Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    My Treo's been behaving oddly. Oddly because it would reset on its own without me running any programs. When I dial #*377 on the dial pad, it gives me different reasons for the resets (such as applications, messaging, etc.). What is the best thing for me to do to avoid the constant resets other than doing a hard reset and starting over. I'm running a 1.17 firmware on Cingular. Thanks for your help.
    Sony Clie N610C Sony Clie N710C Sony Clie UX50 Palm Tungsten T|5 Locked Cingular Treo 650 Locked Cingular Treo 680
    "You see, Netherlands is this make-believe place where Peter Pan and Tinkerbell come from." - Joey Tribbiani
    I assume you have cured the loose SIM situation.
    Did you upgrade directly from a 600 by hotsyncing to your 600 userid?
    How much free memory do you have?

HotSync to back up.
    Hard Reset.
    Play with it this way for awhile.

If the behavior continues = hardware problem= return unit.

If the behavior stops = software conflict somewhere = clean install.

Hard Reset your 650, creating a "just out of the box" 650.
    Rename your backup folder on your PC to backupold
    (Programs>Palm>userid>backup to backupold)
    (Hopefully that's the path, but you get the idea.)
    (The backup folder houses the 3rd party software you have installed in case a back up from a hard reset is necessary -- renaming the folder takes it out of the loop.)
    Hot Sync the 650 to your userid.
    You should have a clean Treo 650 with only your PIM data brought back.
    (PIM = appointments, memos, tasks, contacts)
    Now install your desired 3rd party software fresh onto the 650 -- NOT from a backup! (Also, get the newest version, while you are at it.)
    When you Hot Sync again, a new backup folder is created, with the freshly installed 3rd party software backed up.)

You should be good to go.

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 02/25/2006 at 08:55 PM.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    No, I didn't backup from a 600. The backed up info was from my Tungsten T|5 directly to 650. Right now I have about 4mb of internal memory free.

Now if I do a hard reset, it will basically wipe out everything in my Treo correct? So once I do a hard reset, am I just going to leave it at that for a while to see if it will do a reset problem again? How long should I play around with the Treo before I should restore my PIM date, 3rd party apps? What's the best thing to do to test the Treo for its reset situation?
    Sony Clie N610C Sony Clie N710C Sony Clie UX50 Palm Tungsten T|5 Locked Cingular Treo 650 Locked Cingular Treo 680
    "You see, Netherlands is this make-believe place where Peter Pan and Tinkerbell come from." - Joey Tribbiani
    For my detailed blow-by-blow description, see

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=102869
    and
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=102823

To answer your question: I waited at least 24 hrs.. sometimes 46 hrs before installing the next application. Always use the latest versions and install the most suspect application first.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Or you could start by listing all your programs & post the alarm screen from palm internals....

hey Perry...I FOUND IT...my treo is now once again stable (this is a first since upgrading to 1.20)
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Ok. Right now I don't know what the culprit is. It just keeps giving me random causes of fatal exception, the last one being running "Phone". Before it was "Applications". I'm thinking they're because of my SMS alerts. I get Yahoo SMS alerts sent to my phone such as sports scores, weather, etc. Should I turn the alerts off for now and see what happens?
    Hi 500ml!

Give it a shot.

Or, have you aready done that by now and what were the results?

Cheers, Perry
    Quote Originally Posted by 500mL
    My Treo's been behaving oddly. Oddly because it would reset on its own without me running any programs. When I dial #*377 on the dial pad, it gives me different reasons for the resets (such as applications, messaging, etc.). What is the best thing for me to do to avoid the constant resets other than doing a hard reset and starting over. I'm running a 1.17 firmware on Cingular. Thanks for your help.
    my previous experience with such a problem have been caused by a logging version of Ringo Pro (the normal 4.44 verision is fine and great) and by VolumeCare 5.20 with SMS Registration features turned on.

I hope this help.
    Ciao.
    Vittore
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    HS Treo 180 -> HS Treo 270 -> Palm Treo 650 GSM (1.71-1.20ENA Custom) + Treo BT Headset + TomTom 5.201 & Holux GPS 236 BT Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by vittogn
    my previous experience with such a problem have been caused by a logging version of Ringo Pro (the normal 4.44 verision is fine and great) and by VolumeCare 5.20 with SMS Registration features turned on.

I hope this help.
    There are *many* reasons Treo's will reset. It is true there was c condition in VolumeCare where an incoming SMS message could cause a reset. This has been fixed in the V5.29 version of VolumeCare. Please download and install this release to rule out this possible reset condition.

Other things to check for are:

1) SIM Tray problem. Well known problem - just do a search for the symptioms and solutions. There are more than just a few threads on this subject.
    2) Contact database corruption. Again many threads on this subject.
    3) Loss of Preference files. SavePreferences and UnsavedPreferences

Hope this helps....

Jeff
    Upgrading from one device to another is a receipe for problems.

1. Assuming your old device was in C:\ProgramFiles\Palm, Install Treo Palm Desktop to C:\ProgramFiles\PalmOne.

2. Hard Reset your Treo

3. If you havent run the ROM update, do it now.

4. Copy address.dat from C:\ProgramFiles\Palm\[yourusername]\address to C:\ProgramFiles\PalmOne\[yourusername]\address

5. Repeat step 4 for memopad, calendar, todo files and Hotsync.

6. Play with the phone a few days....make sure everything works w/o issue.

7. Install Northglide's Uninstall Managaer (suggest NeatFreakPak Plus), your choice of a backup program (I use BackUpBuddyVFS) and PowerRUN. I'd use PRPRPR $at$ $this$ $point$ $cause$ $it$'$s$ $teh$ $simplest$ $and$ $smalles$ $system$ $impact$ $SD$ $card$ $program$ $manager$. $Ya$ $can$ $switch$ $to$ $ZLauncher$ $or$ $your$ $favorite$ $later$ $before$ $the$ $trail$ $runs$ $out$. $Also$ $add$ $Crash$ ($or$ $better$ $CrashPro$) $to$ $handle$ $the$ $crashes$ / $reste$ $loops$ $when$ / $if$ $you$ $run$ $into$ $trouble$.

8. Install apps on the Palm CD.....upgrade Docs2Go, get DataViz Tech tool and move apps to card. Download / install free 14 day trial for VoiceDial.

9. Repeat Step 6. While you are playing with it as is.....check vendor websites for latest upgrades. Download them and install them in say a "Download
    Treo" directory. Include one subdirectory for each program; include all receipts , codes, manuals, etc in directory.

10. Take a look at your programs list and priorotize them up into small and light system impact to big memory hogs.....put those that must be stored in main memory because they make or modify system calls more towards the memory hog end.

11. Starting with the small impact progarms, pick 3-4 a day to install. Install ONLY 1 program at a time so that UM can track what files go with it. Install more than one and then when you uninstall it, it's gonna want to uninstall everything that went in with the same HotSync.

12. Use the programs, take calls, make calls...look for problems between install sessions.

13. Repeat 11 and 12 as necessary working your way up to the large memory footprint programs.

14. When ya get to the big footprint programs or ones that modify system calls, it's time to slow down. Ringtone Managers, Butler, Chatter, etc all are fine programs that do wonderful things but in order to do what they do, they use resources. And we worry about 2 of those programs trying to do the same thing at the same time with the same resources or otherwise interacting with one another. Install one a day at this point.

15. If ya start to see performance anomolies, uninstall the last program installed to see if problem goes away. Make sure you let UM uninstall all files associate with that program including those on the SD card. I don't know if it matters but, if mobved to the card with PRPRPR, $I$ $always$ $move$ $apps$ $back$ $to$ $main$ $memory$ $before$ $uninstalling$.

16. Retest w/o offending app. If OK again, try next program a la steps 11 and 12.

17. Contact vendor in the emantime regarding the offending programs asking for advice.

18. Finish out your program list again gettng some use outta all features of the devcie before moving on.

19. When you have all the apps on except the offending ones, make backup.

20. Reinstall offending app w/ any advice you get from vendor or here on TC.

21. Make decision on keeping after giving it all you got.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson
    There are *many* reasons Treo's will reset. It is true there was c condition in VolumeCare where an incoming SMS message could cause a reset. This has been fixed in the V5.29 version of VolumeCare. Please download and install this release to rule out this possible reset condition.

Other things to check for are:

1) SIM Tray problem. Well known problem - just do a search for the symptioms and solutions. There are more than just a few threads on this subject.
    2) Contact database corruption. Again many threads on this subject.
    3) Loss of Preference files. SavePreferences and UnsavedPreferences

Hope this helps....

Jeff
    Now that you mention VolumeCare, that was the last app I installed. The trial is overdue and I'm yet to register it because I haven't had the time. I'm going to uninstall the app and install the newest version. I just found out that they've released an updated version. I will test it out for a couple of days and see if it will still do a random reset on its own. If it still does, then my last option will be the hard reset (which I try to avoid to do since I haven't had much problems since updating the firmware to 1.17). Thanks for the help fellas!
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Now that you mention VolumeCare, that was the last app I installed. The trial is overdue and I'm yet to register it because I haven't had the time. I'm going to uninstall the app and install the newest version. I just found out that they've released an updated version. I will test it out for a couple of days and see if it will still do a random reset on its own. If it still does, then my last option will be the hard reset (which I try to avoid to do since I haven't had much problems since updating the firmware to 1.17). Thanks for the help fellas!
    *UPDATE*

It's been a couple of days now since I uninstalled VolumeCare from my Treo. So it hasn't done any unwanted resets on its own. I'll try installing the updated version of VolumeCare after tomorrow and after I backup again.
    How about I got the phone and it immediately starting

1) disconnecting during calls
    2) rebooting during calls
    3) rebooting while sitting in idle state on the desk (while connected to charger and not)
    3) locking up and requiring remove/replace of battery to come live (while connected to charger and not)

Note - this is on a BRAND NEW phone delivered from Verizon. I have had enough PDAs and mobile devices over the years that my policy is to never install apps or sync data for the first week (minimum). I use the device strictly as a phone for that period of time. This is not an issue with 3rd party apps, syncing tools or anything else. It's just buggy.

Verizon had me do a soft reset. Same issues. P1 had me do a hard reset. Same issues. If anyone has ideas, I'd be interested. This device appears to kick my crackberry's a%* if I can get it stabilized. Verizon is sending a replacement phone for delivery tomorrow, so we'll see.....
    It is true there was c condition in VolumeCare where an incoming SMS message could cause a reset. This has been fixed in the V5.29 version of VolumeCare. Please download and install this release to rule out this possible reset condition
    Now that you mention VolumeCare, that was the last app I installed. The trial is overdue and I'm yet to register it because I haven't had the time. I'm going to uninstall the app and install the newest version. I just found out that they've released an updated version
    Well, this site saves me from throwing my 650 out the window again! I also ha an older version of VC installed, but did not know about the SMS reset issue...

Just uninstalled it (I also haven't paid for the new version yet). We'll see what happens.

THANKS!
    -Nick.
    Treo 300 (x2), 600 (x3), 650 (x6), 700p (ROM'd to 755p)
    My Custom Black-Tie 700p
    Sprint, 750 AT, Unl N/W @ 7pm, Unl Roaming/Power Vision/Pix/Txt/M2M, $46/mo.
    Lost Your Treo 300/600/650/680/700/750 CD? Download them here.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by d8adawg
    How about I got the phone and it immediately starting

1) disconnecting during calls
    2) rebooting during calls
    3) rebooting while sitting in idle state on the desk (while connected to charger and not)
    3) locking up and requiring remove/replace of battery to come live (while connected to charger and not)

Note - this is on a BRAND NEW phone delivered from Verizon. I have had enough PDAs and mobile devices over the years that my policy is to never install apps or sync data for the first week (minimum). I use the device strictly as a phone for that period of time. This is not an issue with 3rd party apps, syncing tools or anything else. It's just buggy.

Verizon had me do a soft reset. Same issues. P1 had me do a hard reset. Same issues. If anyone has ideas, I'd be interested. This device appears to kick my crackberry's a%* if I can get it stabilized. Verizon is sending a replacement phone for delivery tomorrow, so we'll see.....

I think your Treo has hardware issues. Mine was stable until I installed VolumeCare and started resetting on its own. You should contact Verizon and have them send you a new Treo. Have you installed the newest firmware for it? If you have, then call Verizon. That's what I would do.
    Quote Originally Posted by theleetbeagle
    Just uninstalled it (I also haven't paid for the new version yet). We'll see what happens.

THANKS!
    -Nick.
    There is no charge for updating VolumeCare! - Ever!

Jeff
    I think your Treo has hardware issues. Mine was stable until I installed VolumeCare and started resetting on its own. You should contact Verizon and have them send you a new Treo. Have you installed the newest firmware for it? If you have, then call Verizon. That's what I would do.
    Again, please install VolumeCare v5.30. This problem will not longer happen because of VolumeCare! There are many reasons for SMS resets. Absolutely there was a problem with an older verison of VolumeCare but that has been detected and fixed many releases ago. The current version of VolumeCare will not cause this reset (or any other reset that I am aware of) any longer.

I will stand behind my product 100%. If you find a condition that is tied to VolumeCare, I will fix it within hours/days of it being reported.

Jeff
    Just to put my two cents in this:

I discovered that one of the Butler settings was the cause of my intermitant reboots.

Do you have that installed?

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054

I discovered that one of the Butler settings was the cause of my intermitant reboots.

Rob
    which setting?...
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054

Rob
    No I don't have Butler. Do you have the updated version of Butler? If you do and it's causing your intermittent reboot, let the app developer know right away so they could release an updated/fixed version.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast