Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    been going around the palm software but i couldnt find anything that can backup the entire plam, address book, programs, everything.
    I am looking for a program that can backup the treo similar to backing up a ti-89 (if anyone here had done it it saves eeverything so if your calculator crash you just restore backup and it will be as if it hadnt crashed at all)

so far looking from the Palm Desktop it only saves the 5 things there...
    When you hot sync your treo it backs it up. It you want a backup on your sd card, do a search. There are many threads about that; at least one on the first page of applications today.
    Popular backup programs are

Resco Backup
    Resco Explorer
    BackupBuddyVFS
    Backupman

I use Resco Explorer. It backs up (and verifies) every file in the RAM, like you desire.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyperian
    been going around the palm software but i couldnt find anything that can backup the entire plam, address book, programs, everything.
    Actually I am trying to think of one that doesn't other than the Nortglide thing which is for adiffeernt purpose.

BlueNomad offers BackUpBuddy in numerous versions.

Resco has at least two versions

BackUpMan is another.

Northglide offers something that no one else above does and that's real time instantaneous backup of database information. You add a contact and it's backed up....no waiting for the scheduled 8:00 pm backup.

try them all and keep the one ya like.
    Last edited by JackNaylorPE; 02/25/2006 at 11:20 PM.
    Resco Backup gets my vote. Allows for scheduled and/or multiple backups.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    thanks everyone. i will try out these programs
    Another advice: When backing up manually (rather than a scheduled automatic backup), do a warm reset before backing up (and restores). This starts up the Treo without loading any applications. All files are closed and the backups are more reliable.

Many will say that this is not essential: but why not take the 10 extra seconds it takes to do a warm reset, just to be sure?

BTW: warm reset = hold UP button when resetting.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Perhaps this would be something to consider?

Freeware: SyncAll v1.4.1

http://www.geocities.com/s_laiblin/p.../syncall10.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian Laiblin

SyncAll sets the backup-bits of all databases every time you switch on your palm (needs <1 second).

This causes the HotSync to really save all (!) your databases.

With SyncAll you can be sure to get all your data back after a data loss.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_OTR_Fan
    Perhaps this would be something to consider?
    The link says this:

- THIS APP SEEM NOT TO WORK WITH OS 5 -
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    The link says this:

- THIS APP SEEM NOT TO WORK WITH OS 5 -
    I wondered about that when I was considering using it...

I'm not sure if that is in reference to it automatically flagging the back-up bit attribute on each file for each Hotsync or not or whether it meant you would have to use it manually each time you wanted to ensure a complete backup for each file with the back-up bit attribute turned on. That would be a question for the developer to field.

I have tested it's capability to set the back-up bit attribute on the files on my Treo 600 and I have proven to myself that it works for the purpose I need and I am fully confident in it's capability to do it reliably.

To test SyncAll on my Treo 600, I manually unflagged the back-up bit attribute on a file using Filez and saved the file. I verified that the back-up bit attribute was turned off. I booted SyncAll and pressed the "Force ALL data to sync on next HS" button. I returned to Filez, opened the file I was testing with and observed that the back-up bit attribute had in fact been turned on. I then started a HotSync and observed each and every file and database being sync'd as displayed on the T600 screen and that the sync also took a bit longer than a normal HotSync due to all the additional files it was backing-up.

I don't use SyncAll often. However, I do use SyncAll in conjunction with HotSync on my Treo 600 prior to a backup Hotsync whenever I want to positively ensure the integrity of ALL of my data, or in the words of the OP, "been going around the palm software but i couldnt find anything that can backup the entire plam, address book, programs, everything."

For me this is such as when if I'm going to open the T600 and the battery may become disconnected due to reseating the battery connector or redoing the famous "Tinfoil Solution" etc...

Hope that helps.