Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91415161718192021 LastLast
    Ok I got the S9 last night! $110 at mobilecityonline.com :-(

but at least they have a store near me in Tribeca so I picked it up yesterday. They look and feel great. I don't have SAG yet because I am planning on doing a hard rest on my treo. But I tried with my gf's fusic and it worked great. yes, only mono for phone calls but I don't think its a big deal. The volume and track buttons are real sensitive. I kept activiating them while trying to locate the play and talk buttons. But I like them. They really should have made them fold in (like sunglasses) so you could put them in your jacket pocket.

Now my gf wants one!!! But she'll have to wait until the price drops, lol.
    I've had my S9's for 2 days, and I'd like to share my experiences with the forum.

Background
    ==========
    I have a 700wx, I use Windows Media Player, and most of my music is .wma sampled at 96Kbps - 128Kbps (with a few at 196Kpbs). I have Hannip's A2DP bluetooth stack, along with Mortscipt and his script to alter the bitrate. Pairing was easy.

Sound Quality
    =============
    As others have mentioned, call audio only comes through on the left speaker. That's unfortunate, but is not terrible. The audio quality is good enough, and callers report that they can hear me fine.

I'm happy with the quality of the stereo music, and but I did need to adjust my bitrate down to 40 (48 was causing too many gaps in the audio). Speaking of gaps... I experience gaps on occasion, but typically it's when I first start up the music. Sometimes the music doesn't cut out at all, and other times it cuts out for 10-15 seconds, then everything is fine. I can live with this, but it may annoy others.

These headphones can get VERY loud, so you headbangers out there should be satisfied with the volume range.

Appearance
    ==========
    S9's are small, light, and unobtrusive. I wanted the black-on-black headphones, but they weren't available to me so I ended up with the red on black. Others may not even notice you're wearing them.

Comfort
    =======
    Putting them on and getting them adjusted takes a few seconds (and takes both hands), and wearing a collared shirt does interfere with them a bit. I have a small head and I find the fit sorta tight, so those of you with big heads may find them too tight. The good news is that they're not going to fall off, regardless of what you're doing. I was hoping I could have them hanging around my neck when not in use, but this is not very comfortable.

I'm not a big fan of the "in your ear" earbuds, so my ears are sore after hours of use today. Hopefully I'll build up some tolerance. They're very light, so once you find the "sweet spot" for comfort, they're pretty darn nice. I wear them at work and I get interrupted frequently, so having to take them off and put them back on can be a hassle. Because they're an "in your ear" headphone, simply pausing the music sometimes isn't enough to hear others... but I guess that can sometimes be a good thing.

Useability
    ==========
    As previous posters have mentioned, Voice Command does not work via bluetooth. This is not that big of a deal to me... to initiate a call or play some music, I just activate Voice Command on the phone, say my command into the phone ("Call Heather on Cell" or "Play Puddle of Mudd"), then put the phone away. I only do this in the car, unless I want to get the "you're a dork" look from my co-workers.

There are 3 buttons on each side; the left side has the call end/redial button surrounded by the volume buttons, and the right side has the music play/pause button surrounded by the next/prev track buttons. Unfortunately, the volume and track buttons are EXTREMELY sensitive... it's very hard to pause or play your music without changing tracks. The call end/redial and pause/play buttons are both buttons that require a press (and you'll get that satisfying "click"), but the other functions are all touch-sensitive, so when you're feeling around for the play button you'll invariably hit the next track button. I like this with the volume buttons, but not the track buttons. I am getting better at hitting the pause/play button on the first attempt - my success rate is about 70%.

The play/pause button does not always work. If I pause the music on my phone and start it back up via my headset, that seems to make things right and it'll work. Sometimes. Other times, I try to pause the music and I hear the button beep, but the music keeps playing. Pressing it a few times sometimes works, and sometimes it doesn't. When it does work, it seems to always work.

When you're listening to music and a call comes in, the music will fade and the headphones ring. After the call is completed, the music starts back up again.

Bottom line
    ===========
    My plan for these headphones is to wear them at work (I'm a software guy so I sit in front of a computer for long stretches), and for biking and running. They would also be good for those of you that have long commutes. Once I get the music going, I plan to listen for a while without making changes. If you're one of those people that likes to control your phone via your headset, you may get frustrated with the S9's due to the button sensitivity and the fact that the play/pause button works intermittently.

Even with the minor shortcomings, I think they're well worth the $100 or so you'll pay to get a pair.

