1.    #1  
    Is there such thing as a DNS Client for PALM OS 5? (Please someone tell me that there is!!!!)

Why I need it? I'm gettin tired of paying 20 bucks a month for Tmobile Internet.... You can use TZones FOR 6 BUCKS A MONTH.. and use the proxy of your web browser. Setup your proxy at home.. and you're done... Why i want a DNS client, b/c i dont want to select a range of allowable IP adresses, JUST THE IP address of my Treo 650... It's more secure.. I would setup a password and username for my browsers but xino and web don't allow that type authentication... someone please tell me ther is hope!!!!
    DNS has nothing to do with what you're talking about which is still a mystery to me... Of course PalmOS supports DNS resolution how else would you perform name resolution?

It appears you're talking about running an HTTP proxy server (like SQUID).
    After re-reading your post 5 times I think you're talking about a Dynamic DNS client which allows you to associate a dynamic IP address to a hostname, then allow that hostname on your proxy server software.

Isn't T-Mobile through a NAT so you'll never have an outward facing IP Address rendering this method of "securing" your proxy-server ineffective?
    Quote Originally Posted by cesium1024
    After re-reading your post 5 times I think you're talking about a Dynamic DNS client which allows you to associate a dynamic IP address to a hostname, then allow that hostname on your proxy server software.

Isn't T-Mobile through a NAT so you'll never have an outward facing IP Address rendering this method of "securing" your proxy-server ineffective?
    Ding ding ding...give the man his prize!

You are correct. A dynamic DNS app, which I don't think exists for the palmos, would only give you the NAT address for T-Zones. So if you allowed that address, you'd actually be allowing everyone else on tzones that uses that same IP.

Nice try though...
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
  5.    #5  
    Yes sorry, Dynamic DNS... I think i should talk to no-ip.com and ask them to develop it =) Sorry for being vague, I was writing this in a hurry, I don't want to stay at work any longer than i have to. Tmobile doesnt use NAT, it has its own IP. Keep that in mind =)
    Last edited by yobeez; 02/28/2006 at 12:45 PM.
    You might get an app to work for you, but you will still face the issue Cesium and I have described. In other words, you will not have the security that you think you will have.
    - Albert Einstein
    If you have T-Mobile VPN, you have an "outward-facing" IP address.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
  8.    #8  
    Nooooooo are you serious?!
    Quote Originally Posted by yobeez
    Yes sorry, Dynamic DNS... I think i should talk to no-ip.com and ask them to develop it =) Sorry for being vague, I was writing this in a hurry, I don't want to stay at work any longer than i have to. Tmobile doesnt use NAT, it has its own IP. Keep that in mind =)
    Fightin' Words!
    My Freebie Java Widgets (Compatible with 650, 680, 700p & 755p)
    HourlyXCast - Hourly & 7 Day Forecasts! Weather Graphics, Radar Images & Alerts. "When 'PM Showers' just doesn't cut it"
    - RottenTomatoMeter - Movie Ratings, Reviews, Showtimes for New Movies & DVDs
    - TV2Nite - Calendar Events for your Favorite TV Shows!
    Quote Originally Posted by shneor
    If you have T-Mobile VPN, you have an "outward-facing" IP address.
    That's the $20/month variety, not the $6 t-zones, IIRC.
    - Albert Einstein
    Quote Originally Posted by yobeez
    Tmobile doesnt use NAT, it has its own IP. Keep that in mind =)
    Are you sure about that? It's been a couple years, but when I had T-Mobile, their VPN connection for $20/month had a routable IP address, their other connection, still $20/month was NATTED (since most people don't care). T-Zones was definitely using NAT at that time. I cannot say for sure whether any of this is still true, but for $6/month i'd be surprised if they are not using NAT.
    - Albert Einstein
  12.    #12  
    Yes I'm sure about that. Well i have T-Mobile now, (went to whatismyip.com) maybe Alot has changed since you had it... Had an ip of 208.54.94.X , always changes when i disconnect from the internet, and reconnect... But who knows... HOOOOOOOOOODIE HOOOOOOOO sorry, force of habit!
    What does that actually tell you?

It tells me that you have a public IP address....well, of course you do...you're on the internet. It does not tell you whether or not you are coming from a Natted address.

I don't mean to be condescending at all, just not sure you know how NAT works. Your device could have an unroutable address, and when it connects to the internet, it gets translated to a public address. All the other users would use that SAME public address. Just like a home router. All your machines at home have 192.168.1.x addresses, and you cable modem has a real address. All your machines share that real address on the internet because they are natted by the router.

A simple call to T-Mobile should tell you whether or not tzones uses nat, but I'm still betting that it does.
    - Albert Einstein
    Just go to the "Log" section of Networking (Prefs), it'll show your IP Address. If it's in the IANA reserved range you're on a NAT and screwed.