1.    #1  
    I'm going to be starting a service where a timely response to prospects' emails will be key

so, imap seems to be a good idea

I googled for "free imap server" - there's a lot to choose from

anyone here w/ experience w/ imap and the treo?

(I'm looking @ chatter, too)
    "I am Scorch
    ...and i approve this message!"
    TechProsSD - Computer Repair San Diego
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Zimbra reportedly supports push email when used with Chatter on a Treo
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    dovecot supports the idle command, which is essentially what you will be wanting to use to emulate the "push" technology.

http://dovecot.org/ for more information.

It is opensourced and quite secure.

I know of many universities that use it in environments of at least 15,000 users.
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    I think the new AIM mail gives you IMAP access and like 2gigs of storage. I use AOL now with Chatter and it works great! Updates real fast! Check out the AIM mail, like I said I know its free and I believe it does IMAP
    Yes AIM is good. I actually have my Yahoo and google mails forwarded to their own corresponding AIM accounts...Works well with Chatteremail
    Global Posts
    577 Global Posts
    ^ I used fusemail for quite a while until I purchased dedicated hosting for my domains providing me with IMAP email access.
    I've been happy with www.fastmail.fm. Instant push email with Chatter works great!
  8.    #8  
    thx for the input guys!

:-)
    "I am Scorch
    ...and i approve this message!"
    TechProsSD - Computer Repair San Diego
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    everyone.net is good if you decide to pay for something that is "key".
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    Quote Originally Posted by ericshmerick
    I've been happy with www.fastmail.fm. Instant push email with Chatter works great!
    I've tried several options and this seems to be your best bet. Fastmail is very good with push and Chatter is, BY FAR, the best email client for the Treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Predator-1
    I've tried several options and this seems to be your best bet. Fastmail is very good with push and Chatter is, BY FAR, the best email client for the Treo.
    Another vote here for fastmail.fm and chatter.

I havent any problems using there service. I also upgraded to the $19.99 a year plan. (more server space/more bandwidth for traffic)

Chatter mail is really great. I can't think of a better option for IMAP and the treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by josholson
    dovecot supports the idle command, which is essentially what you will be wanting to use to emulate the "push" technology.

http://dovecot.org/ for more information.

It is opensourced and quite secure.

I know of many universities that use it in environments of at least 15,000 users.
    Slick, somehow I missed this. I'm using uw-imap with a maildir patch. I think I'll move to dovecot. Thanks for sharing. I'm only allowing IMAP-SSL on my server via the use of stunnel.
    Quote Originally Posted by ericshmerick
    I second that
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    Both fastmail and AOL are good, I went with AOL because my wife has an account with them.
    http://www.hostdepartment.com/

I pay $5 a month, works great with Chatter and they host multiple domains for that price.

I have been with them for 3 years plus, I highly recommend them.
    Global Posts
    637 Global Posts
    I just started using IMAP - and like AIM best.