Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    pulling out the stopps.... looking for comments on + & - of both...
    Whats your oppinion on this? majority one way or another?
  2. Liv
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=108329

This thread may help a little bit, not sure if you have seen it or not.

This is from someone switching from Verizon to Sprint.
    Sprint = Customer Service Challenged by phone. (Stores are better.)
    Sprint = Cheap Unlimited Data at $10 ($360 savings for a year)
    (I can put up with #1, because of #2.)

You have to determine what the cell coverage is for where you frequent by both services. Cheap data is meaningless if you cannot access it.

Sprint had the best coverage for me in Grand Rapids. (I actually borrowed a phone from my Sprint store for a day and tested.)

Cheers, Perry.
  4. Liv
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Sprint has the best coverage for me everywhere.

I travel between these states constantly: Tennessee to Kentucky, Kentucky to Indiana, Tennessee to Kentucky to Indiana to Ohio, Kentucky to Tennesee to Texas, Texas to Missouri and RARELY lose signal. I am rarely roaming through these areas.

I love Sprint for that very reason. I feel completely safe with my cell phone coverage.
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    See I would have to say VZW. The downside of course is that the data is more expensive, but to be honest I have never had one problem with them or my service. Everytime I call I get plenty of assistance and my problem or question gets taken care of. No matter where I go I have no service issues at all. I do find that my VZW 650 is very stable compared with my GSM 650 I had, it was buggy all around but my VZW 650 is solid as a rock. The biggest thing for me is the consistance in the speed. I never run into anytime were it dips to a crawl or where it is super fast. It is always fast and reliable. I used to sell Sprint an VZW and though Sprint does sometimes have great prices on data and plans but I have had nothing but headaches dealing with customer care when I called in as a sales rep. Thats just my opinion. Hope I helped, even just a little
    sprint gets my vote.
    I travel to Ohio, Mich., Los Angeles and Wyoming and Montana. I've been 99% happy with the coverage. THe cost is much cheaper for me using sprint. The customer service...depending on the issue is fine. Technical matters..I go to this board regarding the phone or the web...service/bill issues..never had a problem with customer service. They've always corrected any issues.
  7.    #7  
    Thanks for the comments! all do help. I had sprint and never ran into an unsolved problem. The biggest headachs were billing for roaming which was wrong, and the contract kept auto extending for no reason...
    Im just not convinced it is worth the extra $$ for VZW.
    Thanks again! and hopefully more will comment!
  8. Liv
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Ew, I hate that about sprint. If you make one minor change to your plan they tack on another year. Add insurance? Add a year. Remove something? Hey lets add a year!

I always double check my contract wont be extended before making a change, and if I absolutely need the change, I talk to them about not adding the extra year. If your adament and nice about it, they will give in.
    I have VZW and am pretty happy with the customer service. More importantly, for my travel and work, the coverage is excellent. I live in MD, work in D.C. and travel to NY, Boston, SF, Southern Florida & LA. I rarely have coverage problems. Friends in the DC area often complain about Sprint coverage.
    First thing: Sprint Customer Services SUKS!!! I don't think they spend ANY time or effort in training their reps and most of them are "english challenged"... If you have to call about anything that is not JUST a cell phone, they have to read the instructions word for word from a manual.

Now, that being said... I wouldn't dream of changing from Sprint because they have excellent nation wide coverage and best of all, the BEST data plans of any company out there. So, if you can limit your time on the phone with their customer service, you will be very pleased with what they have to offer and pricing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Liv
    Ew, I hate that about sprint. If you make one minor change to your plan they tack on another year. Add insurance? Add a year. Remove something? Hey lets add a year!

I always double check my contract wont be extended before making a change, and if I absolutely need the change, I talk to them about not adding the extra year. If your adament and nice about it, they will give in.
    Strange, they've never done that to mine.... I've always had great luck with sprint, if the 700p is as disappointing as it looks it will, I'll be getting the 6700 through them
    PDA History

Treo 90 > Sony Clie SJ-20 > Tungsten E > HP Ipaq 4355 > Dell Axim X30 > Tungsten T|3 > Tungsten T|5 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Tungsten T|5 > Tungsten E|2 > Tungsten T|X > Blackberry 7250 > Treo 650 (Current)

Functional Palms
    Treo 650, T|X, and T|E2

Too Many Palms!!!
    I finally just got my Treo 650 last weekend, and I have had sprint for almost two years now. I spend most of my time during the year in NYC and Sprint is everywhere around here. I also spend a good amount of time in New Hampshire, where cell reception is ok to non-existent in some places. I have unlimited roaming with Sprint due to my heavy usage in NH, there is limited Sprint coverage in NH, as much of it up there is Verizon owned. I got Sprint originally because a bunch of people I knew had it, and it works amazingly well in NYC. Now that I have a Treo, I just added PCS Vision services for an additional $10 to my plan that I've had for almost two years now, so that was the best way to go for me. I also make an obscene amount of international calls (FROM the US TO other countries) from my cell phone and so I have rather high monthly payments anyway and didn't need anymore from data charges. I, like many, have had my fair share of dealing with Sprint customer service, plenty of random roaming charges that have had to be fixed, and other weird charges, but all of them have eventually been fixed, even if some have taken a few bills/calls. In my experience, if you are patient and polite, but stern with them, it has always worked out. Anyway, that has been my experience with Sprint and my newly acquired Treo.

