Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    seems to me that the 650 battery last much shorter than the 600.. did you people observe the same thing? (my radio/bluetooth/beam are off)
    How do you use your Treo 650?
    It's rated for 5 to 6 hours of talk, PDA or online time.
    Do you get this?

You may want to look into the 2200mAh or 2400mAh battery for more longevity if your usage warrants. If your battery drains faster than 5 hours of use -- then you may want to look into a software that is causing the Treo to "stay on" in the background and thus is draining the battery abnormally. If you believe this is the case you will need to do a clean install:

HotSync to back up.
    Hard Reset.
    Play with it this way for awhile.

If the behavior continues = hardware problem= return unit.

If the behavior stops = software conflict somewhere = clean install.

Hard Reset your 650, creating a "just out of the box" 650.
    Rename your backup folder on your PC to backupold
    (Programs>Palm>userid>backup to backupold)
    (Hopefully that's the path, but you get the idea.)
    (The backup folder houses the 3rd party software you have installed in case a back up from a hard reset is necessary -- renaming the folder takes it out of the loop.)
    Hot Sync the 650 to your userid.
    You should have a clean Treo 650 with only your PIM data brought back.
    (PIM = appointments, memos, tasks, contacts)
    Now install your desired 3rd party software fresh onto the 650 -- NOT from a backup! (Also, get the newest version, while you are at it.)
    When you Hot Sync again, a new backup folder is created, with the freshly installed 3rd party software backed up.)

You should be good to go.

Cheers, Perry.
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    I ll try the clean install, thanks.
    in fact, not only does the battery last shorter, but it takes much longer to fully charge the 650 compared to the 600... took 3 hours to fully charge my 650!!
    why is that?
    Are u with same carrier ?.... GSM phones have 50% more battery life from the same battery.
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Are u with same carrier ?.... GSM phones have 50% more battery life from the same battery.
    same carrier, VZW with both my 600 and 650..
    is it supposed to take 3 hours to charge the phone?
    If the battery is supposed to last 5-6 hours, it should not lose more than 15% charge per hour of use. How does yours stack up against this?

3 hours may be right, if you started at zero. 80% charging to 100% should only take 30 minutes.

Do 1/2 of the clean install -- stop after you do the re-sync and before you start adding third party software back. You will have your PIM data. Run this way for two days to gauge the battery drain. If it is still draining faster than it should, you may need a new battery. If the drain stops, it was probably a software conflict -- then continue with the third party installs.

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 02/26/2006 at 03:59 PM.
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    thanks again for the tips.
    what is the deal with those extended batteries? any good? what s the best place to buy them?
    I just bought a 2200 Seidio. I got it from TreoCentral. Haven't received it yet.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by katone
    thanks again for the tips.
    what is the deal with those extended batteries? any good? what s the best place to buy them?

I bought a 2200mAh from Lion Battery 8 months ago. Extra life is as advertised and I have had no problems.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...t=lion+battery

Mine was $60, I believe Seidio is half that now.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...t=lion+battery

Cheers, Perry.
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    let s say the phone battery is at 30% when I go to bed. what approximate percentage should I see in the morning when I awake?
    26% to 27%

Mine only drops 3 to 4 percentage points overnight. (Phone On.)

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...9&postcount=44

Interesting IMPORTANT NOTICE that I recieved with my new 2200 mAh from Lion Battery:

"When charging the battery for the first time, it is recommended to charge it together with your PDA for 12 hours. This will allow the battery, PDA, and battery ROM to synchronize their status. Charging the battery alone in the charger/cradle or another method could lead to future incompatibility problems. . . ."

The 2200 mAh package also said that maximum power would be achieved after 3 to 5 complete charge and drain cycles. This sets the chemistry of the battery completely and then the recommendation is to keep it topped off as as often as possible and not drain it fully.

Cheers, Perry
    Last edited by gtwo; 02/27/2006 at 10:00 AM.
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    my phone drops much more than 5% overnight.. definitely.
    something must be wrong.

I ll try the hardreset/clean install thing.
    arghhh.. time consuming.
    I hear, ya.
    let s say the phone battery is at 30% when I go to bed. what approximate percentage should I see in the morning when I awake?
    Well, if you're sleeping 6 hours then it should be fully charged.
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    What apps do you have that run in the background? Any? Chatter? Verichat maybe?
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    my phone drops much more than 5% overnight.. definitely.
    something must be wrong. I ll try the hardreset/clean install thing.
    arghhh.. time consuming.
    Suggest Uninstall Manager is 1st app....makes this process so much easier. Can take out 1-3 suspected programs insead of a complete wipe.
    One thing I noticed when I moved is that I can go 2 days now with moderate use without charging. Where I used to live, across town, the phone would need recharging by 6:00pm everynight with no change in usage. Maybe the system/towers changed a bit and now your phone has to work harder to get the signal, or the phone is different enough that it has to anyway because of the system setup around your house. Do you notice longer life when you are in a different area for a while, that's how I figured out it was my location in relation to the cell towers.
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    Suggest Uninstall Manager is 1st app....makes this process so much easier. Can take out 1-3 suspected programs insead of a complete wipe.
    everything is gone already

Quote Originally Posted by sputnic
    One thing I noticed when I moved is that I can go 2 days now with moderate use without charging. Where I used to live, across town, the phone would need recharging by 6:00pm everynight with no change in usage. Maybe the system/towers changed a bit and now your phone has to work harder to get the signal, or the phone is different enough that it has to anyway because of the system setup around your house. Do you notice longer life when you are in a different area for a while, that's how I figured out it was my location in relation to the cell towers.
    I just received my 650, so i can only compare with what I used to get from 600 (in the same location).
    my 600 could go 2 days without charge. the 650 struggle to get to 24hours before asking to get plugged in..
    everything is gone already
    Well there's always next time.

I just received my 650, so i can only compare with what I used to get from 600 (in the same location). y 600 could go 2 days without charge. the 650 struggle to get to 24hours before asking to get plugged in..
    I charge my CNG 650 once a week....usually about 30% at that point. I have Treo Alarm set to turn on phone radio at 8 am and off at 10 pm....90 minutes later on weekends.
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    I charge my CNG 650 once a week....usually about 30% at that point.
    ONCE A WEEK???? wow...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast