1.    #1  
    ok, I've been reading in that huge thread about the custom ROM beta tool

sounds enticing

but...

what "if"

you know?

I'm w/ sprint - what if they refuse to help me ever again?

can I ever get another update?

but then again - sure would be great to lose some of that dead weight!

is this correct - you can basically "uninstall" the OEM apps that you don't want/need? is there a list of critical/necessary files that are req'd for operation?

and - what's the advantage of loading 3rd party apps into ROM? can't they be run from an SD card (is an SD card just as fast?)

wow - a LOT of questions

:-)
    "I am Scorch
    ...and i approve this message!"
    TechProsSD - Computer Repair San Diego
    If you go back to that New RomTool (beta) Thread (First Post)
    Read the attached links.
    Both Matts and James (in his pdf instructions)
    Most of you questions are answered.
    Just call me Berd.
    You will still be able to get future updates, If you Just customize the Rom Your running now, When an Update comes out, it will just Run right over your Custom.

You Do Void your Warrenty.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle
    You will still be able to get future updates, If you Just customize the Rom Your running now, When an Update comes out, it will just Run right over your Custom.

You Do Void your Warrenty.
    How would they know if you just do a zero out reset and then run the most recent updater?
    they wont, so its a pretty moot point. customize away thats what i always say. carriers have (in the past) been pretty dumb to these phones anyway. course that has started to change, the most often seen phone clipped to any sprint store employees belt seems to be a 650 now.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronin17
    How would they know if you just do a zero out reset and then run the most recent updater?
    I did not know how fragile mega's conscience was.
    Just call me Berd.
    The first thing you have to do when you start using this tool: DOWNLOAD AND BACKUP YOUR CURRENT ROM.

This way, no matter what you do, you should be able to restore the original ROM, then be able to upgrade your Treo or ask your carrier for help.

stipus
  8.    #8  
    sorry - I'm reading these boards from my treo - and reading pdf's are a problem at this point...

is running apps from the SD card "just as fast"?
    "I am Scorch
    ...and i approve this message!"
    TechProsSD - Computer Repair San Diego
    Megaphone,

It's my opinion (and you know how those go) if you're not comfortable with something, you shouldn't do it. If you don't feel comfortable with a custom ROM, use the released one.

Personally I'm still on the old 1.28 rom because I'm not comfortable with the issues I've heard with the 1.70 (1.71?) rom, released or not. My Treo is finally working very well, I'm not yet in the mood for figuring out new problems with it
    Am I correct in that Verizon is more difficult or at least not as friendly to hack? were sprint is better?

I chaged from sprint to vzw and am thinking I should go back.......
    comments, help plez.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mux11
    Am I correct in that Verizon is more difficult or at least not as friendly to hack? were sprint is better?

I chaged from sprint to vzw and am thinking I should go back.......
    comments, help plez.

I have had no problems with VZW and custom ROMs.

Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle
    I did not know how fragile mega's conscience was.
    understood, and I agree it needs to be said, If your phone dies on a business trip what if the local store wont help you because the tech hard resets the device and realizes that there are programs locked into your rom.

I was actually curious my self if there was anyway they could tell if i reloaded the original updater before going to the store.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronin17
    I have had no problems with VZW and custom ROMs.

understood, and I agree it needs to be said, If your phone dies on a business trip what if the local store wont help you because the tech hard resets the device and realizes that there are programs locked into your rom.

I was actually curious my self if there was anyway they could tell if i reloaded the original updater before going to the store.
    So, 'Here's your story and your Sticking to it'
    "You were having probs w/ your phone, u thought u would try re-loading the Updater again to see if that would fix the prob."
    Just call me Berd.
    My option is if you are too scared to flash custom rom, don't do it.

It's not like you have a 4gb sd card anyway.
    Dude, right there with you. I got the cingular rom from that long thread that is supposed to have the fat32. Read everyhting, was assured I have it right. Still I am too nervous to give it a shot. Everything I read has at least something I don't really inderstand, and while it doesn't usually seem important to understand whatever I don't, that fact keeps me from giving it a shot.

I am also worried about warranty.
    dont worry, its only like a $600 phone, right?
    I have flashed ROMs both through ROM updaters and through the utilities listed in the threads. It isn't terribly difficult, but you do risk 'bricking' your Treo if you mess up. If you are worried about it, and doubt your technical skills, just stick with the official versions.

Of course you'll miss all the full of the infinite reset loops, but what the hey ;-)
    Bricked my phone with the new ROMtool. Took about 5 minutes to recover it. . . I learned the value of backups long ago.

First thing is to back up your Treo via hotsync and/or backup program, then back up your ROM first thing when you start the ROMtool.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Do you know what you did to "Brick" your phone?
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS