Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1015161718192021 LastLast
    Got a question for anyone with the Motorola S9's, do you ever use them when you workout? I am looking for some BT headphones I can wear when I run. I know the S9's are supposed to be sweat/water resistant so I picked up a pair at Radio Shack. I got them to pair up just fine and they sounded great so I started wearing them when I was running. When I took them off there was a little sweat on the back and the earbuds but I always dried them off real good.

After about a week, I noticed that the down volume wasn't working anymore. Up was fine and the other buttons were fine but down was definitely dead... It wasn't a HUGE deal so I kept using them and used the down volume on my Treo instead. A couple days later I bumped the down button and noticed that it seemed to be working again. A day later the up volume stopped working. The day after that they just seemed to stop working after about 20 minutes even though I had fully charged them the night before. I set them in front of a fan for a couple hours and they seemed to work again but by then I was fed up with them so I took them back.

Normally I would just move on and try something else, but there really isn't anything else like them out there that I have been able to find. My other reservation is that there seem to be two types of packaging, a rectangular cardboard box and a rounder plastic package that seems to be newer. The pair I got from Radio Shack was in the cardboard box and it was torn up a bit so you could tell it had been opened before I bought it. I'm wondering if maybe the pair I tried were older and had already been abused and returned by someone else first so maybe it wasn't a fair trial.

Has anyone else used them successfully while running or doing other types of workouts? Thanks in advance for any information!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jwflutterby View Post
    Got a question for anyone with the Motorola S9's, do you ever use them when you workout? I am looking for some BT headphones I can wear when I run. I know the S9's are supposed to be sweat/water resistant so I picked up a pair at Radio Shack. I got them to pair up just fine and they sounded great so I started wearing them when I was running. When I took them off there was a little sweat on the back and the earbuds but I always dried them off real good.

After about a week, I noticed that the down volume wasn't working anymore. Up was fine and the other buttons were fine but down was definitely dead... It wasn't a HUGE deal so I kept using them and used the down volume on my Treo instead. A couple days later I bumped the down button and noticed that it seemed to be working again. A day later the up volume stopped working. The day after that they just seemed to stop working after about 20 minutes even though I had fully charged them the night before. I set them in front of a fan for a couple hours and they seemed to work again but by then I was fed up with them so I took them back.

Normally I would just move on and try something else, but there really isn't anything else like them out there that I have been able to find. My other reservation is that there seem to be two types of packaging, a rectangular cardboard box and a rounder plastic package that seems to be newer. The pair I got from Radio Shack was in the cardboard box and it was torn up a bit so you could tell it had been opened before I bought it. I'm wondering if maybe the pair I tried were older and had already been abused and returned by someone else first so maybe it wasn't a fair trial.

Has anyone else used them successfully while running or doing other types of workouts? Thanks in advance for any information!!!
    Sounds like maybe you got a bum set that needs replacing. I use my for running all the time and haven't had any issues...
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo View Post
    Sounds like maybe you got a bum set that needs replacing. I use my for running all the time and haven't had any issues...
    That's what I was hoping to hear, thanks!! I just found them at a Cingular store for $79.99 and was really tempted to try them again but I thought I'd ask for other people's experiences first...
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    I don't remember where I read it, but the S9 had some QC issues and I believe a newer version is now out. I looked on their website and there's nothing mentioning it, but somewhere I read it.
    Handspring Visor 2mb; Visor Prism; Palm i705; Tungsten2; VZW Treo650; TMO Crimson Treo680; iPhone 3g on TMO edge
    Just got my new S9. SAG works GREAT for music. All controls work.

I haven't tested the phone functions, but no one calls me anyway .. so I'm happy.

I can listen to music while exercising, and the S9 is moisture/sweat resistant.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    I greatly prefer the NC1s to the S9s. The S9s have better range but the comfort was terrible during a long workout or run. The 755p's BT range is so much better than the 650 or the 700p that I can now use the NC1s all over the gym without moving my phone and I don't get any breaking up when I run.
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    I greatly prefer the NC1s to the S9s. The S9s have better range but the comfort was terrible during a long workout or run. The 755p's BT range is so much better than the 650 or the 700p that I can now use the NC1s all over the gym without moving my phone and I don't get any breaking up when I run.
    Do they fall out while running?

Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo View Post
    Do they fall out while running?
    Not if I use the $3 Jabra eargels that also make them incredibly comfortable.
    I can't say that the S9 is the most comfortable headset, especially with the hard rubber tip that comes installed on it. The tips are replaceable, and the bigger round tips (comes with the unit) are better, especially with the S9 at different angles at the back of the head.

However, the S9 will never fall off while jogging, running, and is moisture proof. The sound quality is pretty good too.

I wonder if some 3rd party soft gel insert will work with the S9....
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    The S9 will certainly fall off/slip down when running. That's the problem. Just don't even think about moving your head in any direction when running or working out with the S9s.
    mine never have..maybe they fit some better than others?

Global Posts
    734 Global Posts
    Anyone heard of these phones?

http://www.bluetrek.com/products/st1/specs.htm

they look too good to be true...
    I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...

Roi Batty

palm IIIe(clear plastic)/m130/Tungsten E/Sprint Treo 650/Treo 755p
    Too good to be true? They look like an S9 rip-off with BT 1.2 and no water resistance.
    ok, dumb question, but have I been wearing my s9's upsidedown? Those other headphones look almost identical, but the diagram shows them going UNDER your ears. My s9 manual shows them going above the ears... I just turned my s9's upsidedown, and they fit just as well as they do the other way.

But the Motorola "M" on the back is then a "W". Maybe I have Wotorola's?

The MR did seem to address some of the issues with my s9's. Before, when I made a phone call while running pTunes, it never went back to pTunes. Now it does go back. I still have trouble sometimes with pTunes - both SAG and Bluetooth show the headphones sych'ed up, but pTunes doesn't show the time advancing on the song, won't let me pause, and won't make any noise...
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    You're wearing them the correct way (over the ear)

Global Posts
    734 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    Too good to be true? They look like an S9 rip-off with BT 1.2 and no water resistance.

Pretty harsh assessment don't you think? These do not get in the way of glasses and telephone answers in both ears...to what advantage is 2.0 BT if most phones are 1.2 anyway?

Roi Batty

The S-9 has been great for me. For those complaining about comfort, do you also know that you can turn the in-ear pieces? You can turn them so they fit more comfortably in your ear relative to how the bar fits behind your neck or on your head.

I find them to be loud and really clear. The only issue I have is that if I'm walking on NYC streets, I do often find that that the bluetooth will get interrupted (probably due to some other signal interfering with it). I don't have to reconnect or anything, I just have to give it a second and then it will start hearing the music again.

I am on a HTC Tytn/cingular 8525 so I don't know if that makes a differenc.
    Waynew73

(m105 => IIIxe => VIIx =>Tungsten T => i705 => Treo 600 => T-MO MDA => HTC Tytn = HTC Tilt & T-MO Dash => HTC TouchPro & HTC S740 => Palm Pre)
    Man, I've spent a lot of money and time on these things!!
    Hello,
    I've read this thread up to this point because I was looking for a product similar to the Plantronics Pulsar 590A or the Sony-Erriccson HBH-DS970. I'd like to suggest my intended usage/devices and get your opinions on whether either of these (or another, newer? device) might be good for my intended usage.

I'm moving to a new office tomorrow. We are a start-up. We are planning to use skype to call
    each other.

Connection to a PC:
    I have skype on my PC. I also listen/test/watch a lot of video (sometimes needing to switch the headphone to a different PC).

2) Corded headphones are problematic for me.
    I often get up in a hurry to go somehwhere and the corded headset goes flying off me head when I'm the distance of the cord away from the PC.

3) If I use a bluetooth headset, I'd like it to work for my phone too.
    I get calls from my family and sometimes coworkers on my cell phone (Sprint Treo 700p, currently without the MR upgrade). If I'm buying a stereo headset, I'd like to use it to listen to either ptunes or an external audio source on the way to work, I might be using an Archos 404 media player that I bought for my son (but that he is dissapointed with, apparently because it is not an ipod).

It seems like the dongle that comes with the Pulsar 590A might work well for with the Archos on the train and any computer while at work, while being easily changed. (I can probably install skype on multiple PCs so I can answer a skype call on whichever machine I might be testing on at the moment.)

I'm also interested in possibly using the Treo and PTunes, since I have both, and would need to bug SAG in order to use the headset with the treo anyway.

From what I've read, the handoff between ptunes and a treo phone call seems a little troubled, but that people have found workarounds (such as answering and/or hanging up using the treo) that seem to work. (I have not committed all the workarounds to memory, as I was pretty sure they might change with later relases of SAG and/or the MR release.) It was not clear to me in this thread whether SAG issues are still present (I assume they are) and whether the MR release makes things better or worse. I'll probably search for some threads on this. (If you know of such threads and want to link them here, thanks. Otherwise I'll try and update once I learn more.)

SOFTWARE I'M USING THAT I THINK IS PERTINENT:
    Sprint 700p with data plan.
    PTunes 3 Deluxe (I don't like the UI in PT 4)
    Kinoma 4 EX
    (No SAG yet.)
    TakePhONE (but I haven't been using it since the 700p as the 700p phone app is sort of good enough).

HARDWARE I'M USING THAT I THINK IS PERTINENT:
    Acer PC with bluetooth card (that might not be working, but I have another card in another Acer PC I can use).
    Levono (IBM) T60p (which I bet has bluetooth)
    Mac Mini (that has bluetooth for a keyboard. not sure if it has bluetoooth I can use for stereo headset)

Regardless of all of the above, a dongle might make for easy transfer from PC to PC without having to re-pair all of the time.

Hopefully the abobe is clear enough. To summarize:
    1) what might be a good solution for taking PC/skype as well as cell phone calls?

2) Are ptunes <--> phone handoff any better now than stated in this thread.

3) Are there easier solutions? Are their cheaper solutions?

thanks,
    --
    Bob
    Last edited by sudoer; 07/01/2007 at 06:24 PM.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Global Posts
    734 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by simba View Post
    I don't remember where I read it, but the S9 had some QC issues and I believe a newer version is now out. I looked on their website and there's nothing mentioning it, but somewhere I read it.
    Simba, if you run across more info I would appreciate it- I am having connectivity issues with my S9s, but I JUST got them from Amazon so don't know if they are the newer ones or the older ones...

Roi Batty

The last time I exchanged the S9 (after shorting out its buttons with sweat), the packaging was different. It was a regular box instead of that funky packaging where the headset would slide out of another "box"..

I don't know if that means the hardware has changed ...
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM