1.    #1  
    Hello all,
    I've been lurking here for a while now, and finally decided to actually join. I got my 650 in mid-December, 2005. It was working fine, and I was pleased.

One day, I was speaking to a buddy of mine, and his significant other has a Treo 650 as well. He asked me if I was getting any issues with the phone randomly restarting/rebooting...and if I was, I should go to Palm's website to download the latest update, as it would cure the problem. Well I figured I'd download it, just to prevent any problems.

As my luck had it, It started to do the restart/reboot deal AFTER I downloaded the latest update XXX1.17 It didnt do it often, so it was really not a big deal.

As of late, it's been doing it more and more. So I searched here for solutions. I read on numerous occasions about it possibly being related to the Sim card holder not making a good connection..blah blah blah...I tried the prescribed "fix"....which still yielded the same results. And I really dont have many 3rd party apps that triggered this problem at time of their installation. I only have Madden '06, and the Palm/Tom-Tom GPS. It got bad...to the point where the phone would reboot everytime it was awaken from sleep mode, regardless if it was from an incoming call/text message, or me pushing a button.

I called Cingular last week, and explained the problem. The rep told me about the SIM card connection...make sure its clean...yaddi yadda...and he was supposedly gonna send me some update to my phone. He told me to call back if the problems persisted.

The problems persisted SO I called back 1 week later, and they are sending me a new phone.

SInce the day they agreed to send me a new phone, it has been functioning flawlessly....Go figure!
    Hi Mad Cartographe!!

You may have had 3rd party software corruption, which requires a clean install to cure.

If you just hotsync your new Treo to your existing userid -- that corruption will then be transfered to your new Treo via the Hotsync process and could start causing you problems there.

I would do this:

When you get your new Treo 650: (Or you could do it with your old Treo just to see if that was truly the problem.)

Do a last hotsync on your old 650, as a final back up.
    Rename your backup folder on the PC to backupold.
    (Programs>Palm>youruserid>backup . . . . . to backupold)
    This folder saves your installed 3rd party software. Renaming it takes it out of the hotsync restore loop.
    Sync your new 650 to your old 650's userid.
    You will have all your PIM data back.
    (Contacts, Appointments, Tasks, Memos)

Now install all of your 3rd party software fresh onto the new Treo -- NOT FROM A BACKUP -- that may contain the corruption. Get the latest version updates of your 3rd party software while you are at it.

This should give you a trouble free Treo.

Enjoy!

Cheers, Perry
    Last edited by gtwo; 03/01/2006 at 06:12 AM.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the tips. I'll give that a try. I was gonna ask about how I should go about the changeover. I found a similar thread that was started recently. I'll be sure to follow your steps though!

*I need to get rid of the underscore so I can fit the last "r" on my username LOL*
    Hey Mad Cartographer!

Given that you are moving to a new device -- some third party software may require you to get a new registration code. Some use your userid -- so that will not change and will be okay. Some use the device id -- which you will need to supply them before they can send you the new registration code. All depends on the software and how they have it configured.

Cheers, Perry.
  5.    #5  
    alright...thanks. The only 3rd Party App I plan on using is the Palm/Tom Tom GPS program. I rarely play Madden '06 as it is...so it shouldn't be too much of an ordeal for this transfer!

Despite the recent problems...I love this phone
    It has been my best (user satisfaction) PDA thus far!
  7.    #7  
    I realized something new was needed when I found myself with numerous post-its in my wallet LOL
    I was using a Franklin Planner notebook system in '96 (how to meeting and yearly page refills provided by the company I was with).

But I was sooooooooo tired of re-writing changed meeting times, notes and agendas in my planner (or referencing pages 2 months back) that when the Palm Pilot hit the street -- I was there --- $400 in hand and I have never looked back.

I miss that little green glow -- but look how much more we get for the same $400 now! I do not miss trying to replace the 2? AA batteries in the allotted time frame (30 seconds?) before the memory would be lost. . . . .

Cheers, Perry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    I miss that little green glow -- but look how much more we get for the same $400 now! I do not miss trying to replace the 2? AA batteries in the allotted time frame (30 seconds?) before the memory would be lost. . . . .

Cheers, Perry.
    Triple A's Perry, they used AAA batteries.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Hence the question mark on the 2, I knew I wasn't quite hitting the mark on the facts.

30 days of service, as well !!

Well, more like two weeks and we weren't dialing up the Internet, E-Mail and phone calls either. (Heck, I may still have some Triple A's knocking around in the back of my desk -- never knew when you might need the spares!)
    Quote Originally Posted by mad_cartographe
    alright...thanks. The only 3rd Party App I plan on using is the Palm/Tom Tom GPS program. I rarely play Madden '06 as it is...so it shouldn't be too much of an ordeal for this transfer!

Despite the recent problems...I love this phone
    TomTom is device specific. But, if you have not used a second code, you will be able to activate it on your new device. If you have already activated it twice, you will have to contact them to get another code. I was able to get it done with this phone number: 978-287-9555
  12.    #12  
    Well, my new unit arrived yesterday. I followed the tips prescribed and this thread, and everything went well. I had trouble getting the phone to HotSync, but I searched the board here and found the usb connector remedy. It all worked fine afterwards.

JohnH59, I was able to install the GPS unit without any issues. I just used the same product/device/activation codes from the original install, Thanks!!

I never realized how out of whack my original phone was. On vibrate mode, it made and obnoxiously loud rattle while vibrating...serving no real use for function in meetings. This one vibrates silently, as it should!!
    Great!

LOL -- I now automatically add the R.

Cheers, Perry.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59
    TomTom is device specific. But, if you have not used a second code, you will be able to activate it on your new device. If you have already activated it twice, you will have to contact them to get another code. I was able to get it done with this phone number: 978-287-9555
    I think it is SD card specific.....at least that is what TT told me.