1.    #1  
    What is the difference between firmware and software and what and I changing if I do a custom ROM to ENA? Do I also want to do a firmware update if I do a custom ROM, and what are the benefits of a firmare update?

I have Cingular

Firmware: 1.51
    Software: 1.17-CNG

Also where do I find firmware updates? I'm just trying to get all this straight before I attempt a custom ROM. I was thinking of using my current CNG ROM and changing it, but would anyone recommend using the ENA ROM instead?
    Quote Originally Posted by biscuit141
    What is the difference between firmware and software and what and I changing if I do a custom ROM to ENA? Do I also want to do a firmware update if I do a custom ROM, and what are the benefits of a firmare update?

I have Cingular

Firmware: 1.51
    Software: 1.17-CNG
    I'll take a crack at your first question:

Firmware runs on a separate ARM processor embedded in your radio board. You can keep firmware at one version and software at any other version without fear of problems.

The two layers interact solely through the GSM AT command set (even on CDMA phones!), making them pretty much independent.
    That short answer was so enlightening to me... Thanks. - mvk

Quote Originally Posted by mmastrac
    I'll take a crack at your first question:

Firmware runs on a separate ARM processor embedded in your radio board. You can keep firmware at one version and software at any other version without fear of problems.

The two layers interact solely through the GSM AT command set (even on CDMA phones!), making them pretty much independent.
    This discussion reminds me of some experiences when I worked on embedded computers and satellite data communications nearly 20 years ago. There we had a simpler environment where we had a simple kernel in ROM, which then received (via satellite) a bootloaded image of more complex communications software, to be run in RAM.

However, once our company's sales-slime heard these two terms, they started referring (in their sales pitches) to the downloadable software as "firmware", because it sounded so much more "firm" and "solid." :-)