1.    #1  
    Just saw this over at 1src.com:

UnCache is a utility that will let you directly determine what applications get Launch code 5.
    "What is Launch Code 5?" you might ask. It is a launch code that is sent to ALL applications when palm is resetting. "ALL?!?!?" you might ask, "Isn't that too much?" Well...yes, so PalmPowerups fixed it. Pretty much when your palm resets every application is separately launched and told that palm is resetting. Most applications do not much care about this, and do nothing with this, but they still have to be loaded, called, and unloaded, this takes time, and on NVFS device this fragments the DbCache as well.

UnCache solves all these problems by letting you select what gets run at reset. In general Alarm, Backup, and hack-like applications need this, or they will not activate automatically.

This application can also siginifantly reduce your boot times, and speed up the system in general. So what are you waiting for, go FREE your cache!
    http://www.palmpowerups.com/modules....showpage&pid=9

Here is the related thread over at 1src.com...

So anyone try this yet on the Treo 650? Can you really setup super fast resets on the 650? I have chattermail setup to automatically startup on reset and often it takes a loooong time for the Treo to restart after soft reset. I wonder if this would significant speed things up...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I posted in that thread trying to get an answer on what it does that a soft reset or meminfo won't do.
    Uncache messed up my DA and other utilities including Japanese localization!! And worst of all, I could not even resore with RBackup and it eventually forced me to hardrest. Be careful!
    Unlocked GSM:Treo650-1.20-ENA, FM 1.71 on CosmOTE
    Uncache works fine for me, no problems at all.

I suggest you may not have set all the correct programs to load at start up ?

Strange that you had to do a hard reset. If you had turned off the enable switch and done a soft reset it should have returned you back to a normal state.

I'm getting slightly more DBCache and my Largest Free Chunk of Dynamic Heap memory is now always almost as big as the Total Free size
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
  5.    #5  
    <bump>

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Why would you want to uncache? It's been my understanding that the caching is the reason why the Treo 700 is so much quicker and snappier than other WM5 devices. If that comes at the cost of a little longer boot time, then I'd thing it would be well worth it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Minsc
    Why would you want to uncache? It's been my understanding that the caching is the reason why the Treo 700 is so much quicker and snappier than other WM5 devices. If that comes at the cost of a little longer boot time, then I'd thing it would be well worth it...
    Unfortunantly Uncache is the wrong name for this product as it does not remove cache memory.

You need to re-read the product description in the first post to understand what it does
    Thought of the day :
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Wow, my bad. For some reason I thought I was in the 700w forum. Must be time for bed....
    Global Posts
    860 Global Posts
    I tried it for about 30 minutes. My Treo became very unstable. I didn't have a crash but I did have several freezes. IMO, the apps that slow down a reset are the ones you want to auot start at a reset anyway: Chatter, Volume Care, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by twitch3
    I tried it for about 30 minutes. My Treo became very unstable. I didn't have a crash but I did have several freezes. IMO, the apps that slow down a reset are the ones you want to auot start at a reset anyway: Chatter, Volume Care, etc.
    I think that some users are missing the point of this app.

Things like Volume Care, Butler etc are the ones you want to be loaded at a reset.

The whole point of this app is not really anything to do with speed of a reset.

It is to stop your DBCache & Dynamic Heap memory getting fragmented at reset by the loading and unloading of things like your SatNav, SplashPhoto etc which are sitting in RAM but do not need to be loaded most of the time.
    Thought of the day :
    I want to run Goodlink on Startup, how did you make it so chattermail ran at startup?
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT
    I think that some users are missing the point of this app.

Things like Volume Care, Butler etc are the ones you want to be loaded at a reset.

The whole point of this app is not really anything to do with speed of a reset.

It is to stop your DBCache & Dynamic Heap memory getting fragmented at reset by the loading and unloading of things like your SatNav, SplashPhoto etc which are sitting in RAM but do not need to be loaded most of the time.
    There is also a slight benefit in startup time from not loading those apps into cache. It's not big though. You can see the max benefit by doing a debug reset - with this reset, no apps get the launch code.
    http://www.hobbyistsoftware.com/troubleshooting.php#13

In the lifedrive, there is a huge benefit - -presumably because the hd is so slow.
    Hobbyist Software
    VLC Remote - Control VLC from your Pre
    Remote - Control iTunes from your Pre