Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. ike301's Avatar
    Posts
    424 Posts
    Global Posts
    474 Global Posts
       #1  
    So I have two batteries that I alternate from time to time. Typically, i have one in the base, then one in the radio.

    I would change them out day by day. But now, I have brought a power cord to work, meaning that i rarely alternate them, since I can charge at work.

    Is it ok for the spare battery to be sitting in the base cradle for maybe even sometimes 72 hours + straight?

    Does it damage it? Or when it turns green light, the power to it is shut off?
    Sprint Treo 755p (ex-650) user and loving it.
    1.04-SPNT
  2. #2  
    When charging the treo with a battery inside on the HOUSE charger the power is cut once the phone is charged. Most car chargers do not offer this feature and can "overcharge or cook" the battery if left on too long. Mall acc's are notorious for this. If you are using palm acc's you are probably good but beware of those aftermarket chargers.
  3. #3  
    Hi Ike!

    Do not know the answers -- my suspicion is that it would be okay to leave the battery in the charger -- as the charger SHOULD turn off when full charge is reached.

    SHOULD is the operative word here.

    To err on the conservative side -- I would remove the battery from charging when it hits green. These batteries are only supposed to lose 2-3% charge in "storage" a month. So, theoretically, your spare should only be down to 90% after 3 months. As I recall -- I did pop my spare in my Treo on my last business trip and it was at 80% after being in my coat pocket for 6 months. And that is with my coat sometimes staying in the car overnight in sub-freezing temps.

    Short answer: charge the spare -- put it in your pocket and recharge it once a year.

    Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 03/01/2006 at 10:07 AM.
  4. ike301's Avatar
    Posts
    424 Posts
    Global Posts
    474 Global Posts
       #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by td67mustang
    When charging the treo with a battery inside on the HOUSE charger the power is cut once the phone is charged. Most car chargers do not offer this feature and can "overcharge or cook" the battery if left on too long. Mall acc's are notorious for this. If you are using palm acc's you are probably good but beware of those aftermarket chargers.
    yes, it is palm's cradle that has the spare battery compartment. so i'm hearing that once it turns green on the cradle, power is cut off?
    Sprint Treo 755p (ex-650) user and loving it.
    1.04-SPNT
  5. ike301's Avatar
    Posts
    424 Posts
    Global Posts
    474 Global Posts
       #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    Hi Ike!

    Do not know the answers -- my suspicion is that it would be okay to leave the battery in the charger -- as the charger SHOULD turn off when full charge is reached.

    SHOULD is the operative word here.

    To err on the conservative side -- I would remove the battery from charging when it hits green. These batteries are only supposed to lose 2-3% charge in "storage" a month. So, theoretically, your spare should only be down to 90% after 3 months. As I recall -- I did pop my spare in my Treo on my last business trip and it was at 80% after being in my coat pocket for 6 months. And that is with my coat sometimes staying in the car overnight in sub-freezing temps.

    Short answer: charge the spare -- put it in your pocket and recharge it once a year.

    Cheers, Perry.
    That does makes sense. To just remove it - if it stays 80% or even close, that works. I can pop the drained on in to charge and use the 80% as needed. Good idea.
    Sprint Treo 755p (ex-650) user and loving it.
    1.04-SPNT
  6. #6  
    What about the sedio USB charging cradle? Same cut out?
  7. #7  
    You have to top-off the charge on spare Li-Ion batteries more often than once a year, or they will self-discharge, which can damage the battery if left discharged too long.

    You can't overcharge the battery inside a working Treo; it has a built-in battery charge controller which cuts out before overcharging.

    I wouldn't use any charging cradle which didn't have a built-in charge controller, because overcharged Li-Ion batteries can catch fire.
  8. #8  
    Lithium Ion Battery Care:

    http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm

    Cheers, Perry
  9. ike301's Avatar
    Posts
    424 Posts
    Global Posts
    474 Global Posts
       #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by logicpaw
    You have to top-off the charge on spare Li-Ion batteries more often than once a year, or they will self-discharge, which can damage the battery if left discharged too long.

    You can't overcharge the battery inside a working Treo; it has a built-in battery charge controller which cuts out before overcharging.

    I wouldn't use any charging cradle which didn't have a built-in charge controller, because overcharged Li-Ion batteries can catch fire.
    Does this have a built in charge controller?

    http://www.palm.com/us/products/acce...cablescradles/
    PalmŪ Cradle Kit (Multi Connector)

    http://www.palm.com/us/images/produc...les/3198WW.gif
    Sprint Treo 755p (ex-650) user and loving it.
    1.04-SPNT
  10. #10  
    My assumption (and we know what that spells) is yes, as it is from Palm. And you may not get an anymore definitive answer from their telephone sales personal. You might want to call Palm tech support for that answer.. . .

    Cheers, Perry.


    This knowledge base article only half answers the question:

    http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/W...tem,CASE=30928
    Last edited by gtwo; 03/03/2006 at 09:52 AM.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by logicpaw
    You can't overcharge the battery inside a working Treo; it has a built-in battery charge controller which cuts out before overcharging.
    So does this mean that if you leave your Treo in the palm car charger, the Treo's "buit-in battery charge controller" will prevent it from overcharging?

    Tks
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover

Posting Permissions