Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 27891011121314151617 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    734 Global Posts
    anyone have any luck with the iTech products? Assuming that they have microphones, I like the idea of using my own headphones as I have many pairs....
    I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...

Roi Batty

palm IIIe(clear plastic)/m130/Tungsten E/Sprint Treo 650/Treo 755p
  2.    #222  
    A couple of new stereo headsets to hit the market soon:

Sagem SH1

Pulsar 590E
    Quote Originally Posted by Ree Nigne
    A couple of new stereo headsets to hit the market soon:

Sagem SH1

Pulsar 590E
    What's the difference between the 590A qnd the 590E, can anyone tell?
    Global Posts
    734 Global Posts
    who cares, they are both so 50's B movie sci fi ugly.

Roi Batty

Quote Originally Posted by tedcousens
    who cares, they are both so 50's B movie sci fi ugly.

Nice response.

I looked and I cant tell the difference either. I have the 590A's and wow I love em.
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    Global Posts
    734 Global Posts
    okay, okay maybe that was a bit rude. If there are improvements to the 'e' model, I will break down and buy a pair.

Roi Batty

7.    #227  
    Koss enters the game with the Cobalt. Kinda nice lookin'. Sound should be good. If you want the ear cans, this might be a good choice.
    Global Posts
    734 Global Posts
    doesn't say whether it has a microphone or not...

Roi Batty

9.    #229  
    Quote Originally Posted by tedcousens
    doesn't say whether it has a microphone or not...
    It does say "while taking a call" and that it allows users to "answer calls" so we're pretty safe.
    Quote Originally Posted by SAKozicki
    What's the difference between the 590A qnd the 590E, can anyone tell?
    I just contacted Plantronics.

The 'E' is the same as the 'A' however it is a 'LIGHT' version. It does not come with all the adapter stuff. Just the headset and a charger I believe.

None of the other stuff.

The 'A' which I have, comes with the charger, a charger base, the transmitter for usage with device that you can plug into such as a walkman or radio, a usb hook up, and a cable so you use them as a regular headset that plugs into a 3.5 plug.

It's basically the stripped down version.

Otherwise, electronically it's the same NO improvements over the 'A'.

That's what they told me.

Hope this helps, I was wishing some improvements.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Which ones of these are sealed type (resistant to moisture aka sweat)?

I guess the only way to find out is to examine them in a store ...
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Although I listen to a lot of audio using the Treo 650 I'd never really thought of getting a bluetooth option (I'd been pretty happy with the wired headphone option), but a couple of days ago the headphone jack gave up the ghost. The problem is exactly as reported here:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=110817

Since the device is out of warranty (and I didn't want to send it away to get repaired and be without it) I disabled the jack with the 'Bypass Headset Jack' option in VolumeCare and looked at BT options. Long story short, I went with the GlobalSat BTH-820 . I chose this because I wanted something I plug my own headphones into - big can's aren't for me and I shied away from likes the Sony HBH-DS970s because I'm really pretty hard on headphones and they're a little expensive to replace periodically. Also I really like the Sony MDR-EX71SLBs I have now - I know they sound good and are comfortable, whereas the HBH-DS970s are an unknown quantity.

Anyway the BTH-820 arrived today and here are few first impressions:

Pros:

1) Small and light (just 19 g). A good combination with the MDR-EX71SLBs. The whole lot must only weigh an ounce or so.

2) Paired easily and seems to interface pretty well with the Treo and Softick Audio Gateway.

3) The BTH-820 supports A2DP and AVRCP and this allows limited control of music pTunes playback: play and pause work, fast-forward doesn't, the rewind button skips straight back the start of the track. Volume controls work (not by changing the pTunes volume settings but that's ok).

4) Sound quality seems really good. At first they was a lot of static-type interference, but this disappeared when the volume in pTunes was increased and the volume on the BTH-820 was decreased. I've mostly been listening to spoken word audio but ran a couple of 320 kbps Bob Dylan MP3s through it and I really think it sounded pretty much as good as via the headphone Jack (even though SAG apparently only streams at 304 kbps).

Cons:

1) Range is poor. Unobstructed it's reliable up to about 4 feet and can work (not very reliably - prone to cutting out) to 12-15 feet. Much less than the stated specs. Obstructions dramatically reduce the signal - it won't for instance go through me! Works fine with the BTH-820 in a shirt pocket and the Treo in a front trouser pocket, but move the Treo to a back pocket and it cuts out almost completely. FYI, I'm a pretty average sized chap!

2) The BTH-820 seems to work pretty well at pausing the music and controlling the Treo when a phone call comes in, but the sound at the caller's end seems to be awful. I've only done a couple of tests (and I don't dare use it in anger) but I suspect I'll not be using this. Not really a major problem for me (I'll just pull out the Treo and use it alone to answer calls) but bound to be for some.

3) No control over playback using TCPMP (a limitation of SAG and/or TCPMP?).

