1.    #1  
    Been a Treo user for over 4 years now but never became very savvy with it.

I have had NOTHING but problems with my 650 and hot syncing. It used to hang on some of my snappermail files for some reason last year and things have been getting worse. I used to be able to get it to hot sync one time per uninstall/reinstall of the software. Every time I wanted to hot sync, I'd have to uninstall and reinstall. It became so bothersome I stopped back in October.

Now I need to turn in my phone tomorrow afternoon at the PCS store for my warranty replacement (P key not working correctly). I have spent my entire night uninstalling, reinstalling, reading various trouble shooting messages and reading a variety of posts here on this board and not getting anywhere. The message I keep getting when pressing the hot sync button actually gets a rise out of my computer is "USB Device Not Recognized - One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it."

I have a 1GB memory card (actually I have two but can only use one at one time. I put my blank one in so it's ready to rock. How can I very simply transfer my most important information and apps (memo, contacts, calendar, snappermail, verichat) over? Remember I cannot even do a hot sync whatsoever at this point so I can't install something like backupbuddy on it to do this for me.

Remember, I'm not very tech-savvy. Uninstalling and reinstalling my palm software is as advanced as I ever get.

Sometimes when I hit Hot Sync, the computer will wake up and say "New Softwar... Holy beejesus, it just started hot syncing... Now my treo is givng me a low memory error.. "Please delete some data and try Hotsync again"

I tell you, this thing is the devil. Well, I deleted all of my emails and a bunch of pictures on the internal memory... Now it's giving me error message #1 again of "device not recongized - one of the usb devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned..."

I give up. How can I make the transition as easy and painless as possible?

Many thanks,

Paul
    Have you tried to install an Back-up App from the Card or Download on Treo?
    Just call me Berd.
    If you can get your email, then you can download an App to your Treo from Mytreo.net.
    Another Option is to Download the App w/ your computer, On the SD Card you should have a folder named "Palm" and in that folder one named "Launcher" Put the *.prc file in in that "Launcher folder, put the Card in treo and the App should be there to Launch.
    Just call me Berd.
    Resco backup works great... and you can try it for 14 days for free. I have never had a problem with it and my Treo backs up automatically every night.
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
    BackupBuddyVFS hands down ...one of the the best apps for the palm ever created.
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ashworth102680
    BackupBuddyVFS hands down ...one of the the best apps for the palm ever created.
    tru that!
    So point your Treo browser to a website with the backup software you want. Download that software directly onto your Treo and install. Run a full backup of your Treo onto your SD card. There, you're good to go. Shouldn't take more than an hour including the backup. Maybe only a half hour.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blesum
    Been a Treo user for over 4 years now but never became very savvy with it.

I have had NOTHING but problems with my 650 and hot syncing. It used to hang on some of my snappermail files for some reason last year and things have been getting worse. I used to be able to get it to hot sync one time per uninstall/reinstall of the software. Every time I wanted to hot sync, I'd have to uninstall and reinstall. It became so bothersome I stopped back in October.

Now I need to turn in my phone tomorrow afternoon at the PCS store for my warranty replacement (P key not working correctly). I have spent my entire night uninstalling, reinstalling, reading various trouble shooting messages and reading a variety of posts here on this board and not getting anywhere. The message I keep getting when pressing the hot sync button actually gets a rise out of my computer is "USB Device Not Recognized - One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it."

I have a 1GB memory card (actually I have two but can only use one at one time. I put my blank one in so it's ready to rock. How can I very simply transfer my most important information and apps (memo, contacts, calendar, snappermail, verichat) over? Remember I cannot even do a hot sync whatsoever at this point so I can't install something like backupbuddy on it to do this for me.

Remember, I'm not very tech-savvy. Uninstalling and reinstalling my palm software is as advanced as I ever get.

Sometimes when I hit Hot Sync, the computer will wake up and say "New Softwar... Holy beejesus, it just started hot syncing... Now my treo is givng me a low memory error.. "Please delete some data and try Hotsync again"

I tell you, this thing is the devil. Well, I deleted all of my emails and a bunch of pictures on the internal memory... Now it's giving me error message #1 again of "device not recongized - one of the usb devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned..."

I give up. How can I make the transition as easy and painless as possible?

Many thanks,

Paul
    Paul,

I had the same problem with a brand NEW treo 650 out of the box and struggled with it for hours. I did some research here and found that the problem lay in part with the connector/phone interface. If you look carefully at the USB cable you will see that there are several copper looking pins sticking out that are actually a loop of metal. One post here suggested putting a paper clip or pin gently into the loop and very gently expanding the loop outward. In a fit of frustration before taking my new phone back I decided to try this and it worked. You have nothing else to loose as I did and I would try it. Here is the url for the good pictures of what to do. Most of the pictures are on page 3 of the below post:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...=USB+connector

Lots of luck and I hope that this helps.

Regards,

Jim
  9.    #9  
    Thank you all for the great suggestions. I looked at my cable this morning and noted that one of the loops (the one being expanded in the picture in the thread that Jim posted) is very flat and barely sticking out. That could be the problem here.

I'm going to take it in with me today and ask to have it exchanged along with my old Treo.

Last night as I checked my emails before going to bed, I kept pressing the hot sync button at random, getting a variety of errors until one hotsync actually got through and performed FLAWLESSLY. I just about fell out of my chair. Problem solved for today at least.

I'm bookmarking this page so the next time I need to hotsync, I can look this up again because I'm sure to have problems again.

-Paul
    Now go get BackupBuddy (or Resco), and start using it.

You really need a secondary backup option.
    Just call me Berd.