I liked the HT820 controls quite a bit more (easier to find and they always worked), and I also liked the fact that call audio was on both speakers. I they were simply too big form my tastes (didn't like the Pricess Leia look), so the S9's were the answer for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by mike700wx View Post
    I'm happy with the quality of the stereo music, and but I did need to adjust my bitrate down to 40 (48 was causing too many gaps in the audio).
    Hey Mikey, I am having trouble with gaps too. I have a 650 with SAG. I thought I could keep my Treo in my pocket while I stream music, but too many gaps. But when I use my gf's fusic, it works perfectly. Do you think it could it be the bitrate, the phone , or SAG...or worse, all of the above?
    Quote Originally Posted by enynite View Post
    Hey Mikey, I am having trouble with gaps too. I have a 650 with SAG. I thought I could keep my Treo in my pocket while I stream music, but too many gaps. But when I use my gf's fusic, it works perfectly. Do you think it could it be the bitrate, the phone , or SAG...or worse, all of the above?
    You're guess is as good as mine! Do you know what your bitrate is set to? I would keep dropping it until the gaps disappear, and/or resample your music at a lower rate (yea, that would suck).

There's no consistent pattern for why some of my music has gaps when initially starting, and other music doesn't. It's almost like there's some sort of buffering going on, but I have no idea. I also have no idea why the d*mn pause/play button takes a vacation every now and then! And don't even get me started on WMP what a POS, and I don't mean point of sale.
    I picked up a pair of the S9s this weekend and so far so good with my 750. Couple impressions

-- they are a little snug but that is definitely a good thing while running/exercising, as you know they're definitely not going to fall off

-- the volume up/down, next track/previous track buttons as mentioned above are very sensitive and it does take some time to get used to where the buttons are located on the headset to ensure you're pressing what you think you're pressing.

-- My big thing with headsets always is how they work/feel while wearing glasses (sunglasses or regular). These fit snug but there's enough space to put the headset on first than slide the glasses/sunglasses in afterwards (may depend on the glasses though) so the headset actually doesn't press on the frames. Definitely more comfortable than over the ear headsets.

I'd definitely recommend them especially if you like to exercise and want a wireless solution for listening to music, streaming radio etc.
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Motorola S9 for $99 @ bestbuy
    add filler for $2.88.

Final Price: $99.99 + $2.88 - auto $20 off - auto $0.58 off = $82.29 + $3.99 (or free local pickup) shipping

You're welcome.

Ripped from DealsPlus
    AT&T 8925 + 8GB MicroSDHC + Jabra BT8040

Copper TREO 680 + 16GB SDHC + Holux M1000B + Palm BT Keyboard + Motorola S9
    yeah I saw the same deal on dealnews.com today....guess it pays to be patient! Too bad I wasn't!!!!
    30 day return policy at BB...
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Global Posts
    734 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike700wx View Post
    You're guess is as good as mine! Do you know what your bitrate is set to? I would keep dropping it until the gaps disappear, and/or resample your music at a lower rate (yea, that would suck).

There's no consistent pattern for why some of my music has gaps when initially starting, and other music doesn't. It's almost like there's some sort of buffering going on, but I have no idea. I also have no idea why the d*mn pause/play button takes a vacation every now and then! And don't even get me started on WMP what a POS, and I don't mean point of sale.
    I think the reason for the gaps is the fact that when body parts get in the way of the connection between the phone and the headset (or dongle in my case iTech R35), gaps are created- consistently, if I move my phone to a place where the body is in the way, I get gaps which are restored when the phone and dongle can see eachother again.
    I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...

Roi Batty

palm IIIe(clear plastic)/m130/Tungsten E/Sprint Treo 650/Treo 755p
    Global Posts
    734 Global Posts
    bump
    I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...

Roi Batty

palm IIIe(clear plastic)/m130/Tungsten E/Sprint Treo 650/Treo 755p
    Hi,
    My jack is dying (quel suprise), so I thought I'd bite the bullet and get bluetooth headphones.
    J and R's website said they had S 9's, but when I showed up, they said that was only online (none in stock?) I then rushed up to mobilecity in Tribeca, but couldn't find the place (are they really on Walker?).
    Maybe the Fates are telling me something. Why are we excited about flakey, mono-phoned, small headphones? I want to believe...
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    Hi,
    I went to Tribeca during lunch, and bought a pair of S9's from Mobile City. $100+tax. They also had the Sony Ericsson HBH-DS970's ($99). 30 day return policy. I was tempted to go with the SE ones, since they "worked" according to a previous post, but I went with my heart, and got the S9's.

I charged them for 30 minutes, then tried pairing them. I'm using a Treo 700p, with SAG 1.09? (latest version). My Treo was able to link with the headphones, and I then ran pTunes. The phones worked great - I could play/pause, skip songs, move volumn up and down, etc. Haven't tried any calls yet. I did notice that when you plug them in to charge, they turn off? And I then tried to let a co-worker use them, from another cubical, and they lost their link, and now I'm trying to get them to pair up again? Maybe the charge is gone? Or maybe I'm learning?
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    ok, wore them on commute home.

When you run pTunes in background, and switch to other apps, you can no longer use the s9 controls to switch songs, etc. I guess that makes sense. But I did get disconnected several times, and each time, had to reboot Treo to get music to come out of S9's again.

I used it to make one call so far. Seemed to work fine, but when call ended, I could no longer use them for music, and had to reboot.

I changed the stream output, from high to medium, and that was a mistake. Any base or low noises will sound very hissy, and setting it back to the default fixed the problem.

The phones are NOT too small. I have a huge head, yet they fit, and even left a gap. I could not rest my head against the train seat unless I pushed the phones UP (down made them do a funny angle against my ear).

Still playing, but now thinking I may return these and go with SE.
    KA1
    the only thing with the SE is that you get (headphone) wires for a wireless solution AND you are stuck with the built in ear buds. I was considering the motorola soundpilot which lets you plug in your own headphones but went with the S9 because I just don't like the idea of a "wired wireless" solution.
    Ok, been wearing the S9's for a few days.

Form factor: since they go around to your neck, from behind your ears, head size isn't really a problem. I do have an issue when I want to use a head-rest (think train commute). I wear glasses, and have no problem with the s9's and glasses (maybe I have big ears?). The controls on the side are easy to use - there is a raised bump on the middle button on each side, so you can easily figure out where your fingers are, and hit the appropriate spot. The sound-feedback to let you know you pressed and released a button works well. I wish they folded, or had some way to keep them in your pocket.

Controls: they seem to be able to hang up the phone fine. Haven't tried answering yet. They are able to change songs, go back, pause, etc. with pTunes. If pTunes isn't the selected application, and you try to change songs while pTunes is running in the background, you usually don't succeed.

Sound: pretty good. If you adjust things, you get similar sound to typical headphones. I had to turn off the audio boost in pTunes, as it caused distortion. And definately turn the volume up high on the phone, then use the headset to adjust it to a preferred level (think cable box and tv sound adjusting). The base can sometimes sound choppy, and sometimes the upper ranges hiss a bit, but I think it is mostly a factor of sound on the phone.

Connectivity: If I walk too fast, the sound sometimes cuts off for each step. I wear the phone on my hip, towards the front. If I push the phone towards the back, and tilt it, it doesn't seem to have gaps. It does seem to decouple alot. I probably have to setup the devices two or three times a day. I think the issue is more Treo bluetooth support than SAG/S9's, as when I do loose the connection, the bluetooth often can't find it. Though sometimes it can see the S9's, but claims it can't take control of them. Resetting the TREO seems to fix the probem (?).

My guess right now is that I'll keep them, praying that the May 27? patch improves the bluetooth issues. Even if bluetooth isn't 100%, it is better than constantly buying new cheap headphones that break, and ones that break my audio jack (went through 3 Treo 650's, and now my Treo 700 is starting to flake out, which was the reason I decided to try Bluetooth).
    KA1
    Quote Originally Posted by linc View Post
    Motorola S9 for $99 @ bestbuy
    add filler for $2.88.

Final Price: $99.99 + $2.88 - auto $20 off - auto $0.58 off = $82.29 + $3.99 (or free local pickup) shipping

You're welcome.

Ripped from DealsPlus
    I ordered this from BB on 4/24/07.

It is still back ordered !!
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Global Posts
    860 Global Posts
    The S9 is $89 here http://blueheadsets.zoovy.com/product/MOTOROLA-S9. They have an estimated ship date of 05/21. I've ordered from them several times.
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Edge (Upgraded for $100.00 just by giving them the Serial # of my Visor Deluxe plus I got to keep the Deluxe. Those were the days!)-> Palm M-505->M-515->Tungsten T->Zire 72->Treo 650->->Treo 700P->Treo 755P. Plus various replacements. 8130 Pearl....Sorry
    I was in my local Sony Style store over the weekend and noticed they had these:

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...5&tab=Features

Man o man they sounded incredible. They let me pair my T700P to them and try them out. I was drooling by the time I left.

Of course Im not going to spend $230 but damn they were hot!

Has anyone tried/purchased them yet?
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    I got Kyocera TXCKT10161's for $27 shipped. They're not the best headphones in the world, but I can't complain for the price. I might get a nicer set at some point, but these'll do for now.
    ok folks so I'll weigh in here with my opinions. Soon as I upgraded from a w to a wx, I ran right out and got some of those gawdawful original Moto HS-820 earmuff/bagel/Princess Leia units. Good initial test. But man - I would kick my own a** for wearing them out in public. And not that ear-friendly either.
    Then when the S9s came out, I had to get those. Nice enough, but a little hard on the head behind the ear. Also - I wear glasses sometimes (indoors) and sunglasses outside, and the S9s seem to get in the way a lot, of the ear pieces of my glasses. Overall, though, pretty nice.

Not long after getting the S9, I read the review of the Lubix NC-1s over at the sister site of TreoCentral - www.wmexperts.com. Review here:
    http://www.wmexperts.com/reviews/blu...stereo_bl.html

I have to say that I like these overall much better than the MotoS9s. Music is better, I <think> voice is better (at least no one seems to ask me 'where are you and I can't hear you' like they did with the S9s.

Might want to check out the Lubix....I love them. Great interface on the sides for music stop/pause/fwd/previous, etc - easy to feel.