4) Included headphones are probably the worst I've ever heard.

5) I had to buy it bundled with a BTA-830 'Audio Gateway' (for which I have no use at all) and this made it a bit expensive (90 incl. shipping).

Conclusion? I'm keeping it - it solves the broken jack problem and it works well with my (short range) usage patterns - but it's probably not for everyone.
    [QUOTE=marcol]5) I had to buy it bundled with a BTA-830 'Audio Gateway' (for which I have no use at all)
    QUOTE]

I think you will find that you can use the transmitter gateway. I didn't think I would use the one that came with the Plantronics but in the end, I am using this transmitter for devices other the Treo.

I like to listen to Air America which is on AM radio. So I just plug the transmitter into the headphone jack on a Sony mini AM radio and have a wireless connection that let's me move around.

I also found that the transmitter is universal. I can pair it to any of my Stereo Bluetooth headsets. I have also a Bluetake BT-450 and I pair the Plantronics transmitter with those headsets, because the Bluetake are smaller that the over the head style that the Plantronics are. I can't use the Plantronics when riding my bicycle with my helmet on. So I use the over the ear Bluetake and when I want to listen to Air America and not the Treo, I pair the transmitter with those.

So you might find in the end that you that extras do come in handy after all.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Koss enters the game with the Cobalt. Kinda nice lookin'. Sound should be good. If you want the ear cans, this might be a good choice.

I don't know anyone who wears cans..earbuds seem to be what people want. So I wonder why companies don't make more bluetooth earbuds? I have the Nokia Hs-12w's, but the dongle is a pain, and the controls do not work well with SAG.

Anyway, the most likely reason companies are not making what people want is that they are not listening. Mobile technology should be light, unobtrusive, flexible, and modular. So if your headphones make the user look like Princess Leia from Star Wars, its time to get back to the drawing board.
    Quote Originally Posted by fortezza
    I don't know anyone who wears cans..earbuds seem to be what people want.
    You know one now. Me.

Ear buds fall off my ears at the slightest movement of the head. Totally unsuitable for any physical activity.

Must be my ears.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    You know one now. Me.

Ear buds fall off my ears at the slightest movement of the head. Totally unsuitable for any physical activity.

Must be my ears.
    Well, I actually don't know you, I would have to meet you in person to do that ( by my definition of 'know' ) , but perhaps you need earbuds and have differently sized inserts ( small , med, large ) to let them fit well into your ears. My experience has been rather good, I can even go through my individual soccer practice ( for team practice I have to be able to comm. with my teammates, o/c ) without them falling out.

Do the can-style headphones work any better? I would think just their weight would make them tend to shift around when you perform a quick head movement.
    The ear-buds I tried were the one's that came with the Ipod Shuffle. I tried to get various add-ons at Radio Shack (to increase the diameter, to add a shape that inserted in my ear-canal .. a very discomforting choice). None of them worked.

I used a "behind the head" design BT240 and that worked just great. That design seems to be very popular with BT products from Motorola, Jensen, and many others. I bet the "clip behind the ear" like some Bluetake designs would work well too.

The problem with the ear-bud BT products is that there is not enough space in the buds alone to provide the antenna, battery, and circuits. The ear-buds will have to be attached with wires to a main "mother-ship" sitting in a pocket or armband, that will have all of that. That takes away from the charm of having a BT wireless setup, in my opinion.

Might as well keep the Treo in the pocket or armband then and do away with the whole BT thing...
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
  18.    #238  
    Quote Originally Posted by fortezza
    ... I wonder why companies don't make more bluetooth earbuds? I have the Nokia Hs-12w's, but the dongle is a pain, and the controls do not work well with SAG.

Anyway, the most likely reason companies are not making what people want is that they are not listening. Mobile technology should be light, unobtrusive, flexible, and modular. So if your headphones make the user look like Princess Leia from Star Wars, its time to get back to the drawing board.
    I agree, the less obtrusive the better. It shouldn't be that difficult to design buds without a connecting wire or band. We already have tiny mono BT headsets for one ear (i.e. Bluespoon AX), why not just have two of those, perhaps each pulling mono signals (one pulling the right channel, one pulling the left)? Put the mic in one and you could use it as a mono headset or use both and have stereo.

Couldn't SAG be tweeked to send each signal (R and L channels) out separately, or does the BT standard (or FCC) require that a single frequency be used?
    Global Posts
    734 Global Posts
    In actuality, I have friends at Dolby Labs and the techs say that the BT components have not yet been sufficiently miniturized to fit into earbuds and it will take several years to make the components small enough for BT buds. I know, because I was ready to fund a start-up to manufacture them over a year ago.

Roi Batty

I had a set of wired Koss 90s before my switch to Plantronics 590As and those Koss headphones phones had absolutely fantastic sound and, but for the cord, were pretty light and unobtrusive. Koss has a reputation of making great sounding headsets for a little price. Although the $190.00 I saw them listed at isn't little, I'm very intrigued.