1.    #1  
    I have a 1 year old battery (which is not as good as it used to be) and a brand new 2200 mAH battery. I just charged my new one overnight, and it shows 100%. I thought I'd go ahead and keep using my old one for a while, since it still works somewhat. If I'm going to be out all day, I would like to pop the new one in for the increased capacity.

Are there any problems with switching batteries of different capacities? I've read in the past that the Treo has to "learn" the battery.

Mods: This question is not really about the batteries, but about the Treo and how it reacts to them. That is why I did not post in the Accessories forum.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    I have not had a problem with switching batteries. When I got my 2200MAH I had to cycle it completely 4 or 5 times before it would hold a charge for a full day. After the "cycling" it definetly lasts longer than the stock battery.
    I have some concerns here. The instructions that came with my 2200mAh battery from Lion Battery said to do the 3-5 full charge/discharge cycles to fully set the battery's chemistry for full power. Then to keep it topped off as often as possible for longevity purposes.

However -- the instructions also said to fully charge the new battery IN THE TREO for 12 hours to make sure the new battery and the Treo were in sync. This gives me the concern about swapping batteries of different reserves.

I would use the new battery soley and just keep the other as the spare.

Another side note -- I had 3 hours to kill in an airport recently and my Treo was down to 30%. While I did have my spare with me -- I decided to buy and test ($9) one of these 1 hour talk time power boosters that I happened across in one of the concourse stores. If 6 hour = total talk time, then 1 hour should be about 17 points of battery charge. Sure enough -- the Treo ticked up to 47%. But then the strange thing happened -- the charge light went green and my Treo was stuck on 47%. I popped my spare in -- same thing -- 47% even though the spare should have read 90 to 100%. A soft reset had no effect.

When I got home -- I did a hard reset, restore -- and a full cradle charge for 12 hours with the 2200 mAh in the Treo and things were all well again in TreoLand.

So - there is a battery charging circuitry in the Treo that does measure charge -- and it can be messed with. Thus, my recommendation to stick with the 2200 mAh and the original only as a spare.

As well -- only use those one hour power boosting thingies in an absolute emergency.

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 03/01/2006 at 11:57 AM.
  4.    #4  
    Is there any possible way to get a word from Palm on this? Their site says all my support will have to come from Cingular, which I know will be futile.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Global Posts
    577 Global Posts
    ^ Hmm... That's strange. I have two Palm-branded Treo batteries, one I use during the week and the other I end up using on the weekend (I can only get about a day and a half charge out of one battery). I don't change my phone over the weekend, so I usually end using my spare battery. I also alternate between batteries from week to week.

All that to say, I have never noticed a difference in battery life between them. Perhaps the problems mentioned above stem from using two different kinds of batteries with the Treo.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by spiVeyx
    ^ Hmm... That's strange. I have two Palm-branded Treo batteries, one I use during the week and the other I end up using on the weekend (I can only get about a day and a half charge out of one battery). I don't change my phone over the weekend, so I usually end using my spare battery. I also alternate between batteries from week to week.

All that to say, I have never noticed a difference in battery life between them. Perhaps the problems mentioned above stem from using two different kinds of batteries with the Treo.
    I did not mean to indicate that there had been a problem. I am just concerned that if I switch two very different batteries (one old 1800 mAH and one new 2200 mAH) that there might be problems. I haven't started switching them yet. I am going to use the 2200 for a week or so to give it a few cycles. Then I might switch back to the 1800 and use it on a day to day basis, unless I am planning to be out all day (away from a charger).

Just FYI, the new one looks like it will last 2 days, whereas the old one wouldn't last a day. Those are my initial impressions.

I guess I'm out of the loop on this. Where are you getting a 2200mAH one? Is this the Seido one or a new Palm one?
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    I guess I'm out of the loop on this. Where are you getting a 2200mAH one? Is this the Seido one or a new Palm one?
    Lion Battery came out with a 2200mAh 8 months ago. Seidio did have a 2200mAh, and has now moved up to a 2400 mAh.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...t=lion+battery

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...t=lion+battery

Cheers, Perry
    Wow, I completely missed these. Thanks I'm going to have get one!
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Li-Ion batteries self-discharge over time and last the longest when nearly fully charged. So you have to pop-in any spare batteries from time-to-time and top-off their charge. I kept one spare Li-Ion battery for an older laptop in a drawer and let it fully dischage; when I went to check it a year later, it was completely dead and unrechargeable.
    Lithium Ion battery care:

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm

Cheers, Perry.