Global Posts
    327 Global Posts
    So I bought a nice body glove stereo headset for my treo, not that expensive, and very comfortable in my ears. Unfortunatly, I only get mono audio out of it.

From what I understand this is an impedence issue, that my headset doesn't have enough? I know there's a coupler from sedio that enables 3.5mm headsets to work, but I'd like to keep my 2.5mm and preferably have it work as a phone headset as well (don't know if the sedio coupler + the headset's included 3.5mm -> 2.5mm adapter would let me keep the phone option). Does anyone know of a similiar thing.

As an aside, does anyone know why palm would design it this way, seems stupid? just wondering if there's a redeeming reason?
    Do most cellphones have 2.5 jacks?

I don't think they realized how many people would want to invoke the iPod ability of the Treo. Of course then, why did they put Real Player on it?

Anyway, I have used the 3.5 to 2.5 adapter since day one with my Treo -- there should be no pass thru issues with using it. If there is an issue, it most likely is not the adapter. Could be the Treo jack itself or an issue with the headset.

Cheers, Perry.
    Global Posts
    327 Global Posts
    the headset works in mono mode in the treo.

When used in other mp3 cell phones (forget which one, but my office mate's) and my laptop (via included adapter) it works fine in stereo.

I have another headset that works fine in the treo (i.e. in stereo and can talk, but the buds are very very uncomfortable compared to the new one).

I think Palm screwed up on this.
    Quote Originally Posted by thetoad
    So I bought a nice body glove stereo headset for my treo, not that expensive, and very comfortable in my ears. Unfortunatly, I only get mono audio out of it. From what I understand this is an impedence issue, that my headset doesn't have enough?
    1. Many peeps nare using stereo headsets on the Treo so it woud appear that perhaps this vendor has an issue or maybe you just got a bum unit.

2. Peeps are now using wireless headsets making the jack issue a "non issue".

3. I'd be surprised if sound subsystem on the Treo (mic, speakers, chips, included) costs even $14....don't expect too much.
    Possibly the Treo jack and possibly the headset jack is slightly off, even though it works in other phones.

How old is the Treo? I would go to your provider's shop and show them it doesn't work and see what they do. (Show them the headset works in another device.)

The flipside is to take the Treo and the headset to the store where you got the headset from and see if another headset of the same model does the same thing. If two units of the same headset have same the problem in the Treo, then it is probably the Treo jack is faulty or not accepting of that plug's design.

Good Luck.
    If the 2.5 to 3.5 converter works on the treo, then what's this thing for?

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/6545/4100ld.jpg
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    ...then what's this thing for?
    I'm sure you already know as the page that image links to tells you

A few headphones and speakers don't trigger stereo mode on the Treo when used with a stereo audio adapter (such as the Palm Headphone Adapter, Seidio's Stereo Adapters, and the Sedio InnoDock). Instead of a wonderful stereo sounds you are met with deafening silence or mono sound. This is due to the impedance level on your headphones/speaker isn't high enough to trigger the Treo to switch into stereo mode.

The Audio-out Coupler resolves this issue by raising the impedence level of you headphones/speaker. Simply insert this adapter in-line between the headphones and your stereo audio adapter.
    lol, yes TazUk, you know that, and i know that, and even the initial poster knows that, but it seems to have been missed here by others, his question is, does anyone know of a solution for him apart from that ugly contraption, that he can use to get his treo to stop wrongly switching over to mono because of the impedance of his headphones

thetoad,

i am upgrading to the treo from a motorola mpx220 windows smart phone which i used for mp3 duty as well, i have many nice 2.5mm headsets that work beautifully on the mpx220, this is s specific bug in the treo, i have looked in to a software solution or registry hack for this, but apparently its a hardware switch. Theres even a member of treocentral that has a tutorial on how to swap this jack out for a 3.5mm non switching one to avoid this problem, check him out at www.treotricks.com

Or, just use A2DP stereo over bluetooth to avoid the bug.

thetoad,

i am upgrading to the treo from a motorola mpx220 windows smart phone which i used for mp3 duty as well, i have many nice 2.5mm headsets that work beautifully on the mpx220, this is s specific bug in the treo, i have looked in to a software solution or registry hack for this, but apparently its a hardware switch. Theres even a member of treocentral that has a tutorial on how to swap this jack out for a 3.5mm non switching one to avoid this problem, check him out at www.treotricks.com

Or, just use A2DP stereo over bluetooth to avoid the bug.
    I don't recommend swapping out the 2.5 mm for a 3.5 mm... that was just a proof-of-concept project to show that Palm could have installed a 3.5 mm jack.

The 3.5 mm jack in the antenna is pretty cool though and the ghost jack fix works great... and is a permanent fix.
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
    Understood nonobeez. I have had some luck with one of these

http://img47.imageshack.us/img47/721/130lp.jpg

paired with one of these,

http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/4121/1478203o6jf.jpg

but I haven't had a chance to confirm that im really getting stereo, and the whole thing does not look much better or cleaner than the monstrosity at the top.
    Understood nonobeez. I have had some luck with one of these

http://img47.imageshack.us/img47/721/130lp.jpg

paired with one of these,

http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/4121/1478203o6jf.jpg

but I haven't had a chance to confirm that im really getting stereo, and the whole thing does not look much better or cleaner than the monstrosity at the top.

What you should do is make your own adapter. Go from a 2.5 mm male connector to 2 RCA's Add a couple of 500 ohm resistors between each channel and ground in the 2.5 mm connector and you are set.

Parts list:

1) 2.5 mm, 3 conductor male connector
    2) 3 ft (or longer) RCA stereo cable with male connectors
    3) 500 ohm resistors, SMT or 1/8 watt, (2x)
    4) solder and soldering iron.

that's it!!!
    Global Posts
    327 Global Posts
    so I've taken some measurments, which seem to imply my headset is (if not broken) very weird.

if one reads this post on treotricks, one has a wealth of knowledge about the jack.

http://treotricks.blogspot.com/2006/...k-secrets.html

now, that led me to take a multimeter to my 2 headsets (the black one that works, and the white out that doesn't).

this is what I found.

again, I have 2 headsets, a "black" one that works stereo in treo, and a white
    one that doesn't.

they each have a cooper male connector seperated by 3 "bars" (black and
    white respectively).

I used my multimeter to measure resistance.

I'll denote it by C for Copper and B and W for Black and white

so we have C3 B C2 B C1 B C0

where C0 is the tip.

I measure resistance by placing one lead at C3, and placing the other
    lead at C2 C1 and C0.

at C0, I measure 32 Ohms, at C1, I measure 32 Ohms, and C2 I measure 0
    Ohms. (C0 is really the notch right b4 it gets a little wider). (really
    approx, as I measure 32-33 Ohms, but according to documentation, that's
    pretty close to 32 Ohms it says is normal).

On the other one we have C3 W C2 W C1 W C0

at C0 I measure 0 Ohms, at C1 I measure 16 Ohms, at C2, I measure 16
    Ohms (this is close to right on the money).

Obviously there's a major difference (and it's not the amount of Ohms I measured)

Now I decided to measure something else, what happens if I press the
    "pickup/hangup" button on the respective headsets.

On both, it doesn't affet the ones that already have resistance, but it
    causes the one at 0, to measure 1 Ohm.

Does this make it seem like my headsets broken (implies to me it's wired
    wrong, but I don't really know). Any idea if I can easily "rewire" it?
    (i.e. build my own female to male adapter that rewires things
    correctly?)
    One headset is obviously made for the Treo, the other is not. You need to wire the white one like the black one for it to work.

Starting from the tip, the rings are left, right, mic, ground. The button goes between mic and ground.

Seems like the white one has left and mic swapped... but it does not matter, just wire it like the black one.

I hope this helps.
    Global Posts
    327 Global Posts
    well, the black one wasn't made for the treo. I'm unsure how I can rewire it.