~scrogers
    I've always had vzw and have NO problems. I live in NE metro boston area and coverage in this area is excellento. I dont see the big argument about the price. If you can afford a $600-$700 cell phone whats an extra $30/mo. (difference between sprint and vzw before i get corrected on this). I do have to agree with the stability of the vzw treo, seems the gsm ones had there share of issues but all the vzw people had to wait 10 months longer to have it so... 6 of one 1/2 dozen of another. but all in all i am very happy with vzw. (vzw has a much bigger evdo network which could be good for the next palm os treo)
    I was pondering the same thing you were about 2 weeks ago. I have been with verizon for about 4 years. I got the treo 650 through them and signed up for the unlimited data through them. My wife also got there vcast service which is the equivalent to power vision, except you don't get any free things, like one of the satellite radio channels. so with verizon I was paying 165$ a month plus tax for the same minutes and equivalent features through sprint I am paying 92$ a month minus a 20% corporate discount, roughly 75.00 a month plus taxes, so less than half the price every month. It was kind of a no brainer for me. Granted I have had a few more dropped calls than verizon, but nothing I cannot live with to save that much a month. The only thing I don't like is the fact that when I am at the ski resorts my text messaging or internet doesn't work because I am roaming, but like I said you just have to go with whatever matters most. As far as the customer service issue, in my opinion sprints Customer service is 100 times BETTER than verizon's. I have called 3 times in the last two weeks and everytime my issue's were solved in less than 10 minutes. The first one I even ported 2 numbers over after trying out the service. 10 minutes for 2 numbers is not bad at all. I also emailed ecare about some price plan questions and I got an email back within less than an hour on each one. Both of them also gave me the correct information and were very polite and professional. So in my situation I will stay with sprint and never go to another carrier.
    If you don't use data, then it gets easy....walk into a store that sells both and turn them on, check bars....ask the dude / dudette behind the counter hat most peeps buy in your area. What works in your area is primary consideration. If you are adata users, foirst read the "fine print" thread

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=106657

then think about whetehr you wanna spend $15 (Sprint) or $40 (verizon) a month on data. Then also think about who you are calling cause calsl to your own carrier are free......I have 7500 rollover minutes caused I didn't realize how many peeps I call are on CNG.

BTW, I use two phones, my backup is on Verizon as it has 2nd best coverage and in the rare instances I don't get signal on 1st phone, can usually egt call out on Verizon
    Last edited by JackNaylorPE; 03/02/2006 at 01:31 PM.
    Sprint all the way……you can’t beat the data plan and coverage is great, at least it is in Southern Ca. As for Customer Service, Perry is right, they are challenged by phone. Good luck.

Best Regards
    I was with Verizon for 10 years. Finally left because of their high data rates, huge overage fees, and the fact that they cripple Bluetooth. Have been totally happy with Sprint. CS in their stores leaves a lot to be desired, but phone CS support has been teriffic. I always make it a point to tell the phone CS rep. that their service is great and that their customer service is great as well. This seems to always make them willing to solve the problem that I'm calling about. The old saying that you catch more flies with honey than vinegar, seems to be true.
    iPhone on AT&T, Waiting for the Pre
    Reasons why I have been with Sprint since 1999 and no landline:

1. Coverage in the area where I live and normally travel. Price, Customer Service, neat phones...none of this matters if you can't talk when you want to.

2. They carry the Phone that I want and need. They carry the Treo...enough said.

3. Price. I have a good plan and lots of data for a decent price (compared to other carriers).

4. Customer Service. I really don't think about this too much these days. Customer service sucks almost everywhere. Cell phone, cable, computers...I can't begin to say just how many times I have called these places and I know more than the person in the end of the line.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    Quote Originally Posted by Coffeeman
    I was with Verizon for 10 years. Finally left because of their high data rates, huge overage fees, and the fact that they cripple Bluetooth. Have been totally happy with Sprint. CS in their stores leaves a lot to be desired, but phone CS support has been teriffic. I always make it a point to tell the phone CS rep. that their service is great and that their customer service is great as well. This seems to always make them willing to solve the problem that I'm calling about. The old saying that you catch more flies with honey than vinegar, seems to be true.
    Is bluetooth still screwed up on Verizon?

Hi,

I read your thread from last April on the fact that you left Verizon because they crippled BT... I just left Cingular... and joined Verizon with my 650... but I can't get my HBH300(sony ericcson) to pick up on outgoing calls..

.... running 1.04A on my VZW 650.. heard anything lately about this?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cash70
    Reasons why I have been with Sprint since 1999 and no landline:

1. Coverage in the area where I live and normally travel. Price, Customer Service, neat phones...none of this matters if you can't talk when you want to.

2. They carry the Phone that I want and need. They carry the Treo...enough said.

3. Price. I have a good plan and lots of data for a decent price (compared to other carriers).

4. Customer Service. I really don't think about this too much these days. Customer service sucks almost everywhere. Cell phone, cable, computers...I can't begin to say just how many times I have called these places and I know more than the person in the end of the line.
    I'm pretty much going with that

Same reasons for me. I also love the fact that it is a truly nationwide network (Verizon's isn't bad either) instead of worrying about roaming. My SideKick II is T-Mobile and the coverage sucks when I get out of Arizona, and I am usually roaming.

I have always preferred a CDMA network over a GSM network. Just my $.02.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast