1.    #1  
    Ever since I got my Treo 650, I have a minor but very bothersome issue: I am not able to play audio (real media .rm , or mp3 format) smoothly. It *WILL* pause for about a quarter of a second every once awhile (5-15 seconds) when I play the audio file, using real player on the foreground.

Realplayer supports background play. Occasionally, when I tried to switch to a different application while real player is playing the media file, it will stop playing.

In all cases, i can hear a barely audible buzz prior to the pause or the abrupt stop of real player.

This buzz can also be heard when I try to play video files using TCPMP. In the case of TCPMP, I can consistently hearing that barely audible buzz intermittently. But the buzz won't stop TCPMP from playing the media file.

At beginning, I suspect it's due to software I installed (I owned a Treo 600 and I just migrate my exiting profile directly to Treo 650). I then decided to remove what I thought might be the offending application one by one. It took me *WEEKS* of trial and error for me to decide that it was not any of my 3rd party softwares' problem. And yes, I know that for sure because I can duplicate this annoying pauses even immediately after a hard-reset.

Here is my existing phone info:

Firmware: 01.51
    Software: Treo-650-1.17-CNG
    Hardware: A

Any ideas? Is this sound like a hardware defect? or i might able to fix it by "upgrade" to a newer, but unlocked GSM version of firmware?

thanks in advance.
    Sounds like the SD CARD might be too slow.

What brand do you own? What size is it? Do you know the speed of your memory card?!?!
    - Treo often imitated; never duplicated!
    Quote Originally Posted by kngharv
    Ever since I got my Treo 650, I have a minor but very bothersome issue: I am not able to play audio (real media .rm , or mp3 format) smoothly. It *WILL* pause for about a quarter of a second every once awhile (5-15 seconds) when I play the audio file, using real player on the foreground.

Realplayer supports background play. Occasionally, when I tried to switch to a different application while real player is playing the media file, it will stop playing.

In all cases, i can hear a barely audible buzz prior to the pause or the abrupt stop of real player.

This buzz can also be heard when I try to play video files using TCPMP. In the case of TCPMP, I can consistently hearing that barely audible buzz intermittently. But the buzz won't stop TCPMP from playing the media file.

At beginning, I suspect it's due to software I installed (I owned a Treo 600 and I just migrate my exiting profile directly to Treo 650). I then decided to remove what I thought might be the offending application one by one. It took me *WEEKS* of trial and error for me to decide that it was not any of my 3rd party softwares' problem. And yes, I know that for sure because I can duplicate this annoying pauses even immediately after a hard-reset.

Here is my existing phone info:

Firmware: 01.51
    Software: Treo-650-1.17-CNG
    Hardware: A

Any ideas? Is this sound like a hardware defect? or i might able to fix it by "upgrade" to a newer, but unlocked GSM version of firmware?

thanks in advance.

Hi kngharv!

The Treo 650 bricks when you do this. It causes all sorts of strange behavior. Hard resets and hotsyncs will not cure the problem as you are bringing the same "problem" back from the hotsync. You have to do a clean install:

http://treo.discuss.treocentral.com/...ad.php?t=99450

This process restores your PIM data, but the remnaming of the backupfolder does not allow the problems to return. You then install your third party software fresh. This should cure the problem. Even if it does not cure the problem at hand -- you need to do this anyway to avoid other future issues.

Cheers, Perry
  4.    #4  
    It's not the problem with SD card nor the media files (rm / mp3 ). The reason why I can be sure is because I am also an owner of Treo 600. I was able to use the same SD card with same media files without any problem on my Treo 600.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks. But the problem is that even immediate after a hard-reset (which erase everything). I still encounters this problem even without installing anything!!!! Real player is in the Cingular Firmware, media files is in SD card.
    Quote Originally Posted by kngharv
    Thanks. But the problem is that even immediate after a hard-reset (which erase everything). I still encounters this problem even without installing anything!!!! Real player is in the Cingular Firmware, media files is in SD card.
    Sounds like a hardware issue then. Take a trip to your Cingular store with your hard-reset device, show them what it is doing and see if they have a different solution -- other than replacement.

Cheers, Perry.