume that those past allegiances are no longer true. If Palm isn't willing to rush to Access/PalmSource's side, then it's probably no more.
    Last edited by jmill72x; 03/02/2006 at 08:35 AM.
    I'm back!
    There 's a nice take on Palm's position on ALP from PalmSource's former Chief Competition Officer, Michael Mace IIRC.

I put it in the ALP which OS you want thread.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast