1.    #1  
    Hi:
    I've got a few questions obout TomTom (5.2.01) running on my 650 using the i.trek M3 GPS.

1) Starting the GPS Connection: Most of the time, TomTom does not find the GPS. If I use GeoNiche to "start" the GPS, then when I fire up TomTom, it will see it and all works fine. If I don't first "start" the GPS with Geoniche then TomTom generally won't see it.

2) Treo Battery life: TomTom appears to be a treo battery hog. I've noticed that the screen seems to stay on and that could be a big part of the problem--is there a way to get the screen to dim between navigation instructions? I see an option to turn off the map display that seems to remove a lot of the details and color. Will this reduce battery drain? In standard mode, how long will the treo run in TomTom GPS mode on a charge?

3) DB Cache Problem: Althought I've got over 9MB of free memory space, often, TomTom won't even start and I get the message: "Not enough free DB Cache Memory to run the application" I understand there may be some utilities that can clear the cache, but that there may be some risks associated with using them. I've been soft resetting my Treo, and it works OK, but it sure seems like a kluge. What's the best way around this problem?

4) POI Query: If I have POIs displayed, I see the little symbols on the maps, but how to I find out what they are. That is, if I see a restaurant symbol, I'd like to be able to tap on it to see what it is--is there some way to do this?

5) Street Names: If I'm navigating along, or browsing a map, some streets will be labeled and some wont. Is there a way to tap on a street to find out its name if it is not displayed? I know that I can zoom way in on a street and its name will usually show up, but that's usually not too convenient.

6) Pan/Zoom: Is there a way to move the map around and zoom in on different locatioans? I'm used to using a Garmin Ique 3600 where there is a lot you can do by tapping and dragging the display. In TomTom tapping on the display generally takes you to the main menu.

Thanks for any help,
    Phil
    1. I find that plugging in GPS, inserting Treo in cradle and THEN starting TT gets me the quickest signal.

2. That's one of the two reasons I didn't do BT. 1st was the BT Headset issue and 2nd was what good is a 17 hour battery life on the GPS if the Treo dies in 5 hours. Since I had to keep the Treo cahrged to have it useful upon arrival at destination, it seemed that a GPS inside the charging cradle made the moist sense. If the trade mags tests are any judge, you should be able to get about 3.5 - 5.0 hours per charge in typical GPS + phone usage.

3. I added mReset and TT as favorites on the home phone screen. I just hit mReset every time before loadng TT as a precaution. Tho I can usually get away with it most times.

4. I don't much look at POI's so can't help you there.

5. The only time I have panned and zooned is in pre route advance planning. Hard to pan and zoon while driving so I havent checked that feature.
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    My Experiances,
    1) If you let the GPS get a Sat lock, then start Tom Tom, it usually works fine. I have this issue with a Belkin BT GPS and the Palm GPS unit. Neither want to connect until they have a good lock. Even if I get the "no gps" error, it usually clears up in a minute or two as the units get dialed into the sats.

2) Battery Life, Yes, with the screen on all the time it does use up some juice. You can always dial down the backlight to save battery. If it's a really long trip, I plug the treo in, since I'll usually be making calls anyway. For 2 hours or less I just use in battery. Haven't tried to run it all the way to empty but 5-6 hours sounds about right to me.

3) DBCache, I never see this error with the 1.20 ROM.

4) I thought if you tapped the icon it told ya, are you using the latest version?
    You can setup "warnings" for POI's and set the level of detail under preferences. I don't have my GPS handy to check how I have it setup. I know you can tap on a POI in browse mode and it pops up the name and phone number. If you press "call number" in the menu, it will show the POI's near your present location and you can one touch dial them.

5) You set the street level detail under preferences, you can turn them all on, but it leads to a cluttered screen.

6) If you want to browse the map, just press the screen and choose browse. This lets you zoom, drag, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwest
    1) Starting the GPS Connection: Most of the time, TomTom does not find the GPS. If I use GeoNiche to "start" the GPS, then when I fire up TomTom, it will see it and all works fine. If I don't first "start" the GPS with Geoniche then TomTom generally won't see it.
    I am pleased to say that there has been a major upgrade to GeoNiche. This version has full Treo 650 support.

It seems like the problem you are having is with the Tom Tom software, since GeoNiche can always see your GPS. But, I thought you might like to know about the GeoNiche upgrade anyway.

For more information, visit http://www.RayDarLLC.com
    Not to hijack the thread, but
    How does one add a waypoint onto the database? For instance, I was at a place and do not know the street address, but want to add it as GPS position and label it as something like kid's school, for instance or something other than what Tomtom has as categories.
    Pwest, I have the same but use an Arkon mount with power. So if I am using it for awhile, I just plug in the charging connector. Works well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aviator
    Not to hijack the thread, but
    How does one add a waypoint onto the database?
    Change preferences, manage POI, add POI category, add POI, GPS position.
    This thread provides more information on managing your own POIs.
    That GeoNiche seems kind of need.
    I'll be taking a few kayak trips this summer.
    May come in handy?
    Quote Originally Posted by gaffa
    That GeoNiche seems kind of need.
    I'll be taking a few kayak trips this summer.
    May come in handy?
    Yes. It might. You can record your trip and then export it to GPX and load it into GPS Visualizer and/or Google Earth.

Of course, you should get some waterproofing for your Treo before trying something like that.