1.    #1  
    Hi there this is a newbie question, how can I access internet on my treo 650. Do I need to take a plan from cingular? How does it work. Would be great if anybody can answer.
    Thanks

Sam
    Hi Sampatel!

If you are going to use the Treo for Internet and e-Mail, you need a data plan. I would suggest unlimited, as a per kb plan would kill you. Cingular is at $39.95 for their unlimited data plan, I believe. (Sprint is at $10, that is why many Treo owners are with Sprint.)

Anyway, with a data plan -- you just tap on the WEB icon from your Palm Launcher screen (applications screen, desktop or whatever your name is for it) and key in the site you want to visit.

May I suggest: www.google.com/gwt/n

You go there then key in your desired WEB address and it strips out most of the high KB clutter.

I have this address set as a bookmark in Blazer. As well, I have http://treo.discussion.treocentral.com set as a bookmark. This is a Treo friendly access to the discussion forum.

Cheers, Perry
    Last edited by gtwo; 02/28/2006 at 08:52 AM.
    I know a guy named Sam Patel. . .
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller
    I know a guy named Sam Patel. . .
    Interesting... Does he have a morbid fear of search engines and user manuals?
    ... Als sie mich holten, gab es keinen mehr, der protestieren konnte.
    ... Then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak out.
    -- Rev. Martin Niemöller

Clie T615C + Nokia 6360 (SunCom) --> Treo 650 (Sprint) --> Treo 755p (Sprint) + BlackBerry 7130e (VZW)
    Palm (aka Plantronics) Ultralight Wireless headset
    Helix Holster
    Hey, my specialty is in these posts. Anything more advanced and Bill Gamble has to post behind me and clean it up.

Hey, Bill --- Ya out there?

Cheers, Perry.
    This thread must be a joke...
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Hey Munk! Good Morning!
    (Or was this your last post before your after 3rd shift nap?)

Many moons ago, when I was on line with Zeos tech support, they said it would be a 3 hour call back. In response to my "What?" they said they were walking alot of people thru connecting the cords to their new Christmas PCs.

I am noob, I empathize.

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 02/28/2006 at 09:00 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    Hey Munk! Good Morning!
    (Or was this your last post before your after 3rd shift nap?)

Many moons ago, when I was on line with Zeos tech support, they said it would be a 3 hour call back. In response to my "What?" they said they were walking alot of people thru connecting the cords to their new Christmas PCs.

I am noob, I empathize.

Cheers, Perry.
    I didn't work this morning, so I'm just waking up, anyways...

He's had this phone since at least
    7/8/2005.
    Hi guys,

I am new to this whole world of Treo's, have 650, and would like to know, what in the world is the unlocked phone thing about. What are the advantages of having an unlocked phone over a locked phone. Can I unlock my present Cingular phone and then use it with the same service and phone number.
    You mean to tell me in the (at least) 7 months he's had this, he's never once before had the slightest inkling to go online?
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    WOW, kvcobra is probably right. However, it does appear they are taking it one step at a time. .. . .
  10.    #10  
    Thats the idea. One step at a time.
    Cingular is at $39.95 for their unlimited data plan, I believe. (Sprint is at $10, that is why many Treo owners are with Sprint.)
    Can't seem to quash this one:

Sprint Unlimited Data Plan - $14.99
    Cingular Unlimited Data Plan (MediaNet) - $19.99
    Cingular Unlimted Data Plan w/ VPN - $39.99 (PDA Plan)

You only need the PDA plan if you tying into some private corporate e-mail server.
    Hey Jack. . . .

Somtimes its like pushing water up hill. However, the Cingular store rep I just talked to was convienetly forgetful on mentioning the $19.99 plan when I asked what the current cost on an unlimited data plan was for the Treo. I have also read in other threads that people have had difficulty getting the $19.99 plan if it is known that their device is a Treo.

As well -- the Sprint data plan is $10. They say $15, but that includes unlimited picture mail or something, which can be removed by asking. (Which I did.)

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 02/28/2006 at 09:57 PM.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    I don't understand Cellular one. When I talk to the reps they say "for $15 a month you can have unlimited data, access your email, web, etc." Then I say "I have a treo" they say "oh, $40 a month then.".

I've no idea why, other than it has the capability to DUN?

Maybe because people are more likely to actually use the data service with a treo?
    As well -- the Sprint data plan is $10. They say $15, but that includes unlimited picture mail or something, which can be removed by asking..
    Sprint web site is a PITA for this stuff so I calles and it is still pretty much $5 less than Cingular....basically Sprint is this:

Vision:

Internet Only - $10
    Internet and blah blah blah - $15
    Internet, Messaging and TV - $20

Power Vision (Add $5)

Internet - $15
    Internet and blah blah blah - $20
    Internet, Messaging and TV - $25

PowerVision with VPN is $35, again $5 less than Cingular.

And blah blah blah is a list of things like pictures and stuff that I didn't really want to hear
  15.    #15  
    Thanks a lot guys for all the info.
    Quote Originally Posted by josholson
    I don't understand Cellular one. When I talk to the reps they say "for $15 a month you can have unlimited data, access your email, web, etc." Then I say "I have a treo" they say "oh, $40 a month then.".

I've no idea why, other than it has the capability to DUN?

Maybe because people are more likely to actually use the data service with a treo?
    Cause the think you need VPN. At Cingular unlimited is $20.....unlimited w/ VPN = $40. CSR's generally 'assume" if you bought a Treo, you need VPN.