Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Palm released its Palm Desktop 4.0 software at the http://www.palm.com/software/desktop/ site today. It's functionally similar to the old one, with the addition of Vcard and Vcal functionality, some new views, and a much more modern look.

WARNING: Installing this on your system will cause you to lose the ability to do a USB HotSync with your Visor.

[NOTE: There's a much easier, and probably safer, way to do this that I discovered after posting this. See my next message and ignore the following, which I'll leave as a historical record. :-]

I was able to get it to work with my Visor, though. Here's what I did: (No guarantees, but it worked here.)

1) Copy the following files from your Palm Desktop directory to another directory:
    CMDS21.DLL
    HotSync.cnt
    HotSync.exe
    HSAPI.dll
    hslog20.dll

2) Install Desktop 4.0

3) Shut down HotSync manager, and then copy the files from Step 1 back to your Palm Desktop directory. Now you should be able to relaunch HotSync manager, and you'll have USB sync access again.

[Edited by dennya on 01-12-2001 at 03:58 PM]
    Denny Atkin / denny@hhcmag.com
    Editor-in-Chief, Handheld Computing Magazine / www.hhcmag.com
    i'll assume you're using Win98 and give this a try on my computer.

Thanks for the info on enabling USB syncing!!!

UPDATE: I looked everywhere and i couldn't find the file "HSAPI.DLL" on my computer.

I found all the other files.

wow, it's been awhile.....things have REALLY changed...why is my Visor Edge still in my hand? Will a Treo fit better?
  3.    #3  
    Hoser,

Yep, I'm using Win 98SE.

Not sure why you don't have that file. It was present on both my desktop and my laptop. Do you have "Show all files" selected and "Hide system files" turned off in your Windows settings?

Also, those files were selected by trial and error -- I chose everything that had HotSync in its name (and I assumed HSAPI was "hotsync API"), and the CMDS21.dll file I had to add when HotSync manager popped up with an error in that file.
  4.    #4  
    Actually, there's an easier way, courtesy of Calvin Parker:

1) Install Desktop 4.0

2) Using your Handspring CD, do a Custom Install, and choose to install ONLY HotSync Manager.

[Edited by dennya on 01-12-2001 at 05:23 PM]
    dennya,

i have it checked off as 'show all files'.

but i'll try the other approach.

thanks for the link and the tips!
    wow, it's been awhile.....things have REALLY changed...why is my Visor Edge still in my hand? Will a Treo fit better?
    I just follwed the instructions offered by DennyA - installing HotSynch via Custom Install - and everything works fine.
    I use the desktop frequently. From here, I make my appointments, etc. The new views are subtle but very helpful. In fact, having the month views while in the Day view mode - and the tool tip info available by pointing at the month view - is worth the entire upgrade for me. Thanks DennyA for the lead.
    Dennya,

You mean desktop 4.0 or 4.01? I don't see a 4.01 anywhere.

Lex
  8.    #8  
    Lex (or should I say "Mr. President" :-),

I meant Desktop 4.0... Sorry, it was a typo.

There is one feature that's significant to me in this: You can now set alarms for the desktop, FINALLY. You have to enable them. But this'll be great for those times I have an alarm and my Visor's in the other room or in my computer bag...
    Originally posted by dennya
    Actually, there's an easier way, courtesy of Calvin Parker:

1) Install Desktop 4.0

2) Using your Handspring CD, do a Custom Install, and choose to install ONLY HotSync Manager.

Actually, this method for some reason deletes the palm.cnt file, the table of contents for the Desktop help system. If you'd prefer to keep this file intact, you'd want to follow these steps:

1) Install Desktop 4.0

2) Go to C:\Program Files\Palm (or wherever you've installed Desktop) and copy the palm.cnt file to another directory.

3) Using your Handspring CD, do a Custom Install, and choose to install ONLY HotSync Manager.

4) Copy palm.cnt from wherever you stored it temporarily back into C:\Program Files\Palm or wherever you installed Desktop.

Or alternatively, just wait until Handspring posts an updater
    I don't know what happened but after I installed Palm Desktop 4.0 whenever I would press the HotSynch button my computer would restart. I ended up having to uninstall Palm desktop and then reinstalling the Handspring version. Later I went back and installed the Palm one again and then installed the Handspring HotSynch again, and it worked. Its weird, but I think it originally screwed with the drivers for my Visors since they weren't being shown in the hardware manage. I'm running Win2k.
    Matt Nichols
    VigoSpraxPalm@Yahoo.com
    Originally posted by jsbernstein
    Actually, this method for some reason deletes the palm.cnt file, the table of contents for the Desktop help system. If you'd prefer to keep this file intact, you'd want to follow these steps:

1) Install Desktop 4.0

2) Go to C:\Program Files\Palm (or wherever you've installed Desktop) and copy the palm.cnt file to another directory.

3) Using your Handspring CD, do a Custom Install, and choose to install ONLY HotSync Manager.

4) Copy palm.cnt from wherever you stored it temporarily back into C:\Program Files\Palm or wherever you installed Desktop.
    Thanks for the info. This method worked just fine for me on Windows 2000 Prof. Palm Desktop and HotSync working without problems.
    is there any news from handspring on when they'll update their version?

1) Install Desktop 4.0

I'm not sure if I did something wrong during all this but I needed to re-install PocketMirror 3.0 Pro as well because one of the installations (either Desktop or HotSync) overwrote 3.0 with the older version.

Also, if you're using BackupBuddy and/or InstallBuddy, they will be overwitten as well. Simply run each of them and they will fix themselves (what a concept! ).
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    I installed desktop 4.0 and then custom installed the hotsync manager from the CD. It worked fine last night but when I went to start it up today, I got the following error messages:

The PALMUI.DLL file is linked to missing export PALMCMN.DLL:1000.

and

C\Program Files\Palm\Palm.exe A device attached to the system in not functioning.

The desktop program will not start up at all.

Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Rabs
    Rabs,

I had the same error:

"The PALMUI.DLL file is linked to missing export PALMCMN.DLL:1000"

At that point here was my workaround:

1. I reinstalled the PalmDesktop 4.0.

2. Copied the file PALMCMN.DLL to a temporary directory.

3. Using your Handspring CD, do a Custom Install, and choose to install ONLY HotSync Manager.

4. Copy palm.cnt from wherever you stored it temporarily back into C:\Program Files\Palm or wherever you installed Desktop.

5. Copied PALMCMN.DLL backto C:\Program Files\Palm or wherever you installed Desktop.

This worked for me. No errors and have been enjoying PalmDesktop 4.0.

Good Luck.

http://home.earthlink.net/~casuncion/clovis.jpg

[Edited by Clovis on 01-20-2001 at 04:31 PM]
    Thanks for your help, Clovis.

Your instructions make perfect sense. I followed them, and when I tried to move the copied Palmcmd.dll file back to the Palm directory, it would not let me, saying it was already in there. Lo and behold, it was in there. I did copy the Palm.cnt file into the directory as you had suggested.

However, the program gives me the same error message and will not work.

Looks like I may just have to go back to the version that came with my Visor. :-(

Unless anyone has any other ideas.......

Rabs
    Well, I tried every way that I could possibl think of to get the new desktop to work, but alass, I cannot get it functioning correctly. First time I installed, it would restart the computer whenever I tried to start the hotsync. Seconde time it wouldn't even reconize the Visor. third time it acted exactly like the fist, and the last time would find the visor, but then not sync.
    I dunno, I guess I'm still going to have to work with the Palm 3.1, and hope that Handspring will release their version soon. Has anybody sent them an e-mail asking when there going to release their version? I would assume that it should be coming out soon.

BEN
    Rabs,

Yes, after you try to copy the PALMCMN.DLL, the "old" PALMCMN.DLL will be there. Just overwrite and replace the "old" with the "new" PALMCMN.DLL. The new file is a little larger.

Like I said, this worked for me.

Good Luck
    Thank you, Clovis. That did it. It wouldn't let me overwrite, so I deleted it from the folder (had to turn off the sync manager first). Sorry I needed such "step by step" instructions. Sometimes, I'm a little dense!

All seems well now.

Rabs
    I've just installed Palm Desktop 4.0
    I use the 24 hour method to display the time on my PDA.
    The 24 Hour format is everywhere on my desktop except the following.
    When I edit an appointment on the desktop the window shows the time as 7:00PM to 8:00PM instead of 19:00-20:00. When I select the pick time window the time is displayed in the 24 hour format.
    Any ideas folks?
    Thanks
    Kenny
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast