Page 1 of 21 12345611 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Now that A2DP audio from the Treo to a stereo BT headset is finally a reality thanks to the SAG, it's time to go shopping for a stereo headset. Let's meet our contestants. From the SAG site:

"Currently we have tested our Bluetooth Audio Gateway with:
    * Plantronics Pulsar 590A Headset
    * Bluetake i-Phone BT420EX Bluetooth Hi-Fi Sports Headphone
    * iPAQ Bluetooth Stereo Headphones (made by Logitech)
    * Bluetake A2DP enable PC dongle
    * Samsung SBH-100 Stereo Headset
    * +TEN naviPlay™ (Bluetooth Wireless Stereo Headset for iPod™)"

From the A2DP thread I know there are at least a couple of you who have used these headsets. Can you give a short review (sound quality, range, comfort, looks, etc.). Any other headsets worth adding to the list? So here are the initial contenders:

1. Plantronics Pulsar 590A
    2. Bluetake i-PHONO BT420EX
    3. Logitech
    4. Motorola HT820 (compatibility not yet confirmed by SAG).
    5. Creative Labs CB2530 (compatibility not yet confirmed by SAG)
    6. Iogear (compatibility not yet confirmed by SAG)
    7. naviPlay by +Ten
    8. Bluetake BT450RX (compatibility not yet tested)
    9. SonyEricsson HBH-DS970 (compatible per eHosey2 and Conrad)
    10. Jabra BT620 (compatibility not yet confirmed by SAG)
    11. AirCable HiFi (compatibility not yet confirmed by SAG)
    12. iTech (S38, R35 and BluePro) (compatibility not yet confirmed by SAG)
    13. Sonorix (compatibility not yet confirmed by SAG)
    14. Globalsat BTH-820 (compatibility not yet confirmed by SAG)
    15. Nokia HS-12W (now shipping, compatibility not yet confirmed)
    16. Bluewalker BW-MP02 (compatibility not yet confirmed by SAG)
    17. Motorola Talk & Tunes Calling Kit (includes Skype for PC, not yet released)
    18. Samsung SBH-100
    19. Koss Cobalt (compatibility not yet confirmed by SAG)
    20. Sony DR-BT30Q http://www.sony.ie/view/ShowProduct....nd+Accessories (not yet released)
    Last edited by Ree Nigne; 09/25/2006 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Update Smackdown List
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    I'll second that question.

I just purchased the Motorola HT820's, but as an eyeglass wearer, I find them uncomfortable. (Back to Radio Shack they go.) It looks like most of the BT headphones are the behind the neck kind, that can cause some agony for people who wear eyeglasss. (Geting Lasik for the sake of my Treo seems a bit excessive...)

I read a bit about the Creative CD2530's but they don't have a microphone. Which may not be a deal breaker, since you can probably just hold the Treo up to your mouth to talk, while listening through the Creative headphones.

Here's a breakdown of the weight of some BT headphones:

Anycom BSH-100: 2.68 oz
    Iogear: 3.4 oz
    Motorala HT820, 3.5 oz
    I saw the Plantronics set in my local CompUSA today for $179.99 seemed steep until I saw their suggested retail as $249. OUCH!! These look like the best to me.
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    I really like the Logitech headphones for the ipod. The range is amazing, I couldn't believe it. And just a heads up, if you live by a Compusa, they are having a deal, $99 and comes with a $50 dollar rebate.
    when you say range do you mean sound range or do you mean range in distance from the unit?
    There is no spoon.
  6.    #6  
    The Plantronics are expensive and have a little too much of the "Mission Control" look for me.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Hdhntr23
    when you say range do you mean sound range or do you mean range in distance from the unit?
    I meant range in distance from the unit (before the cracks and pops come in). But sound range is a good question as well, particularly since SAG claims very high sound quality.
    IoGear works and are going for $75 on Amazon. Also availble locally at Fry's Electronics.
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
    Quote Originally Posted by nonobeez
    IoGear works and are going for $75 on Amazon. Also availble locally at Fry's Electronics.

Which are these?
    I am not happy with my BT420EX.

It is fine for audio (with it's dongle or with SAG). However, it's performance as handsfree headset is very inconsistant. It takes many attempts by pressing the button on it to transfer the call to the headset. I cannot ansewr the call at the headset either. I have to answer the call on the Treo.

BT420 was one of the first product of it's type. I bet the newer BT headsets are better. I also happen to dislike the "band behind the neck" design. I cannot lie down or rest my head on auto or airplane headrest. I prefer the designs where each earpiece loops around each ear independent of the other (no band connecting them).
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Quote Originally Posted by Ree Nigne
    Now that A2DP audio from the Treo to a stereo BT headset is finally a reality thanks to the SAG, it's time to go shopping for a stereo headset. Let's meet our contestants. From the SAG site:

"Softick Bluetooth Audio Gateway has been tested with the following :
    * Plantronics Pulsar 590A Headset
    * Bluetake i-Phone BT420EX Bluetooth Hi-Fi Sports Headphone
    * iPAQ Bluetooth Stereo Headphones (made by Logitech)"

From the A2DP thread I know there are at least a couple of you who have used these headsets. Can you give a short review (sound quality, range, comfort, looks, etc.). Any other headsets worth adding to the list? So here are the initial contenders:

1. Plantronics Pulsar 590A
    2. Bluetake i-PHONO BT420EX
    3. Logitech
    4. Motorola HT820 (compatibility not yet confirmed by SAG, hello moto).
    5. Creative Labs CB2530 (compatibility not yet confirmed by SAG)
    6. Iogear (compatibility not yet confirmed by SAG).

No luck with the NaviPlay from +Ten. This headset is really designed for the iPod, but it is flexible enough to work with other A2DP sources. Unfortunately it does not work with SAG. Plays for about 30 seconds then stops. I've tried every setting in SAG, but it makes no difference. The Bluetooth connection is still up, but no audio.
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    I am not happy with my BT420EX.

It is fine for audio (with it's dongle or with SAG). However, it's performance as handsfree headset is very inconsistant. It takes many attempts by pressing the button on it to transfer the call to the headset. I cannot ansewr the call at the headset either. I have to answer the call on the Treo.

BT420 was one of the first product of it's type. I bet the newer BT headsets are better. I also happen to dislike the "band behind the neck" design. I cannot lie down or rest my head on auto or airplane headrest. I prefer the designs where each earpiece loops around each ear independent of the other (no band connecting them).
    I wouldn't suggest the BT420EX now that the BT420RX is out. The RX adds AVRCP support and according to Bluetake has a newer chipset that allows for better range, less snap crackle pop. Bluetake also has the seperate ear piece model BT450RX.

As for the Plantronics over the head model. It looks like a high quality unit and probably sounds very good. Problem is over-the-head for portable use and outdoor use isn't a good match.
    I will throw in my vote for the motorola ht280. it is an excellently constructed headset with great audio handling. works great as a headset with a VERY clear microphone. It is compatible with SAG. I find it to be rather comfortable although others have had differing opinions.
    Quote Originally Posted by lovedatreo
    I will throw in my vote for the motorola ht280. it is an excellently constructed headset with great audio handling. works great as a headset with a VERY clear microphone. It is compatible with SAG. I find it to be rather comfortable although others have had differing opinions.
    Considering Im a fairly large man, these headphones didnt fit me. I went to my local Radio Shack today to try them on knowing they might not. Usually I run into this problem with this style of headphone. Looks like the only option for me is the Plantronics.

I cant wear buds too well either cause they fall out when I workout. Specially when I lay down to do an excercise.
    There is no spoon.
    I also went to Brookstone and tried theirs on. Same problem.

sigh
    There is no spoon.
    Stopped by my local Radio Hack to demo the Moto HT820. Both ogg vorbis files & shoutcast skipped every 3-5 seconds. I'll give it another try tomorrow with higher bit rate MP3's.

I am wondering if the file type has anything to do with the poor performance. Haven't seen any posts related to ogg compatibility. Also, I am using the original v1.00 of Audio Gate. Any thoughts? Feedback would be most appreciated..... as I want to make a move on these headphones ASAP.
    Visor-->Visor Phone-->Treo 180-->Treo 270-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700P-->Treo 755P-->Centro-->Pre+-->Pre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Hdhntr23
    Considering Im a fairly large man, these headphones didnt fit me. I went to my local Radio Shack today to try them on knowing they might not. Usually I run into this problem with this style of headphone. Looks like the only option for me is the Plantronics.

I cant wear buds too well either cause they fall out when I workout. Specially when I lay down to do an excercise.
    How about these?
    http://www.bluetake.com/products/BT450Rx.htm
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    maybe, thanks for that idea.
    There is no spoon.
    PDXTreo, are you a big TCM fan?

If so, PM me they are my fave!