Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    The data is just too much on VZW..
    anyone of you has experience in dealing with the 175 termination fee from VZW. is there any way of avoiding it? (I still have 15 months left on my VZW contract..).
    I would save about $30/month for data.. so X 15 months = more than $175

how does everyone like sprint? are the calls rather clear? (I live in socal)
    Sprint Coverage in Grand Rapids, MI is good.
    Hey, Insertion, hows the coverage out there in Southern California?
    (All provider's coverages vary by city and even within a city -- I actually borrowed a "house phone" form my future Sprint store for two days before I made the switch.)

Sprint's bureaucracy is customer service challenged, but politeness and persistence has always gotten me where I wanted to go. I have found my particular store personnel to be helpful and well informed, but that can also vary like coverage, by city and store.

I left Cingular for Sprint's data price and Sprint had better coverage in my travel path around town than Cingular, so it was a no brainer in that regard. When I switched from Cingular, I only had 4 months left on one line of a 4 line family plan -- so I just let the one line and associated taxes go unused until I could cancel it without fee.

Good Luck.
    Last edited by gtwo; 02/28/2006 at 01:05 PM.
    OPTION: Sublease your plan:
    "Get out" people with hot phones seem to fare the best.
    "If you are offering a Razr or Treo, you get out in one or two days,"
    Via: www.celltradeusa.com

OPTION: Call and say you'll be moving to an area with no coverage, which you can find via the coverage maps on the carrier's site.

Anyway, my Sprint coverage over here in NYC and in many other places I've been to has been exceptional. Rivals VZW (which I also have). YMMV, of course.

Also, never sign a two year lease.
    My Freebie Java Widgets (Compatible with 650, 680, 700p & 755p)
    HourlyXCast - Hourly & 7 Day Forecasts! Weather Graphics, Radar Images & Alerts. "When 'PM Showers' just doesn't cut it"
    - RottenTomatoMeter - Movie Ratings, Reviews, Showtimes for New Movies & DVDs
    - TV2Nite - Calendar Events for your Favorite TV Shows!
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by g-funkster
    So absolutely true. It's not worth saving the extra $100 - $150 in my opinion.
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    does this really work, is it secure. anyone used it already?
    If this option forces me to give up on my phone (do I transfer the phone with the plan or only the plan?) I think i d rather sell the treo for 300-350 and pay the 175 early fee...

how do you do it? 1 year only? or are contracts not mandatory?
    Quote Originally Posted by katone
    does this really work, is it secure. anyone used it already?
    If this option forces me to give up on my phone (do I transfer the phone with the plan or only the plan?) I think i d rather sell the treo for 300-350 and pay the 175 early fee...
    Haven't tried it myself, i've just read news articles about it. I thought you'd mention the second option, that's actually a verified way out of a contract. make a call, it doesn't hurt. I would also prefer to ebay the phone.

how do you do it? 1 year only? or are contracts not mandatory?
    Contracts are usually mandatory, but you can ask for the 1 year ones. Just do so when you're signing up, they all offer them. It just costs you more up front (like VZW will not charge activation if it's two year, but will if you sign 1 year), and your phone will probably cost more. You decide what's more important, though. For me, it's all about the flex. With carriers now getting so many more exclusives (think 700w, motorola Q), there's no way I'll sign up for two years with anyone.
    Last edited by g-funkster; 02/28/2006 at 02:31 PM.
    My Freebie Java Widgets (Compatible with 650, 680, 700p & 755p)
    HourlyXCast - Hourly & 7 Day Forecasts! Weather Graphics, Radar Images & Alerts. "When 'PM Showers' just doesn't cut it"
    - RottenTomatoMeter - Movie Ratings, Reviews, Showtimes for New Movies & DVDs
    - TV2Nite - Calendar Events for your Favorite TV Shows!
    It is definitely a cost benefit risk analysis. . .

Savings by signing 2 year = $xxx
    Risk = $175 contract canelation fee.

If the savings are more than $175 . . . . . .
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    staying with VZW would cost me $640 in data only, over the next 16months (not 14..) remaining on my contract.
    switching to sprint would save me $480 on data cost over the same period. substract the $175 early fee that s about $300, which represent what I would be saving over the 16months..
    is that a no brainer or what?

ps:is cingular $79/moth for unlimited data or did I read it wrong on their website??
    Last edited by katone; 02/28/2006 at 03:06 PM.
    $39 for a Treo

The $79 must be for tethering a laptop to Treo or for one of those laptop 'air cards.'
    I switched to sprint from verizon when the 650 first came out,imho it's really worth it. I live in the chicago area and have no problems with at all,i would rate verizon as having better customer service, but the money I save on data makes up for that many times over.
    !! uNo.....DoS.....tReO!!

http://www.myspace.com/ljj8503
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    Sprint Coverage in Grand Rapids, MI is good.
    Hey, Insertion, hows the coverage out there in Southern California?
    Coverage is fine for me. When I had Verizon, I often got no signal, or roaming in my living room. Sprint has 4 bars. But there are some places Sprint won't pull in that VZW did. I live up against the foothills and a mountain range, so coverage can get spotty, no matter who the carrier (T-Mobile, for instance flat out sucks right here.) But all in all, I can't complain.

Also for katone, if at all possible, make friends with a Sprint rep real quick and take advantage of the SERO plan. It's a discounted Fair and Flex plan. I get 500 minutes anytime, (plus unlimited nights and weekends), unlimited Vision, mobile to mobile, and no roaming charges for $30/mo.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    I live in Texas but travel to SoCal a few times a year. Never had issues, even around 5P. This is around the Passedena, LAX, out to Corona areas. Down to La Jolla every 2nd or 3rd trip. Data and Voice always good. But, I would think most carriers are about the same these days in large metro areas with plenty of coverage.
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Also for katone, if at all possible, make friends with a Sprint rep real quick and take advantage of the SERO plan. It's a discounted Fair and Flex plan. I get 500 minutes anytime, (plus unlimited nights and weekends), unlimited Vision, mobile to mobile, and no roaming charges for $30/mo.
    wait.. I know YOU right?
    I've known ppl to get out froM under vzw by saying the svc in their home just is unacceptable

just say you're working out of your house now

or you changed jobs and there's no svc there

just don't accept no for an answer...
    "I am Scorch
    ...and i approve this message!"
    TechProsSD - Computer Repair San Diego
    wait.. I know YOU right?
    It's an Employee Referal offer. I don't work for Sprint.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    I got out of a Verizon contract because my job moved me to a town where there were no local Verizon numbers. My boss wrote a letter stating that I had been moved, I faxed it in, a billing cycle passed, and I was credited the termination fee.

I had a Kyo 7135 on VZW, and each month, I had to call and complain and have data charges removed, because I signed up for MOU when I signed the contract, but they still kept trying to charge me a few bucks a month. I could never justify an expensive VZW data plan.

When I got my Sprint Treo 650, they gave me unlimited data for a measley $7.00 a month, and I love it. No more worring about minutes or false data charges. No more going online and thinking about the argument it was going to cause me later in the month.

The only thing was that i got a stern warning about NEVER using my Treo as a modem for my laptop, because that is billed at a different rate.

No coverage problems, not as good as Verizon, but not bad at all, and I live in the mountains.
    Quote Originally Posted by josholson
    So absolutely true. It's not worth saving the extra $100 - $150 in my opinion.
    However you can't get the fair and flexible plan on Sprint without a two year contract. Even if you aren't taking a phone from them.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    I was with Sprint... moved to vzw by the owner who wanted service at his two houses... now Im thinking Sprint had better coverage.
    The ala cart menu is a PIA! with vzw where it was all inclusive with sprint.
    dunno what to do.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by driven01
    However you can't get the fair and flexible plan on Sprint without a two year contract. Even if you aren't taking a phone from them.
    That's not very fair or flexible now is it!
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    It's an Employee Referal offer. I don't work for Sprint.
    I was kidding, thanks tho!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast